UDS Fuel?????

K

kenny

My brother and me are building 2 UDS'. Getting close to finish and some hard core testing, and cooking. My question is what type of fuel is most commonly used? We are use to cooking on wood alone. I have a 20 pound baf of Royal Oak Briqqutes and a 8 pound bag of cowboy lump charcoal. I plan on adding apple, oak, and hickory to the basket to give a little traditional smoke flavor. How much, what arrangement, should I plan to use? Thanks for the help.

I use Kingsford briqs in my UDS...

As far as smokewoods...I use 3-4 fist sized chunks for low-n-slows a couple on top and a couple buried in the coals.

When I do a long smoke I normally put on 3 to 4 fist size chunks, usually 1 part hickory and the rest fruit. On shorter smokes or poultry usually just 1 good sized chunk will do.
I just arrange them around the outside of the basket and let it go.
I have used both lump and kingsford and actually prefer the briquettes for long smokes, just seems the temps are more stable for longer.

Good luck.

Ken

Royal Oak lump and a few fist size, or larger, pieces of
the wood of the day.

Dont know if I have ever seen Royal Oak Lump? Might just need to open my eyes!!

Do you have a circular fire box? I only made two UDS, did a cook in each. I had a 16 inch diameter fire box. I always started the fire in the middle, may be starting on the outside would be better.

My UDS only likes kingsford with four fist size hunks of apple. Nothing else works. WEIRD!

And don't be too surprised at the low fuel usage... these things get great gas mileage, although your mileage may vary.

I have read that your suppose to start your fire at the top and let it burn burn down. If you start at the bottom you will not be able to control the rate of burn/ temp. Any turth to this??

I haven't a clue I always use the menion method.

+1 on the Minion method. This "system" works great on any barrel type cooker...I've used it very successfully on the WSM and inexpensive Brinkmann cookers. Fuel economy and temp control are your friend!!

I use B&B 100 % Lump Oak Charcoal available at Acadamy Sports in this area. It gives a great taste and much, much better than briqetts. Always start you burn from the top!

Lump creates much less ash than briquets.

If you've built the standard Norco tutorial version, then clean up ease is important. The less ash the better.

What is the Minion System???

The Minion Method involves lighting only a portion of your charcoal, which gives you much longer cook times. Do a google search for more info.

I use 9 lbs of Royal Oak briqs or RO lump they both work good. I noticed with the outside temps below 32 degrees it takes my UDS almost two hours to get temp over 275. I've been doing the high temp cook, I like the results.

What is the Minion System???

I don't have a drum, but I do use a variation of the Minion Method. I fill my charcoal basket full of unlit coal and then light one of those Weber firestarter cubes in one corner.

FWIW, I prefer lump over briquettes because the lump doesn't create as much ash and because I'm leery of what they use to hold the briquettes together. I'm not a snob and use them both, but I prefer lump.

I prefer Kingsford briquettes in both my UDS and the WSM. (I have four teenage boys, so I don't worry much about clean up, they do it...:icon_devil) Briquettes gives me longer burn time in the UDS, which tends to run hot if I use lump. Pecan, Apple or Oak are my favorite woods.

Never use cowboy lump if you plan on actually eating what you are cooking, IMHO.

Back