MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:32 PM   #1
worthsmokin
Full Fledged Farker

Smile Just Ordered Vending Trailer

Hey everyone here on the Brethren,

I have been a member here for awhile but do not post much. I am very active on www.thepickledpig.com but they do not do very much on vending. I am a fulltime firefighter and and have been doing roadside vending a couple times a month for about a year. I built a smoker winter of 09' and that is the first time I ever smoked. Since then I have became obsessed with bbq. I started competing this year and have had good success getting some calls in KCBS and won my first GC this weekend in non-kcbs comp. I do understand how much work it is but am very dedicated. I am just looking to make my job vending much easier and having everything self contained.

I have just ordered a Extreme BBQ Concession trailer with completion date for middle of September. It is a 28' enclosed with a 6' back porch (22' interior) bumper pull. Going on trailer will be a stumps clone from their platinum line and am estimating it to cook around 500lbs of butt and will have a stoker to help power it.

On the interior it has a 3 bay sink with double washboard. The items not included in my purchase and need to get ordering are 17 cf fridge, 17 cf freezer, 4' prep table, heated cabinet, 4 bay steam table, storage cage, and a interior service window counter. I am not doing a stove or fryers because I did not want to worry about the vent or suppression system.

Is there anything that is not listed that is a must have? Or are some items that I have listed not big enough or can do without? I have most of the smaller items as I have been competing and vending. Just want to get some feedback on your favorite items you cant live without. You will hear plenty more from me so please dont get annoyed.

Thanks,

Tyler
worthsmokin is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 07-26-2010, 05:40 AM   #2
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Did you get them to install a propane water heater? If not add it. The 10 gallon is fantastic and will satisfy all HD's. Also have them run the gas line to where the steam table will be. Do you have an RV style doors? How about extra windows in the side? And DC powered roof vents.

spare tire, equalizer hitch and anti sway bar - installed on your trailer and truck before towing it. If you go to Nananne to pick it up they can do it or if it's delivered then get one installed right away. Mines 26 feet and it tends to excite the semi's without the sway bar.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:27 AM   #3
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

1 fridge and 1 freezer? That is a serious trailer you ordered there to only be able to stock up two fridges. Also look into a power ran smoker, propane, pellets, electric.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2010, 12:44 PM   #4
worthsmokin
Full Fledged Farker

Ford I am going all electric. I have a 6 gallon water heater, there is a extra window on the opposite side of the vending window for cross ventilation, 13000btu air, 21' awning. I guess there is no spare tire, that will get taken care of. I talked with James and I am going to furnish the equalizer hitch.

Jacked Up BBQ I have plenty of room to upgrade if need be was my thought. I would love to have a FEC, OH or SP smoker but I cant afford one at this time. Eventually that is the route that will be taken.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:08 PM   #5
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

I have a nice fec 750 for sale

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine

Old 07-26-2010, 01:36 PM   #6
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthsmokin View Post
Ford I am going all electric. I have a 6 gallon water heater, there is a extra window on the opposite side of the vending window for cross ventilation, 13000btu air, 21' awning. I guess there is no spare tire, that will get taken care of. I talked with James and I am going to furnish the equalizer hitch.
To run all that on electric you will need 50 amp power. It's not available at most places so plan on a big generator. Might want to build one in. At 30 amp with the steam table, water heater and fridge/freezer you are using most of the 30 amp already. The water heater alone will draw 1200-1400 watts.

6 gallon water heater especially electric with a slow recovery rate will be marginal at least here in MI if you are using regular full size SS sinks. Under bar sinks would work.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:44 PM   #7
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Start thinking some propane to work down the electric load. I had an electric steam table and just purchased a propane to lighten the electrical load, especially if you want to run the ac.

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine

Old 07-26-2010, 02:32 PM   #8
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

Most health departments require a separate handwash sink in addition to the triple dish washing sink.
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2010, 04:18 PM   #9
worthsmokin
Full Fledged Farker

There is a seperate handwash sink. I didn't go into listing everthing that is included I should have at the begining knowing It would get picked apart.

I talked to James and am switching to gas steam table and gas water heater.

How much for the FEC 750? PM me if you would like.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:26 PM   #10
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthsmokin View Post
There is a seperate handwash sink. I didn't go into listing everthing that is included I should have at the begining knowing It would get picked apart.

I talked to James and am switching to gas steam table and gas water heater.

How much for the FEC 750? PM me if you would like.
Good decision. And the 750 is a great cooker but you will need to counter wieght the front and it takes more than a 6' porch for a 750 so stop the order if you are considering it as you will need to redesign.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:37 PM   #11
worthsmokin
Full Fledged Farker

How much back porch do you need? I would like to eventually get a good cooker but right now I am kind of strapped, unless you would loan it to me

The one I am going to build will work nice with the stoker system. I have now problem using it until I can afford something different.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:22 PM   #12
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

I think a 750 is about 8 by 8 give or take a bit so at least 11 feet to open a door to walk into the main compartment.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:11 PM   #13
worthsmokin
Full Fledged Farker

Ouch! Yeah I cant do that. It would be nice though.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:56 PM   #14
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

You could get away with a 7.5x8 porch. Keep the doors opening to the side and you work on the ground. You can also put it on a track system to slide it out. Its a great machine.

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine

Old 07-26-2010, 08:16 PM   #15
worthsmokin
Full Fledged Farker

I put a pocket door that opens to the porch so I have no issue with door swing. I thought in the future when I go that route with a sp, fec, or oh I will do it with the extractor and have the doors open to the interior. If I had to add some additional deck in the rear to accomodate a larger smoker I would do it when the time comes.