MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:56 PM   #1
ayb97
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Bbq Guru Help on WSM 22.5

I finally. took the plunge and bought a guru for my 22.5. This weekend I took it for test run with a pork butt and don't know if I was doing something wrong or what, but I expected better. Maybe I'm not doing something right. I figured I would post here and try and get some help. I started out with a full ring of Kingsford charcoal and dumped three quarters of a chimney of lit charcoal in the middle. There was no water in the water pan.all events were completely closed except the top one which was a hundred percent open. The vent on the Guru fan was a 100% open. the temperature slowly climbed and after a half hour was it about 150 degrees. I had to kick the vent and door open to get the temperature to rise faster. Am I expecting too much from it how long does it normally take to bring up to 250 degrees. After I finally hit my 250 degrees it seems like I was playing vent games all day. The temperature on the pit would go down to 240 and I would have to open one of the bottom vent to get it to stabilize again. Then it would reach 250 again and after a little while the temperature would be up to 260 270 and I would have to close the vent again. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
ayb97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2014, 08:19 PM   #2
lantern
is Blowin Smoke!

Which one did ya get? Which fan?
lantern is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2014, 08:20 PM   #3
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayb97 View Post
I finally. took the plunge and bought a guru for my 22.5. This weekend I took it for test run with a pork butt and don't know if I was doing something wrong or what, but I expected better. Maybe I'm not doing something right. I figured I would post here and try and get some help. I started out with a full ring of Kingsford charcoal and dumped three quarters of a chimney of lit charcoal in the middle. There was no water in the water pan.all events were completely closed except the top one which was a hundred percent open. The vent on the Guru fan was a 100% open. the temperature slowly climbed and after a half hour was it about 150 degrees. I had to kick the vent and door open to get the temperature to rise faster. Am I expecting too much from it how long does it normally take to bring up to 250 degrees. After I finally hit my 250 degrees it seems like I was playing vent games all day. The temperature on the pit would go down to 240 and I would have to open one of the bottom vent to get it to stabilize again. Then it would reach 250 again and after a little while the temperature would be up to 260 270 and I would have to close the vent again. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
Did you make sure the slide on the Guru was open? From the factory it comes closed...

The slide is located right where the guru goes into the wsm adapter. without the slide being open there is no airflow... Common mistake with many first time users.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2014, 08:22 PM   #4
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

Sounds like the vent on the guru was closed and not open?
That much coal lit should have taken no time.
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2014, 08:23 PM   #5
kds9547
is one Smokin' Farker

I have the 10cfm fan and my 22 holds rock solid temps. I pretty much do the same thing you do except I leave one bottom vent wide open until I am within about 20 degrees of my target temp. I then close the bottom vent and it is where I need it within a few minutes. Never takes more than 25-30 minutes to get to 235 or so. It takes longer for me to get TBS than it does to get to temp.
kds9547 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2014, 08:26 PM   #6
kds9547
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
Did you make sure the slide on the Guru was open? From the factory it comes closed...

The slide is located right where the guru goes into the wsm adapter. without the slide being open there is no airflow... Common mistake with many first time users.

He said the vent on the Guru fan was wide open so I assumed he was talking about the slide, but that was my first thought too.

Old 06-15-2014, 08:26 PM   #7
ayb97

I got the digiq dx2 with 10 com fan. I made sure the vent on fan was open. But when I was taking it off I noticed it was closed. I don't know if I closed it when taking it off or closed it by accident when I was installing it.

Old 06-15-2014, 08:37 PM   #8
kds9547
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I got the digiq dx2 with 10 com fan. I made sure the vent on fan was open. But when I was taking it off I noticed it was closed. I don't know if I closed it when taking it off or closed it by accident when I was installing it.
Well that'll definitely do it. I've done that before and it's the first thing I check now. I think you'll find that the Guru is the ticket next time you use it.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:01 PM   #9
Blanton
is One Chatty Farker

Any wind today? Mine come up in about 45 min, but I only start with 12 lit. 3/4 chimney sounds like a lot to me.

One day I could not get temps up to save my life. Turn the lid around so that the top vent was facing downwind and bingo! Another thing I read and it makes sense it to let the guru bring it up to temp without other vents open. By doing so, it is actually learning the pit for each cook to prevent over shoots. I know in your case you were just trying to get temps up, but when things do work out might be something worth considering.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:50 PM   #10
grantw
is One Chatty Farker

I also vote on a closed fan slide

Old 06-16-2014, 05:55 AM   #11
NeilH
is one Smokin' Farker

with nothing but top vent open its hard to dial in. bet your next cook will reward you.
NeilH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2014, 06:00 AM   #12
ayb97

Thanks guys. Like I said maybe I closed the guru vent when I was installing it. Ill give it another shot next weekend and make sure to double check that vent. Ill let you know how it goes. Ill take any other advice for using the guru to its potential. JeffR you really only start with 12 lit? How long does it usually take to bring up to say 250?

Old 06-16-2014, 06:45 AM   #13
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks guys. Like I said maybe I closed the guru vent when I was installing it. Ill give it another shot next weekend and make sure to double check that vent. Ill let you know how it goes. Ill take any other advice for using the guru to its potential. JeffR you really only start with 12 lit? How long does it usually take to bring up to say 250?
Very common mistake..... Your next cook will be right on target..
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2014, 06:52 AM   #14
Blanton
is One Chatty Farker

Since acquiring the guru I haven't taken notes like I used to. Without it I would be to about 230 in about 30 minutes. From there I am starting to shut down vents to get to 250-275 slower. Keep in mind I run a clay sauce and no water so YMMV.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:18 AM   #15
NeilH
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Using lump I pour about 10-15 in the indention I make in the center and with all vents wide open it's up to 250* in about twenty minutes. When I get within about 20* of my set temp I close all the vents except the top one and the vent on the fan which I normally run it halfway open. I leave it this way throughout the entire cook letting the digiQ dx ii run the show.
NeilH is offline   Reply With Quote