MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:41 PM   #1
Merl
Full Fledged Farker

Default Kcbs bod agenda 2-05-10

The agenda for the KCBS BOD meeting of 2-5-10 (Friday) at 7:00 p.m. has been posted.
This includes many important issues.
Merl Whitebook
Secretary - KCBS
Merl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2010, 07:03 PM   #2
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Change to Rule 6
Fires shall be of wood, wood pellets, charcoal or propane gas.

That should be an interesting discussion.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:27 PM   #3
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Several of the suggestions dont seem to reflect the feedback I was hearing... interesting. I know I was still on my way to the hotel while the meeting was going on, so I didn't hear all the input.... but many of these requested changes dont seem to mesh with accounts I heard after the meeting. How are the recommendations arrived at?
Old 02-03-2010, 08:20 PM   #4
SirPorkaLot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : John

Propane gas? Seriously?
IMHO that would be moving KCBS in the wrong direction - away from their roots and the tradition of BBQ.

I do have to say I agree with the chicken rule change recommendation, not sure why they would want to delay implementation for a year though.
The trend to (unnaturally) perfect little thighs has bothered me, i would welcome the requirement to submit both white & dark meat.

the rest of it seems innocuous.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:33 PM   #5
Buster Dog BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I like the restrictions on size for ancillary categories. Saw many times where it took two people to carry a desert that looked like it was on a Food Network challenge.

Not a fan of the chicken rule. There is no rule that limits the type of chicken you can turn in currently. To me this reminds me of all the garnish talk.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:37 PM   #6
Butcher BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

What I liked was the change of wording for identifiable .

"Trust Your Butcher"
Often Imitated, but never Duplicated
Butcher BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 02-03-2010, 10:29 PM   #7
Diva
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodedo View Post
several of the suggestions dont seem to reflect the feedback i was hearing... Interesting. I know i was still on my way to the hotel while the meeting was going on, so i didn't hear all the input.... But many of these requested changes dont seem to mesh with accounts i heard after the meeting. How are the recommendations arrived at?
exactly!
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:32 PM   #8
Diva
is one Smokin' Farker

What's the deal with finding out how many bounce-back emails? According to a post on the other forum it was exclaimed that there was a plan in place if that were to occur......obviously, THAT didn't happen.
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:53 PM   #9
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcher BBQ View Post
What I liked was the change of wording for identifiable .
I've felt that this rule needed to be changed or clarified, this is good. But why no change on Rule # 10 about parting? You can part chix, ribbs & brisky - why not pork?

Just my $0.02

p.s. - propane? That should be interesting to hear.
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:29 PM   #10
Plowboy

I like the suggestion for rule 15. What I read is don't worry about 6 pieces at the time of appearance. Let it all shake out at the end if the 6th judge doesn't get a piece. Essentially, it is saying don't worry about the number of pieces you can see, worry about the number you get. Makes sense to me.

Oh and Paul Kirk - No Report. Welcome back, buddy!!!

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:41 PM   #11
Plowboy

I guess my request to announce committee members, needs, and openings through KCBS.us didn't make the agenda.

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Old 02-03-2010, 11:49 PM   #12
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoDeDo View Post
Several of the suggestions dont seem to reflect the feedback I was hearing... interesting. I know I was still on my way to the hotel while the meeting was going on, so I didn't hear all the input.... but many of these requested changes dont seem to mesh with accounts I heard after the meeting. How are the recommendations arrived at?
And why should they reflect the joke of a meeting that is held at the banquet each year? Do you think even .1% of the membership was represented? Hold it in a hotel with no dial in or Web conferencing capabilities for those who aren't traveling to the banquet location. Hold it on Friday afternoon when some people who are going to attend the banquet are still traveling. What kind of a representation should be expected with a recipe like that?

#1 recommendation on the meeting agenda should be how to get quality rules feedback from the membership. I'm betting that there aren't hundreds of cook teams begging to cook white meat chicken. While I'm on the topic of chicken, most teams will tell you that it is probably the hardest to figure out and yet the easiest KCBS meat to cook. I think the entry offers its own set of challenges unique to the other three regardless if you are turning in thighs, breasts, wings or lollypops legs (which has always surprised me that it isn't sculpting). I'm going to start a "save the breasts" campaign.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:13 AM   #13
Jeff_in_KC

Yeah, that rules meeting is a joke. Always has been and probably always will be. There's got to be a better way to do this. Web sites? Hell, I don't know, but getting feedback from a group of people who in no way represent a true cross-section of the membership is ridiculous!

So... they want to allow propane but not electricity? If we're gonna bastardize KCBS, why not go all the way?

Rule 10 again... chit! The sugestion in Philly was to add the words "prior to cooking" after parted. That's why non-cooks shouldn't be making the rules.

"I would like to propose we find out how many bounced emails we had, follow-up with a letter to those members in order to get current emails and update our database. "

Really? Now??? Why not send out a test email message and check for bounces back in like September or October so you have three months to fix things? Awesome forsight!

And yeah, let's all go out and grab six farkin' whole chickens to cook to get six pieces!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
Oh and Paul Kirk - No Report. Welcome back, buddy!!!
You think 1,006 KCBS members are getting their money's worth, Todd?
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:27 AM   #14
tmcmaster
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Parker View Post
Change to Rule 6
Fires shall be of wood, wood pellets, charcoal or propane gas.

That should be an interesting discussion.

What.

The.

FARK?!?!
Old 02-04-2010, 12:30 AM   #15
tmcmaster
is One Chatty Farker

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
And why should they reflect the joke of a meeting that is held at the banquet each year? Do you think even .1% of the membership was represented? Hold it in a hotel with no dial in or Web conferencing capabilities for those who aren't traveling to the banquet location. Hold it on Friday afternoon when some people who are going to attend the banquet are still traveling. What kind of a representation should be expected with a recipe like that?

#1 recommendation on the meeting agenda should be how to get quality rules feedback from the membership. I'm betting that there aren't hundreds of cook teams begging to cook white meat chicken. While I'm on the topic of chicken, most teams will tell you that it is probably the hardest to figure out and yet the easiest KCBS meat to cook. I think the entry offers its own set of challenges unique to the other three regardless if you are turning in thighs, breasts, wings or lollypops legs (which has always surprised me that it isn't sculpting). I'm going to start a "save the breasts" campaign.
I'm in!!