• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Canadian Bacon - Brine question

jcpetro97

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Question... I had put a pork loin in to brine last week, and today should be the day I am supposed to get it on the smoker. I am going to attempt to get that done tonight, but if for some reason I can't, is my best bet, to get it out of the brine, and vac-u-suck it, and throw it back in the fridge for a couple days until I am ready for it, or should I just leave it in the brine...

My best Canadian Bacon results include a 1 day "soak out" in a stainless steel pot in the fridge and then 2 days drying in the fridge on racks uncovered. Going straight from the brine to the smoker returned less than stellar results. Think slimy and salty... Cheers!!!

Real Canadian bacon is not smoked. (coming from a REAL Canadian).

I do the dry cure method and mine turns out perfect, just like home....

Real Canadian bacon is not smoked. (coming from a REAL Canadian).

I do the dry cure method and mine turns out perfect, just like home....

Please start a thread telling us how to make Canadian bacon, just like home!:clap:

Was it the Canadians that finally decided that bacon does not come from the belly? I too use the dry cure.

My recipe is pretty simple. Take a pork loin roast, Morton's quick cure by weight along with 1 teaspoon of turbano sugar per pound. Dry rub this all over a paper towel dried roast. Stick in a zip lock or Tupperware container in the fridge for 4 or 5 days.

Twice daily massage your meat. :wink:

When cured, rinse off and let it soak in a bowl in the sink fully submerged for an hour.

Dry off with paper towel.

Liberally rub cornmeal on the outside. Stick back in your waterless bowl into the fridge uncovered for about 6 hours.

Cut into slices and fry in a frying pan.

Goes well with beer and hockey....

LONZINO anyone?

try this one - I have been making this for a couple of years..
HPIM0999_640x480.JPG

only thing I do different from the recipe is:

I do not stuff into a casing -
just put it into elastic netting and hang it to dry..

excellent taste !! (sliced thin, plate it and a quick turn of the peppermill on it - use as a snack with a very dry martini !!):mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/lonzino.pdf

Bresaola%20%26%20Lonzino.JPG

Back