Discussion Thread -> "For The Love of Gravy!" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

CD just wanted a Dilly bar?

Not if he submits a new entry that meets the requirements of the special rules.

Then again, a Dilly Bar is a rare and unique distinction only a few have had the privilege of receiving...:rolleyes:

Jed, I think you made a wise decision. I should have read the special rules... I mean the farking special rules, better. I don't want to be the subject of contenion in a new TD clusterfark.

And Gore, wipe that farking smirk off your face. :mmph:

CD :becky:

Sorry CD, but there is no smirk. I actually find it depressing that your entry got DQ'ed. I think it is one of your better efforts. I especially liked it that you kettle-fried it, instead of traditional frying. Even though I am not a fan of the dish, I would have had a hard time not voting for it as it was very well done. I'm sorry you were DQ'ed.

Sorry CD, but there is no smirk. I actually find it depressing that your entry got DQ'ed. I think it is one of your better efforts. I especially liked it that you kettle-fried it, instead of traditional frying. Even though I am not a fan of the dish, I would have had a hard time not voting for it as it was very well done. I'm sorry you were DQ'ed.

I blame myself for the DQ. I could have easily adapted my gravy recipe to incorporate meat drippings, and it would have been just as good. I just didn't read the rules. Once again, I forged ahead without thinking things through.

Hey, I stuffed myself with really good food, and got a lot of compliments on my cooking.

And, I have a Dilly Bar to add to my wins and zeros. :thumb:

CD

I blame myself for the DQ. I could have easily adapted my gravy recipe to incorporate meat drippings, and it would have been just as good. I just didn't read the rules. Once again, I forged ahead without thinking things through.

Hey, I stuffed myself with really good food, and got a lot of compliments on my cooking.

And, I have a Dilly Bar to add to my wins and zeros. :thumb:

CD
The skimming over the rules was probably induced by your gag reflex when viewing the OP ;)

The Mighty Meaty smoked meatloaf and Gravy

Please accept this as my official entry into the "For The Love Of Gravy" Throwdown.

My entry began last week, Friday with the preparation of a Demi Glace. Some of you may recall. the process is outlined here. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2664976&postcount=1

Basically after many hours I ended up with a pot of gold that looked like this.

When strained through a fine China Cap this was what was left. It then went into the fridge to rest.

Yesterday I picked out 1 chuckie, 1 really well marbled short rib, and 1 ribeye end

I cubed them up and seasoned it with my Prized Santa Maria Rub from Oakridge BBQ, Thanks again folks.

Course ground everything together.

To which I added 2 eggs, 1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, parsley, oregano, and onion flakes. Mixed it all together and formed my loaf, added some veggies on top and dusted again with my new rub.

I set up my trusty Vision Kamado for indirect smoking and lite 1/2 a chimney of lump. Then I got busy with my veggies and aromatics for my gravy. 1 small vidalia onion, 1 stalk of celery, julienned carrots, a whole garlic head and Thyme, Rosemary, Bay Leaf, and Oregano. Drizzled with olive oil and course salt and pepper.

The pan was set on the lower shelf of the Kamado with a 1/2 cup of chicken stock added to prevent it from burning.

Meat loaf front and center on a piece of parchment paper trimmed to the shape of the loaf so the drippings could fall below.

Halfway in about an hour later, I was running at about 225 degrees.

When the meatloaf was done, it was foiled and rested and I broke down the cooker and stirred up the coals for the grand finale.

Wok this way!

Now the bits go in the wok

With a full measuring cup of gold

Bring it to a low boil

Strain it through the China Cap into a skillet

Back on the heat to reduce and thicken with one tablespoon cornstarch mixed into a slurry with cold water.

The meatloaf sliced and plated as well as my polling pic if you please.

I am trying to imagine how it tastes.:hungry:
To me it tastes like plastic and dust...perhaps I should clean my monitor more often. :biggrin1: Or maybe coat it in gravy.

h01E3.gif

Nice cook Jed.Love the marble in the meat and the garnish on top.You don`t hear the word "DEMI-GLACE" enough anymore.You remember back in the day when veal and beef bones were cheap as well as electricity!!!

Nice cook Jed.Love the marble in the meat and the garnish on top.You don`t hear the word "DEMI-GLACE" enough anymore.You remember back in the day when veal and beef bones were cheap as well as electricity!!!
5 lbs of veal bones cost me $22.00 dollars at Smitty's

Back