MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:02 AM   #1
grillfella
is one Smokin' Farker

Default ABT question

Hey boys read somewhere that if you soak your cored out japs in sprite for 24 hrs it will take a lot of the heat away. Is this true?. I am doing an appetizer party Sat and I know the people won't be able to take the heat. any help would be appreciated
grillfella is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2010, 12:10 AM   #2
D0ughB0y
Take a breath!

I've never heard of that. The heat comes from capsaicin that is found mostly in the seeds and the ribs inside the pepper. If you remove the seeds and ribs (with as little smashing, breaking, tearing that will release the capsaicin and spread it on the rest of the pepper) then you'll get rid of most of the heat.

Since capsaicin is not really water soluble, I don't know how much soaking peppers in sprite would do... other than adding a sweet component to the peppers. It is fat and alcohol soluble so perhaps a soak in some oil or alcohol would help (which will pick up the heat and might be good to use for other applications).

Old 02-02-2010, 12:17 AM   #3
grillfella
is one Smokin' Farker

thanks brother

Old 02-02-2010, 12:21 AM   #4
D0ughB0y
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grillfella View Post
thanks brother
No problem. I actually like to cut mine in half and make what has been called "ABT Boats" out of them. It makes for easy cleaning and stuffing, and I don't have to worry about ABT holders to hold the suckers upright. I recently (a few days ago) posted a thread with pics if you wanna take a look. :)

Old 02-02-2010, 01:05 AM   #5
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

I';ve heard of people soaking them in whole milk, but not Sprite. Never tried either method, I just core, remove the veins and seeds and I'm happy.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2010, 01:45 AM   #6
grillfella
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0ughB0y View Post
No problem. I actually like to cut mine in half and make what has been called "ABT Boats" out of them. It makes for easy cleaning and stuffing, and I don't have to worry about ABT holders to hold the suckers upright. I recently (a few days ago) posted a thread with pics if you wanna take a look. :)

Will do

Old 02-02-2010, 01:57 AM   #7
SmokinAussie

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

All I can think of is that the CO2 (which forms the bubbles), may react in some way with the Capasicin molecule, but frankly don't know for sure. If it IS true, then you could forget the lemonade and try a tsp of Bi Carb Soda in water, and leave overnight. At least that would avoid the sweetness of the Sprite. Worth a try....
SmokinAussie is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2010, 10:04 AM   #8
pahutchens
is one Smokin' Farker

I've seen the Sprite treatment as a step as well ,and also don't remember where.
My wife can't do the sugars so I have to be careful what I mix up
#5 Kamado refurbished 'the Copper top'
[COLOR="navy"]Blue 'like my Smoke' Thermapen[/COLOR]
IMBAS certified MOINK! baller, KCBS MCBJ & CTC
pahutchens is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2010, 10:27 AM   #9
Harbormaster

Name/Nickname : Clark

It could be the citric and/or carbonic acid that is in Sprite that does something. I would think the acids would have a greater effect than the sweet or lemon component.

Just sayin'.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2010, 10:40 AM   #10
GWA
On the road to being a farker

Never heard of it and naturally never did it. But I wouldn't try it either because they'd get soggy. Yuck.

Last edited by GWA; 02-02-2010 at 11:04 AM..
GWA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2010, 10:46 AM   #11
weconway

I also make boats. That reduces the amount of pepper in each turd. If you scrape out the membrane there won't be much heat left after their cooked. Just a light warmth.

Remember, the dairy (cream cheese), sweetness (brown sugar) and the heat will all conspire to kill the heat in the jalapenos. The only time I've had spicy ABTs was when I was careless about scraping out the innards and undercooked them so the jalapenos were still a bit crunchy.

NASA uses [COLOR=Red]RED[/COLOR] Thermapens. Just sayin'
weconway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2010, 11:12 AM   #12
D0ughB0y
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weconway View Post
I also make boats. That reduces the amount of pepper in each turd. If you scrape out the membrane there won't be much heat left after their cooked. Just a light warmth.

Remember, the dairy (cream cheese), sweetness (brown sugar) and the heat will all conspire to kill the heat in the jalapenos. The only time I've had spicy ABTs was when I was careless about scraping out the innards and undercooked them so the jalapenos were still a bit crunchy.
Just a few points based on my own experience...

There have been many manty times that I've gone and cleaned the peppers very carefully and still ended up with some obnoxious ones in the mix.

The spice-heat-mouthfeel shouldn't be affected by cooking.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:30 PM   #13
Bender
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Why not use a milder chili pepper, like an Anaheim or something else, for the folks that can't stand the heat?
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2010, 01:33 PM   #14
DubSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Why not use a milder chili pepper, like an Anaheim or something else, for the folks that can't stand the heat?
i second this, anahiem has a good flavor to
DubSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2010, 01:36 PM   #15
Harmening

I like to make them as hot as possible. Less people will eat them, which leaves more for my son and me. :)
Harmening is offline   Reply With Quote