Who knows the secret recipe?

2dumb2kwit

Full Fledged Farker
I've looked at the baked bean threads and I have made Wampus' peach bourbon beans before, (Which are GREAT, by the way.) but I had some baked beans a couple weeks ago, that blew me away. I don't think we are supposed to name commercial places on here, soooo...... they were done by a guy named Rodney, in Charlston, S.C. Does anyone have a recipe that is anywhere close to his?

I wouldn't mind just buying them from him, but he's a 7 hour drive, from my house. LOL

You could always ask the establishment?

You could just tell them you really loved the beans. Further explain that you live out of the area so you wanted to try to recreate them at home. If they don’t give you the exact recipe, ask them for a few tips on making something similar at home. They will probably offer you a clue to create something similar at home, but don’t be surprised if you don’t receive a response.

It might even be something really simple. Back when I worked at a mom/pop bbq joint in college, everyone loved our beans. They were pintos, with some diced canned green chiles added, some chopped up rib meat, and for flavor?? About 2-3 ladle fulls of the house bbq sauce. That’s it. They were super simple and one of the best selling sides.

So I’ll offer you a glimmer of hope. One time I emailed a restaurant inquiring about their “onion jam” recipe. I said it was excellent (best I’ve ever had) but live 1200 miles away, so I’d like any tips they could offer to make it. Later that day...the restaurant had emailed me the exact recipe (in metric weights) and told me they were glad I liked it so much. They also encouraged stop back by the next time I was in town.

I have a similar story, I raved about this restaurants (that's actually pretty close to me) hot crab dip. I asked for the recipe via email. The next day the manager replied with the ingredient list but said she didn't put the measurements because they make it 50 gallons at a time.
I've gotten very close, but not quite exact.

Tons of recipes online for Carolina beans. I’ve never seen Mr Scott’s beans. Was there meat? Just the way I think but bet a lot of it is made up as they go. By that I mean a basic standard recipe however leftover meats from the day are chopped/added used in the beans. If that’s the case the beans may vary from batch to batch. If no meat- the type(s) bean with ketchup sugar and vinegar seem to be mentioned a lot.

Restaurants are often happy to give out the recipes. They realize most people won't make the food and enjoy going out. One of my favorite restaurants has the recipe for every item on their menu posted on their website. There's at least a two-hour wait to get in.

You could always ask the establishment?

You could just tell them you really loved the beans. Further explain that you live out of the area so you wanted to try to recreate them at home. If they don’t give you the exact recipe, ask them for a few tips on making something similar at home. They will probably offer you a clue to create something similar at home, but don’t be surprised if you don’t receive a response.

It might even be something really simple. Back when I worked at a mom/pop bbq joint in college, everyone loved our beans. They were pintos, with some diced canned green chiles added, some chopped up rib meat, and for flavor?? About 2-3 ladle fulls of the house bbq sauce. That’s it. They were super simple and one of the best selling sides.

So I’ll offer you a glimmer of hope. One time I emailed a restaurant inquiring about their “onion jam” recipe. I said it was excellent (best I’ve ever had) but live 1200 miles away, so I’d like any tips they could offer to make it. Later that day...the restaurant had emailed me the exact recipe (in metric weights) and told me they were glad I liked it so much. They also encouraged stop back by the next time I was in town.

This makes me think of 2 things. First, I didn't even think about just asking. I guess I'm just used to pitmasters having so many secrets. Sauce, rub, etc. LOL

Second, your statement about the green chilis caught my attention. When I was eating his beans, I was trying to decide if that was a hint of green chili I was tasting, in the background.

Tons of recipes online for Carolina beans. I’ve never seen Mr Scott’s beans. Was there meat? Just the way I think but bet a lot of it is made up as they go. By that I mean a basic standard recipe however leftover meats from the day are chopped/added used in the beans. If that’s the case the beans may vary from batch to batch. If no meat- the type(s) bean with ketchup sugar and vinegar seem to be mentioned a lot.

If there was meat, there was very little. I was thinking maybe some pieces of bacon.

I'm sure y'all know, but it was Rodney Scotts BBQ, in Charleston, S.C.

For the record, the food was EXCELLENT. Also, I spoke briefly to Rodney, who seemed to be a heck of a nice guy.

Nope... I've never heard of the place, so this helps!

Sometimes you have to trust your palate and try to reverse engineer by what you see and what you taste/smell.

I ate at a BBQ joint in Salinas, CA and their half chicken was absolutely amazing. Some of the best I’ve ever had. They never responded when I asked for the recipe.

But I knew it was only dry seasoned and it looked the same coming off the pit out back as it did on the plate. I didn’t take a picture of it, but found one online (and it was how I remembered it).

The seasoning was very close to Oakridge Santa Maria (very close)...but not quite right. It had a little sweetness to it so I mixed up some Santa Maria with a little white sugar added. Bam! Nailed it. Even my wife commented it tasted just like that chicken we had that day.

Back