• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Saturday night Paella on the Grill /PrOn

Thespanishgrill

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Got tired of being beaten up on the brisket front for the past month or so , decided to go back to what I know, PAELLA on the grill ! and it was one of my best. The new 26 inch weber worked great, now I can get a bigger Paella pan =).

Happy Sunday everyone

Attachments

• Paella ingredients small.jpg
    Paella ingredients small.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 194
  • Paella on the grill smalll.jpg
    Paella on the grill smalll.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 194
  • Paella shrimp small.jpg
    Paella shrimp small.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 195
  • Paella the payoff small.jpg
    Paella the payoff small.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 196
Hi George,

Since I don't work by recipe let me try this.

EVOO saute sausage to flavor oil then I add onions, usually around a half onion. Saute til soft, add tomato mixture - premade or your favorite saute, add salt and saffron and smokey paprika if you have it. Let thicken a little then add stock based on the amount of rice and size of pan, I only had veg but would usually go for seafood with seafood but it doesn't make much difference.

I just keep adding until I get the flavor, texture and smell that I want. Keep tasting the broth since that's what the rice will taste like =)
When you get a rolling type boil Add Arborio or Bomba rice see instructions on box vs liquid based on the size paella pan you are using.
I usually add the water to the pan in the kitchen even before i start cooking to the rivet area in my pan and leaving enough room from the top so it doesnt overflow so I know how much stock i will need when I start cooking. I do this so i know what im in for liquid to water to pan size. Ii have overflowed a few and it's a huge mess .

Timing the ingredients is key, shellfish take longer than shrimp and squid need to be sauted early in my opinion, salmon chunks are nice too. Just have to gauge the time for the rice and work around that.
Once the crusty bubbles are going and most of the water is has been absorbed I'll pull it and let it set up for about 3-5 minutes.
You can arrange the food as art on the top and expect it to look like that if you don't stir things. I tried to do the Spanish flag from red and yellow peppers on top but the light was a bit low.

On a side note watch this video, this is an old timer paella cook, watch the steps and just copy with what you have. It's really just the method of steps. I miss this show. I hope this helped.

Check the 14 minute mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE9DjaAaWrs

All the best, let me know how it worked out.

Yea man, that looks great. Bet you are glad you went with the 26.75! How much charcoal did you use, a single layer? Lump or brickettes?

Funny you should ask, I am hella glad I went with the 26, I've only cooked on it 2-3 times so far. It takes a minute to get used to the added space and additional fuel.
I used a whole starter of charcoal which on my old 22 was fine, but after I spread them out on this one, I didn't have enough heat after letting them go to white to keep the water boiling so I pulled the paella added another layer of unlit ontop and in 5 minutes I was cooking again with enough heat.
I think next time I might just have a layer of unlit then add the lit to it I'm still working on it.
I used KBB, which I'm only using to get rid of as i don't really care for it all the much. Too much smoke and not the kind I'm looking for. I just scored a few big bags of Royal Oak at HD this weekend for like 12 bucks a bag. I'll give that a try next round. It worked out fine but it needs a little work.

Cheers

Funny you should ask, I am hella glad I went with the 26, I've only cooked on it 2-3 times so far. It takes a minute to get used to the added space and additional fuel.
I used a whole starter of charcoal which on my old 22 was fine, but after I spread them out on this one, I didn't have enough heat after letting them go to white to keep the water boiling so I pulled the paella added another layer of unlit ontop and in 5 minutes I was cooking again with enough heat.
I think next time I might just have a layer of unlit then add the lit to it I'm still working on it.
I used KBB, which I'm only using to get rid of as i don't really care for it all the much. Too much smoke and not the kind I'm looking for. I just scored a few big bags of Royal Oak at HD this weekend for like 12 bucks a bag. I'll give that a try next round. It worked out fine but it needs a little work.

Cheers

Yea, I love my 26.75 OGT. Most of the time I'm only cooking on 1/4-1/2 of the grill. FYI, I've had real good luck with Stubbs brickettes (better burn & less ash) or Cowboy lump, but lately my home-made lump is taking center stage.

PS: I have a 15" paella pan but I'm thinking a 22" or 24" is on my Christmas list.

Socarrot was there, maybe a tad but more than I would have preferred due to having to add more unlit to get the temp up to keep the stock boiling. Family was pining away for dinner.
Gotta love the crunch!!!

I regards to the stubbs I actually just tried it last week I prefer it over kbb but it's a bit more expensive.
9per bag, the big kbb was on sale two for 13. If I ever see stubbs on sale I'll pick up a dozen and just shelf them. Doubt I'll get kbb moving forward.
I grabbed 4 large royal oak so that will keep me busy for a while. Lol who says coal in my stocking for Xmas will be a bad thing lol bring it Mr C. Just bring it.... :)

Next weekend will be the salmon and clam paella with Albanrino, my favorite

Back