Loose Moose

B

baste mon cue

friend gave me a couple of moose roasts - now I'm looking for a good way to smoke 'em. Previous ventures with rub and garlic inserted were good but not great. Any suggestions?

I would inject using Dr. BBQ's beef injection and then rub as normal. Throw some bacon on top of the roasts or if you have some extra fat from briskets you can put a couple chunks of fat above the roast to baste the meat and keep moist. Use a spritzing sauce of Jack Daniels, or whiskey of choice, and apple juice, and spritz every 45 minutes or so. After a couple hours in the smoke I would move to a foil pan and put some juice and some beef base in the bottome of it to keep it from drying out too much. I'd pull off the grill at internal temp of 195 or so.

What kind of roasts are they? Depending on that you have a few options like flavor smoking followed by a braised finish. Or maybe butterflying and stuffing, or even marinating and grilling. If you like meatloaf, another option is to grind it and mix in some fatty beef or ground pork.

Moose is so lean, and certain cuts should be eaten no more well done than medium...... The good thing is that they have a mellow wild game taste, so disguising the natural flavor is not a factor like it is with other game.

I would inject using Dr. BBQ's beef injection and then rub as normal. Throw some bacon on top of the roasts or if you have some extra fat from briskets you can put a couple chunks of fat above the roast to baste the meat and keep moist. Use a spritzing sauce of Jack Daniels, or whiskey of choice, and apple juice, and spritz every 45 minutes or so. After a couple hours in the smoke I would move to a foil pan and put some juice and some beef base in the bottome of it to keep it from drying out too much. I'd pull off the grill at internal temp of 195 or so.

Yeah, I forgot all about injecting...and you could add a little butter or oil to the injection too. My Granny used to lard game roasts. She had a larding needle (half round kind) and you speared the meat leaving strips of lard behind when you withdrew the needle.

Back