MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:43 PM   #1
Zombie Barbecue
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Anything Butt question

Since the rules are pretty vague on Chefs Choice/Anything Butt category at each comp and within KCBS, I need help with this question. Can you pre-brine or pre-season a chefs choice before a comp? Does your chefs choice even get inspected? For example, if I were to do a salmon would it need to be completely raw and untouched or could I preseason it a day before the comp? any info helps.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:53 PM   #2
4 smokin butts
Full Fledged Farker

normaly no rules apply
4 smokin butts is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2011, 10:42 PM   #3
Just Smokin' Around
Full Fledged Farker

I would ask the organizer. Most I've seen have rules that say it must be prepared on site just like the KCBS meats. I've even had the product inspected with my regular KCBS meats. With dessert's, they may only say not store bought. So, you could make it at home and bring it. Like you said, the rules are usually pretty vague and never well defined up front. You may have asked questions up front, but not everyone did. You get there, and everybody understood the rules differently, so you end up with a lot of confusion sometimes. I've seen them say 'no rules' only to find out there are rules when you get there - like turn in containers and trays. That's one reason we stopped doing them.

So, if they say no rules or don't specify, prep in advance. That's how you understood the rules. Just don't tell anybody. It'll only add to the confusion. Good luck.

BTW - KCBS has nothing to do with rules for non-KCBS categories. It's all the organizer.
Medium BGE, Weber Kettle and gasser, other toys
Just Smokin' Around is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2011, 11:10 PM   #4
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Smokin' Around View Post
I would ask the organizer. Most I've seen have rules that say it must be prepared on site just like the KCBS meats. I've even had the product inspected with my regular KCBS meats. With dessert's, they may only say not store bought. So, you could make it at home and bring it. Like you said, the rules are usually pretty vague and never well defined up front. You may have asked questions up front, but not everyone did. You get there, and everybody understood the rules differently, so you end up with a lot of confusion sometimes. I've seen them say 'no rules' only to find out there are rules when you get there - like turn in containers and trays. That's one reason we stopped doing them.

So, if they say no rules or don't specify, prep in advance. That's how you understood the rules. Just don't tell anybody. It'll only add to the confusion. Good luck.

BTW - KCBS has nothing to do with rules for non-KCBS categories. It's all the organizer.
Pleasant Hill spells out that it CAN be pre-cooked.
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2011, 11:28 PM   #5
Is It Ready Yet?
On the road to being a farker

No rules. Just make something good.

[B]XL Green Egg[/B]
[B]Medium Spicewine[/B]
[B]26.75 Weber Kettle[/B]
[B]22.5 Weber Kettle[/B]
[B]Is It Ready Yet? BBQ Team[/B]
Is It Ready Yet? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2011, 08:14 AM   #6
Hub
Full Fledged Farker

There are no KCBS rules for this category, but event organizers may issue some. Thus, its a good idea to check with them.
NOS American Made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
Author of [I][FONT=Times New Roman]Burn It In The Back Yard[/FONT][/I]
Grillin' and Smokin' like crazy for over 40 years :whoo:
[COLOR=red][I]There's No Smoke Alarm In My Outdoor Kitchen![/I][/COLOR]
Hub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2011, 09:14 AM   #7
slowerlowerbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Is this for Pork In The Park? We did that one last year and it's pretty wide open as far as what you want to do. I also don't remember the inspectors even looking for our entries.

This is pretty much the rules right from the application:

___Anything Butt (Anything other than KCBS category meats, prepared on site.
Seafood is included in this category. If cooked, wood or charcoal only must be used.)

I would say you are pretty safe to pre-season, just dont microwave it
KCBS
MABA
180 CHICKEN - KEYSTONE CLASSIC BARBEQUE, HARRISBURG, PA (10/4/2014)
slowerlowerbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2011, 09:47 AM   #8
Zombie Barbecue
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowerlowerbbq View Post
Is this for Pork In The Park? We did that one last year and it's pretty wide open as far as what you want to do. I also don't remember the inspectors even looking for our entries.

This is pretty much the rules right from the application:

___Anything Butt (Anything other than KCBS category meats, prepared on site.
Seafood is included in this category. If cooked, wood or charcoal only must be used.)

I would say you are pretty safe to pre-season, just dont microwave it

We only use the microwave for our briskets. yeah for pork in the park and for any others this season. The part of the rules Im questioning is the "must be prepared on site" again, pretty vague. Im cooking it on site but I'd like a good 24 hour brine to do ahead of time. I'd just hate to spend the cash and then get there and be told otherwise. if that's the case than Burger King Stacker casserole will be the turn in. Thanks for the info everybody.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:40 AM   #9
slowerlowerbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Yeah, I hear ya. I almost got burned with the sausage category at Shrewsbury last year by interpreting the rules. Had to improvise after the cooks meeting when I found out it was sausage ONLY! Anyhow, contact Sandy Fulton, she does an awesome job and get you an answer pretty quickly. PM me if you need her email address.

Good Luck and see ya in Salisbury!
KCBS
MABA
180 CHICKEN - KEYSTONE CLASSIC BARBEQUE, HARRISBURG, PA (10/4/2014)
slowerlowerbbq is offline   Reply With Quote