Ban KCBS garnish?

Should the KCBS ban garnish

• Ban it

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Keep it

Votes: 69 48.6%

• Total voters
Sled... Thanks for making me put my name on a petition from 2005 !!

Are you planning to revive this issue and present it at the KCBS annual rules meeting next month ? Is it part of your BOD nominee platform ?

Can the organizer of a sanctioned KCBS event stipulate a no garnish rule?

Can the organizer of a sanctioned KCBS event stipulate a no garnish rule?

I don't think so...

I wonder how many people who are signed up there feel so strongly about it that they personally don't put garnish in the box...

I don't think so...

I wonder how many people who are signed up there feel so strongly about it that they personally don't put garnish in the box...

Why would we do that ? As long as it's 'optional' I think your putting yourself at a disadvantage if you don't use it. I don't throw my vote away on third party candidates either.

Why would we do that ? As long as it's 'optional' I think your putting yourself at a disadvantage if you don't use it. I don't throw my vote away on third party candidates either.

What's the reason you would be against garnish?

If it's a KCBS sanctioned contest, the organizer can not change the rules on the 4 main categories. Auxiliary categories are at the descretion of the organizer. I personally like the garnish if nothing more but to keep the meat in place. I just hope that the judges look at the appearence of the meat more than the greens. The garnish can distract from the meat though.

i say keep the lettuce! in our first competition, my Mother got the title "Chief ln Charge of Lettuce"(we're gonna make her a t-shirt this season). it was nice having her being such an important part of our team as she was instrumental in introducing me to Barbeque in the first place when i was a kid (long story that i will post up soon). she also got alot of satisfaction making sure all the boxes looked perfect as they went out and had a great time doing it so it was nice to have something for her to do, so again i say... KEEP THE LETTUCE!

phil

Because I'm sick of driving to 3 different supermarkets to find some decent lettuce and Parsley and some of the comments I've heard from judges about garnish are scary.

Yeah, I can understand that. I certainly have made myself crazy at some contests when I open up the cooler and it looks like dead leaves... and I end up having to send someone out to get stuff 2 hours before turn in.

I like the garnish...or better put, the garnish doesnt bother me. After doing contests without garnish I really think that it is easier to put together a good looking box with garnish than without.

Personally, I'm against it because I've heard too many judges say, "I gave them a 6 in appearance because the lettuce was not full enough/covered the meat/had sauce on it/pick any other reason. If the contest is about the meat, why are they judging the garnish?

I was initially against keeping the garnish, if the contest is about the meat, then just present the meat. But now that I've done a few and learned a bit about doing garnish I think it enhances the presentation to the point that I'd rather have it there. I think there has to be some serious education of the judges to be sure they are not judging the garnish and that it shouldn't have a significant impact on the presentation....even though it does. I'm still learning how to do it well, but find it very satisfying and can't see not doing it. It is an option, if there is downscoring because of it, I see it as a judges issue not a competitors issue. Scott

Someone made a comment in a coversation yesterday about the garnish and it really makes a lot of sense. It's ashame that something that is not even to be judged can be what disqualifies you.

I personally think KCBS should have some "KCBS" offical turn-in boxes that has the inside printed with a picture of the garnish already on it. Hmmm.. everybody has the same garnish. I mean....it is a meat contest, not a meat/garnish contest, or so I was told in my judging class by Ed Roith.

I was initially against keeping the garnish, if the contest is about the meat, then just present the meat. But now that I've done a few and learned a bit about doing garnish I think it enhances the presentation to the point that I'd rather have it there. I think there has to be some serious education of the judges to be sure they are not judging the garnish and that it shouldn't have a significant impact on the presentation....even though it does. I'm still learning how to do it well, but find it very satisfying and can't see not doing it. It is an option, if there is downscoring because of it, I see it as a judges issue not a competitors issue. Scott
It is OUR issue. Unfortunately judges DO judge garnish. My cooking has not changer over the past 3 years but my garnish skills and attention to the detail of them has greatly approved and so have my scores.

I personally think KCBS should have some "KCBS" offical turn-in boxes that has the inside printed with a picture of the garnish already on it. Hmmm.. everybody has the same garnish. I mean....it is a meat contest, not a meat/garnish contest, or so I was told in my judging class by Ed Roith.
That is a FANTASTIC idea, I love it!!!!

I really suck at garnishing, so be off with it and go NAKED (not that I will because a judge will kill all your scores if you do!!)

Garnish, it's a love-hate thing.

Yes, the turn in's look better. But if everyone's doing it, the good garnish presentations generally help the appearance of the people that take the time to make it look nice and have a great looking product. Even great ganish can not hide less then a great meat product. Of course, this is assuming the judge knows the difference.

I hate making beds of parsley, but I do love the way the turn ins look on it.

Back