MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:11 AM   #12256
wood-n-coals
Found some matches.

Default 30 gal build

Wow-I am only 55 pages into this thread, and have gone through many others by some such as norco and n8man, and have learned so much. Did my burn out last week on a 30 gallon drum-cleaned it in and out like a charm. Drilled 4X 7/8 holes 2" oc from the bottom, and the amount of ash that was left at the end of my burnout was nearly nothing-super efficient. Lots of wire brushing on tap for today, drill for rack supports, and prep for paint tomorrow. Thanks all for the help, and will def. post images when I'm done. Now back to page 56!
wood-n-coals is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2014, 02:02 PM   #12257
BBQClyde
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptain Kadian View Post
Love the thread. I have been cooking on a standard uds for years now with a bbq guru attached to it. I absolutely love it. I have build and sold probably 10 or so. I recently decided to make one for my cousin for his birthday. His was a little different. He has been in love with this t shaped uds that he saw years back. Well, this is how it turned out. Let me know what you think. I have a bunch of pictures of the build if anyone would like more info on how it was built.

I would love to build one like that! where could i see the build pics, etc?
That thing looks awesome.
BBQClyde is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2014, 10:36 PM   #12258
biggs98
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptain Kadian View Post
Love the thread. I have been cooking on a standard uds for years now with a bbq guru attached to it. I absolutely love it. I have build and sold probably 10 or so. I recently decided to make one for my cousin for his birthday. His was a little different. He has been in love with this t shaped uds that he saw years back. Well, this is how it turned out. Let me know what you think. I have a bunch of pictures of the build if anyone would like more info on how it was built.
Looks Awesome!!! Any and all info on how to build one of these would be greatly appreciated. I have 2 drums sitting in my backyard waiting to be used!
[B][COLOR="Blue"][COLOR="Yellow"]Joe[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B] - [B][U][COLOR="DarkOrange"][COLOR="Red"][COLOR="Black"]CHUBBY HUBBY BBQ - [/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/U][/B] [B][COLOR="Black"]Humphreys[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR="black"][COLOR="Yellow"]Pint[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B] / STAINLESS UDS(Build in Progress)/2 UDS /1 WSM / Weber Gasser/ 22.5 Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36/ The Absolute Fastest Super Fast [B][U][B][I]BLACK[/I][/B][/U][/B] Thermapen[COLOR="Black"][/COLOR]
biggs98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2014, 02:43 PM   #12259
Kaptain Kadian
is One Chatty Farker

I decided to create a new thread for the build. You should be able to find it
Kaptain Kadian is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-03-2014, 01:25 PM   #12260
tenoeight
Got rid of the matchlight.

I have been wanting to buy a new offset smoker for a few years now, my older ones were more than I could handle and were not practical with my low usage; they were both built for competitions. I was attempting to build an offset drum smoker when I found this thread and I must say THANK YOU to the Brethren. I built my smoker with leftover parts I found at work and my only purchase was a thermometer! My first instinct was to over build it, welded basket, fancy handles, dampers, diffusers, etc... but I stayed true to the ugly nature of the beast and knocked this thing out on less than an hour. It was burned in last weekend with oak, charcoal, and whatever else I could find. While the fire was raging I coated the inside with lots of cooking oil, and hours later after it has calmed down I threw a 2lb brick of lard on the coals and watched the new blaze erupt. So I played with the damper and valves and then over the weekend I had my halloween treats ribs and tenderloin! love this thing.

tenoeight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2014, 01:26 PM   #12261
tenoeight

maybe this link will work...

https://twitter.com/tenoeight/status...581952/photo/1

Last edited by tenoeight; 11-03-2014 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: broken img

Old 11-03-2014, 01:34 PM   #12262
tenoeight

a few more shots

https://twitter.com/tenoeight/status...389888/photo/1

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-08-2014, 01:34 PM   #12263
Dr. Trout Bum
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Greg

Finally got serious about building my UDS (want to do my TGiving Turkey on it).

Holes drilled, fire basket built. Now for the burn out.

My friend Jesse feeding it some wood

Making some progress

Fire in the hole! Obviously this is one of my holes for the pipe nipple air inlets. Liner and paint both seem to be coming off nicely.

Old 11-08-2014, 03:25 PM   #12264
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default 15 Gallon Mini UDS - Big Drum Smoker Clone

Here we go! Another Mini! Big Drum Smoker clone - no ball valves, no caps no bull****!

This is an unlined 15 Gallon barrel, it contained wheel bearing grease in a plastic bladder, no burnout required. Drilled three 3/4" intake holes 2.5" OC from the bottom of the drum. 3 stainless steel bolts to hold the grate 6" OC from the top lip. Ground magnets for intake vent covers.

Weber 14.5" Smokey Joe cook grate. Part # 7431

Weber SJS Charcoal grate Part # 7439. 9" x 9" dia. Expanded metal ring wired to grate.

4" Carriage bolt legs raise the basket 3.5" high. 1" above intake vents.

Four 1/2" exhaust vents, repurposed Weber handle for the drum lid.

A Sears Companion kettle lid adds 4" for a total 10" grate height. (Weber lid adds 3")

Thats how you do it!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-10-2014, 10:51 AM   #12265
Dr. Trout Bum
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Trout Bum View Post
Finally got serious about building my UDS (want to do my TGiving Turkey on it).

Holes drilled, fire basket built. Now for the burn out.

My friend Jesse feeding it some wood

Making some progress

Fire in the hole! Obviously this is one of my holes for the pipe nipple air inlets. Liner and paint both seem to be coming off nicely.

The liner seems to be coming off pretty easily. I know my fire was very hot, which I think may be the key. This was after hitting it for a few minutes with the drill with a furniture stripper attachment.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:47 PM   #12266
Dr. Trout Bum
is one Smokin' Farker

Here are a couple of shots of the fire basket. Just finished putting on the center post so I can grab it with a hook and pull it out of the drum.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:48 PM   #12267
vatoloco

Not getting enough smoke !!! After a little while mine stops producing smoke, but temp is fine. Don't know what im doing wrong. Is this normal??
vatoloco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2014, 08:42 PM   #12268
TXLX
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatoloco View Post
Not getting enough smoke !!! After a little while mine stops producing smoke, but temp is fine. Don't know what im doing wrong. Is this normal??
What kind of raw wood (type & size) and what kind of fuel are you using? I liberally mix in raw chunks in the fire basket with lump and it keeps light smoke going throughout the cook. Sometimes it will flare up with white smoke, but not for long.
TXLX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2014, 07:42 AM   #12269
AussieMatt
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatoloco View Post
What type of smoke, white or thin blue?

Sometimes you can't even see the thin blue that you want.

Weber Original 22" - RIP
UDS
Fiskgriddle
Weber Kettle Premium - Copper
AussieMatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2014, 05:14 PM   #12270
vatoloco

This is my second time to fire this thing up. In the beginning it is white smoke then turns into blue. I have used Kingsford mixed with chunks of mesquite the first time the second time i used lump mixed with chunks of mesquite same problem. I can take the lid off for a little while and then put it back on and it will smoke good for about 20 min then quit.
vatoloco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker