MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:23 AM   #1
Pooky
Knows what a fatty is.

Default First Time Injector

Hey all,

So, my injector arrived in the post this morning - I'm planning on cooking my first ever injected Pork Butt this weekend and was looking for some advice:

I've been looking around at recipes, so I think I've got that sorted - Going to go with the published Chris Lilly injection to start with.
My main question is, whereabouts do you inject? All over, Through the cap, into the 'sides' looking straight at the muscle groups?

Is there a formula - Volume of injection to weight of meat, or do you just inject until it can't take any more?

I read somewhere, ages ago, that there is a risk of pushing harmful bacteria from the surface of the meat, into it when you inject - Is this a real issue or is it just a case of using the usual common sense?

Thanks in advance for the advice and sorry if this has been covered elsewhere.
Pooky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2013, 09:41 AM   #2
RobKC
is one Smokin' Farker

First, make sure your pork butt has not been "enhanced" already.

Use half the salt in the Chris Lilley injection recipe. I try to inject all over, as much as the butt will hold. Wrap the butt in plastic wrap before injecting and inject through the wrap. That will help keep you and your kitchen protected from leaks.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:58 AM   #3
kujay
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobKC View Post
First, make sure your pork butt has not been "enhanced" already.

Use half the salt in the Chris Lilley injection recipe. I try to inject all over, as much as the butt will hold. Wrap the butt in plastic wrap before injecting and inject through the wrap. That will help keep you and your kitchen protected from leaks.
That's a great tip, I've struggled with that. An episode of Pitmasters this year showed the contestant plugging the holes with her fingers, until she ran out of fingers anyway. But this is much better. Thanks!

OP, I've only used Lilly's recipe and have enjoyed the results.
kujay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #4
Lowki
Full Fledged Farker

Wrapping first is great for mess prevention, but be careful. I find that this will affect the bark. You may need to rub lightly, inject and then throw some more rub on it when you take it out. May not be issue, just something to think about.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #5
Pooky
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks folks - Great tips! I just wish I didn't have to wait until the weekend!
Pooky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2013, 12:30 PM   #6
HookedonSmoke
Knows what a fatty is.

I recommend changing the water in Lilly's recipe to white grape juice (using same volume as apple juice) and change the worcestershire sauce to fish sauce and double the amount. It really increases the savory aspect of the injection.
HookedonSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #7
Okie Sawbones
Banned

I agree with RobKC. I have a tried and true pork injection. Converting the proportions used in the Lilly recipe to mine, the salt is 40% more than I use, plus the salt in the Worcestershire sauce would push it to near 50% more salt. FWIW.
Cooking BBQ since 1971, seriously cooking BBQ since 1996, when I read Smoke and Spice.
Okie Sawbones is offline   Reply With Quote