MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:24 PM   #1
Dale in GA
On the road to being a farker

Default BGE Rehab

This is the refurbished BGE I bought from the mother store here in ATL back in 1989. I used it for 11 years before my wife bought me a new ceramic unit. Once I got the new one, the old unit bounced around various relatives and friends. I did an intervention this week and got it back....Serious rehab is underway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BGE 1989.jpg (43.5 KB, 221 views)

Old 01-18-2010, 07:30 PM   #2
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

I've got a claypot Kamado firebox that is in pieces waiting for me!

What all are you going to do with yours?
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2010, 07:33 PM   #3
PFSmith
Got Wood.

What is the rehab plan??

Pat

Old 01-18-2010, 09:26 PM   #4
eagle697
is one Smokin' Farker

Good luck! I have done it with one and it was great. I still need to do it with a smaller one. Post pics when of the process and enjoy.

2 NB Banderas, Imperial Kamado #5, Imperial Kamado #0, Large Grill Dome, Large Primo Kamado, 22.5 Weber Silver, 18.5 Weber Silver
eagle697 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2010, 09:29 PM   #5
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

Pimp My smoker!
BRBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2010, 06:17 AM   #6
Dale in GA

Rehab plan: 1) remove all metal bands, scrape off rust, & repaint; 2) replace lower damper with stainless steel damper; 3) clean cast iron daisy wheel damper with brass brush, oil lightly and wipe down; 4) remove and replace gasket; and 5) inspect and repair any cracks with retort cement. Will likely do a couple of test burns to make sure I've sealed all the cracks and leaks.

There are some cosmetic repairs: a) I'd like to paint/re-paint the exterior at some point but I am not sure what, if any, type of paint could be used. b) replace the wooden handle, etc.

I will try and post some before and after pictures.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:01 AM   #7
Smokin Turkey
is One Chatty Farker

You may want to talk to a pottery shop in your area to see if you could get them to re-glaze and fire the ceramic or even if that is an option. It's worth a shot to get back that pretty green glaze and heck, you could even pick your own color!

Old 01-19-2010, 07:04 PM   #8
eagle697
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale in GA View Post

There are some cosmetic repairs: a) I'd like to paint/re-paint the exterior at some point but I am not sure what, if any, type of paint could be used. b) replace the wooden handle, etc.
I am sure Brian will chime in, as he is the king of Kamado rehab. I used normal spraypaint on mine. Used a plain black for the first two coats, then sprayed a dark red onto a wad of paper towels and "sponged" it onto the cooker for a textured look. I am happy with the finish and have had no problem with the paint fading or peeling. THe only issue i have had is my fault. After a cook, the smoke and condensation will drip a black liquid down the back of the lid when you open it during/after a cook. Wipe it off when still wet, much easier then than to wait untill after the liquid dries onto the textured surface. Other than that, it has been great. POst pics of the progress and finished cooker.

2 NB Banderas, Imperial Kamado #5, Imperial Kamado #0, Large Grill Dome, Large Primo Kamado, 22.5 Weber Silver, 18.5 Weber Silver

Old 01-19-2010, 07:11 PM   #9
DubSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Turkey View Post
You may want to talk to a pottery shop in your area to see if you could get them to re-glaze and fire the ceramic or even if that is an option. It's worth a shot to get back that pretty green glaze and heck, you could even pick your own color!
i dont think they would do it, maybe im wrong. but a kiln is a couple thousand degrees, and all that wood smoke, grease and what ever else has built up on the walls over the past years would smoke like a mofo if not catch on fire... well maybe if it was professionally steam cleaned or something. my $0.02
DubSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2010, 07:15 PM   #10
millsy
is One Chatty Farker

Where you live so close to headquarters I would contact them and see if they would help.I bet they would love to see 20 year old egg refurbished also.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:32 PM   #11
dwmckay99
Knows what a fatty is.

Not a hijack, but what do you guys do for general interior maintenance?

I'm tempted to take a pressure washer to mine. Exterior is fine, but over the last four years, the inside has gotten gunky with accumulated soot and grease. Every couple of months I do a full burn, which seems to help. Are there any other options?

Also, are there any good ATL area sources for refurb BGEs? TIA for any responses.
dwmckay99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2010, 08:47 PM   #12
eagle697
is one Smokin' Farker

I would NOT preasure wash mine. Every now and then, if i have had a messy cook, I will open the vents up a little, and let the temp get up to around 300 or so for a while, this ussually ashes any drippings up enough to brish out the inside with a stiff bristled brush i use to clean out the inside.

Be careful doing a burnout. If you have a clay one, letting the temp get too high can cause it to crack. I have even had this happen with the firebox on one of my ceramic cookers.

As far as getting a kiln to fire it, I think a kiln would get to hot for the clay style of the old kamados. I may be wrong, just a guess.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:50 PM   #13
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Here is one of the recent rehabs, that is having some paint issues.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...l+Kamado+rehab

I've repainted it since using Rutland Furnace cement to fill some of the exterior cracks and the base coats of BBQ black paint don't adhere and the topcoat of engine paint flakes off. I had not had any problems using Hercules Furnace cement so I'm not going to use or recommend Rutland on anymore of my restorations.

Here is a link of my Imperial Kamado inspection-
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...44&postcount=1

Lodge trivets are @$10 and make great Kamado firebox grates!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote