MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:53 PM   #1
warfrat
On the road to being a farker

Default 300lbs. of Butts

That's how much I have to cook for my County's employee Thanksgiving dinner this year. Yep, ran my mouth too much about how good the new Stumps was. I figure the 223 will handle about 100lbs. at a time but I'm clueless about how to tackle this project. The luncheon is on a Wed. which by my calculations I will have to start cooking on Sun. to have a 100lbs. ready Mon., put another 100lbs on Mon to have ready on Tues,. and so on and so forth to have 300 ready by Wed. and just reheat the first two cookings on Wed. Anybody have any suggestions here? I've never done much catering so I don't known all the "tricks" for feeding large groups.
Thanks-Warf
Lang 36
warfrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2008, 11:34 PM   #2
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

You can vacu-suck the pre-done stuff or zip-loc in that short of time. You may want to use the oven versus boling in the cryo bags for this mass amount. Make sure you add some rub and apple juice to the pork you re-heat.

You can cheat by smoking your pork half way, then into the oven to reduce time with the batches also, shhhhh!

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:56 AM   #3
Bbq Bubba

Wow, by my math, your feeding about 450 people??
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:19 AM   #4
big brother smoke

or 600 4oz. sammies

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:07 AM   #5
Bbq Bubba

Hello, anybody there???
#detroitporkmafia
Old 10-30-2008, 08:49 AM   #6
U2CANQUE
is One Chatty Farker

shoot, feeding over 600........
300 pounds, 55% retention = 165 pounds post cook weight.....1/4 pound per person....average....660 people......roughly.......
Cleveland, Ohio

Jambo (J-3) Black on Black-with Hot Rod Flames
FEC w/ IQ4
U2CANQUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:20 AM   #7
garyk1398
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Gary

WOW I gotta see that pron when it comes available!

Gary, KCBS -CBJ
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=red]Certified Nebraska MOINK Baller, [/COLOR][COLOR=darkred]KCBS - CBJ[/COLOR][/FONT]
Semper Fi, when in doubt empty the magazine :rip:
garyk1398 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:11 AM   #8
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Roughly 20 UDS should do it. Maybe you can borrow 1 or 30 of Bubba's!

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 02:00 PM   #9
HoosierTrooper
Full Fledged Farker

This might be a good time to back up and punt. If you're really "clueless about how to tackle this project" I think you owe them the truth and get a little more experience before trying something that large.
HoosierTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 02:14 PM   #10
ipls3355
is one Smokin' Farker

40 butts at 7-8 lb. With 2 grates, you can fit 6 butts in a UDS. You can do it with 7 UDS's.

I think I'll build me a few more and go into business

Crankin out Q on my ECB since 2005
UDS born September, 2007
22" Weber Kettle
18" Weber Kettle
ipls3355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 02:27 PM   #11
Bbq Bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipls3355 View Post
40 butts at 7-8 lb. With 2 grates, you can fit 6 butts in a UDS. You can do it with 7 UDS's.

I think I'll build me a few more and go into business
Easy bro, he already placed his order.
#detroitporkmafia
Old 10-31-2008, 10:41 AM   #12
tony76248
is One Chatty Farker

Let me fill you in on some Stumps cooking thoughts. I have a 223 and I would suggest using plenty-o-foil or pans, When you load that thing up with a bunch of butts you run a serious risk of flare up. Regardless of how may butts you place in the smoker at a time, put some pans underneath the butts to capture the massive amount of grease that will generate. That said, those pans will block a lot of the heat and you will drive yourself crazy with hitting your target temp. Then if you try to stoke up the fire, you run an even greater risk of flare-up.

My suggestion to you would be to start a bunch of the butts in the smoker and remove half of them once you wrap and place them in your kitchen oven, which should also accommodate four per rack. Place them in foil pans as well.

Get proper separation between the butts and they will cook evenly and efficiently, if you don't get spacing you will cook for twice the time you would cook for just one. Also do not waste your time opening the smoker. Just stick a probe into the butt nearest the hottest part of the cooker. Also, there is no need to mist the butts with apple juice or anything like that, that Stumps cooks very moist.

Just so you know, I cooked three butts last week and they create quite the mess. Therefore place as much foil as possible in the bottom of the smoker which can also be changed out as you cook. Do this stuff and thank me later.

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Brinkmann Model 6668 Gasser
Hibachi Grill
Stumps GF223 w/ Stoker assist
ECB that wins the $
Weber One-Touch Gold 22-1/2"
#3 Komono
Large BGE w/ Stoker assist
55 gallon Drum Smoker
Wood Crate Cold smoker w/ smoke injector
No need for certification, I already know good BBQ!
tony76248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:56 AM   #13
Chris Nickelson
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony76248 View Post
Let me fill you in on some Stumps cooking thoughts. I have a 223 and I would suggest using plenty-o-foil or pans, When you load that thing up with a bunch of butts you run a serious risk of flare up. Regardless of how may butts you place in the smoker at a time, put some pans underneath the butts to capture the massive amount of grease that will generate. That said, those pans will block a lot of the heat and you will drive yourself crazy with hitting your target temp. Then if you try to stoke up the fire, you run an even greater risk of flare-up.

My suggestion to you would be to start a bunch of the butts in the smoker and remove half of them once you wrap and place them in your kitchen oven, which should also accommodate four per rack. Place them in foil pans as well.

Get proper separation between the butts and they will cook evenly and efficiently, if you don't get spacing you will cook for twice the time you would cook for just one. Also do not waste your time opening the smoker. Just stick a probe into the butt nearest the hottest part of the cooker. Also, there is no need to mist the butts with apple juice or anything like that, that Stumps cooks very moist.

Just so you know, I cooked three butts last week and they create quite the mess. Therefore place as much foil as possible in the bottom of the smoker which can also be changed out as you cook. Do this stuff and thank me later.
I'm with Tony, smoke a bunch for 4-6 hrs then finish in oven. You can then have more butts going at one time in different stages.
You got anyone close that you can borrow a cooker?? Because heating that much back up isn't gonna be easy either, and having extra cook space would help.

two brinkman R2D2's
Trailer Mounted H & S 2000 Pit

CBJ# 14974 :cool:
Chris Nickelson is offline   Reply With Quote