ideas for pit design

rehab6

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
I am getting ready to work on the inside of the pit i am making, and curious to get thoughts on what would be a good way to set it up. i am thinking of putting 3 shelves inside, about 9 inches apart, the top shelf about half the depth due to tank. the shelves are going to be removable, and i am planning on putting a rotisserie on it, with the ability to run center for whole hog, or 4 thin shelves for standard configuration. i am planning on putting in a propane burner system in the bottom of it so i can if need be convert it into a grill for cooking burgers / brauts for local fund raisers. the firebox is fed in via a 6" stove pipe from the bottom / rear of the smoker, and two - 3" vents with dampers. i am trying to decide if i should make larger vents or the two 3" would work.

any thoughts or advise on how i might make it differently, or suggestions? it has been a long time in the making and i want to make sure that it is set up properly.

Attachments

• rehab6.jpg
    rehab6.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 90
Sounds like you have a good starting plan.

One thing I would do with your shelving, especially since you are making them removable, is to set it up so that they could be used in different configurations. If you you space your shelf supports so that they are 3" apart instead of 9", you have the flexibility of using your four shelves in different heights. This makes the shelf usage rather flexible, which is always a good thing. You might even decide to make some more shelves to add to that flexibility, but four would do you well. Good luck, and keep us all informed as your build progresses.

I got nothin'.. I'm just impressed with the first pic...

Keep us posted.

Cheers!

Bill

Sounds like you have a good starting plan.

One thing I would do with your shelving, especially since you are making them removable, is to set it up so that they could be used in different configurations. If you you space your shelf supports so that they are 3" apart instead of 9", you have the flexibility of using your four shelves in different heights. This makes the shelf usage rather flexible, which is always a good thing. You might even decide to make some more shelves to add to that flexibility, but four would do you well. Good luck, and keep us all informed as your build progresses.

I like this idea for shelf support spacing to allow for more flexibility. I sure would like to see a better pic of what you've got going on with the firebox/vents/stovepipe.

Looks like it's set up to b ONE nice rig, though!

here is a shot of the firebox into the pit with the 6" pipe in. the two vents out are kind of able to be seen - two 3 inch vents one on each side. i am not sure if i need to make them larger, or keep them at the 3 inch. i am going to be putting dampers in each of the tow out vent pipes as well. and capping them with anti-rain caps

the firebox is an old sears home heater, that now has a new purpose in its life. i have been thinking about later on if need be getting one of the remote temp sensor units that has a blower and can be monitored remotely, and put the blower in the elbow of the in pipe.

i have several shelves from a commercial deep fryer stainless steel, with holes all over the steel, with two handles that i plan to be able to hook into the main shelves and hang down for additional shelving, and can be easily removed depending on what is being cooked. i am going to also try to use them for shelves for the rotisserie

Attachments

• IMG_0033.jpg
    IMG_0033.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 42
Back