MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:08 AM   #1
Thespanishgrill
On the road to being a farker

Default Saturday night Paella on the Grill /PrOn

Got tired of being beaten up on the brisket front for the past month or so , decided to go back to what I know, PAELLA on the grill ! and it was one of my best. The new 26 inch weber worked great, now I can get a bigger Paella pan =).

Happy Sunday everyone
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Paella ingredients small.jpg (56.1 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg Paella on the grill smalll.jpg (56.8 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg Paella shrimp small.jpg (43.0 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg Paella the payoff small.jpg (50.4 KB, 196 views)
Thespanishgrill is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 11-03-2013, 10:16 AM   #2
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

That looks really good Would you mind sharing what you did
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2013, 10:40 AM   #3
Thespanishgrill

Hi George,

Since I don't work by recipe let me try this.

EVOO saute sausage to flavor oil then I add onions, usually around a half onion. Saute til soft, add tomato mixture - premade or your favorite saute, add salt and saffron and smokey paprika if you have it. Let thicken a little then add stock based on the amount of rice and size of pan, I only had veg but would usually go for seafood with seafood but it doesn't make much difference.

I just keep adding until I get the flavor, texture and smell that I want. Keep tasting the broth since that's what the rice will taste like =)
When you get a rolling type boil Add Arborio or Bomba rice see instructions on box vs liquid based on the size paella pan you are using.
I usually add the water to the pan in the kitchen even before i start cooking to the rivet area in my pan and leaving enough room from the top so it doesnt overflow so I know how much stock i will need when I start cooking. I do this so i know what im in for liquid to water to pan size. Ii have overflowed a few and it's a huge mess .

Timing the ingredients is key, shellfish take longer than shrimp and squid need to be sauted early in my opinion, salmon chunks are nice too. Just have to gauge the time for the rice and work around that.
Once the crusty bubbles are going and most of the water is has been absorbed I'll pull it and let it set up for about 3-5 minutes.
You can arrange the food as art on the top and expect it to look like that if you don't stir things. I tried to do the Spanish flag from red and yellow peppers on top but the light was a bit low.

On a side note watch this video, this is an old timer paella cook, watch the steps and just copy with what you have. It's really just the method of steps. I miss this show. I hope this helped.

Check the 14 minute mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE9DjaAaWrs

All the best, let me know how it worked out.

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #4
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Thanks for the write up after such awesome pr0n!!!

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2013, 10:54 AM   #5
jbuntingsr
Full Fledged Farker

Looks great
jbuntingsr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #6
Thespanishgrill

Or watch the whole show or the whole series. If you like Spain it's a good watch =)

Old 11-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #7
dwfisk

Name/Nickname : Dave

Yea man, that looks great. Bet you are glad you went with the 26.75! How much charcoal did you use, a single layer? Lump or brickettes?

Old 11-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #8
Thespanishgrill

Funny you should ask, I am hella glad I went with the 26, I've only cooked on it 2-3 times so far. It takes a minute to get used to the added space and additional fuel.
I used a whole starter of charcoal which on my old 22 was fine, but after I spread them out on this one, I didn't have enough heat after letting them go to white to keep the water boiling so I pulled the paella added another layer of unlit ontop and in 5 minutes I was cooking again with enough heat.
I think next time I might just have a layer of unlit then add the lit to it I'm still working on it.
I used KBB, which I'm only using to get rid of as i don't really care for it all the much. Too much smoke and not the kind I'm looking for. I just scored a few big bags of Royal Oak at HD this weekend for like 12 bucks a bag. I'll give that a try next round. It worked out fine but it needs a little work.

Cheers

Old 11-03-2013, 03:28 PM   #9
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

What a great cook.
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #10
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Looks delicious!!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2013, 03:59 PM   #11
Bonewagon
Babbling Farker

That looks fantastic.

Big Steel Keg, WSM, OTG, PBC, Kamado Joe Jr., Carson Rodizio, and a Super Fast [I]and[/I] Accurate [COLOR="Blue"]Blue[/COLOR] Splash-Proof Thermapen
Bonewagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2013, 04:08 PM   #12
dwfisk

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespanishgrill View Post
Funny you should ask, I am hella glad I went with the 26, I've only cooked on it 2-3 times so far. It takes a minute to get used to the added space and additional fuel.
I used a whole starter of charcoal which on my old 22 was fine, but after I spread them out on this one, I didn't have enough heat after letting them go to white to keep the water boiling so I pulled the paella added another layer of unlit ontop and in 5 minutes I was cooking again with enough heat.
I think next time I might just have a layer of unlit then add the lit to it I'm still working on it.
I used KBB, which I'm only using to get rid of as i don't really care for it all the much. Too much smoke and not the kind I'm looking for. I just scored a few big bags of Royal Oak at HD this weekend for like 12 bucks a bag. I'll give that a try next round. It worked out fine but it needs a little work.

Cheers
Yea, I love my 26.75 OGT. Most of the time I'm only cooking on 1/4-1/2 of the grill. FYI, I've had real good luck with Stubbs brickettes (better burn & less ash) or Cowboy lump, but lately my home-made lump is taking center stage.

PS: I have a 15" paella pan but I'm thinking a 22" or 24" is on my Christmas list.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:15 PM   #13
dport7
is Blowin Smoke!

Great lookin dish of food. Glad you gave some insight on how you fixed that dish.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #14
BASSER
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : ROB

Yes please

WSM 18.5", Weber Kettle, Thermapen, Maverick ET-732
BASSER is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2013, 05:40 PM   #15
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

That looks fantastic! How was the soccarat? That's my favorite part

Naked Fatties Rock!