Will this design work?

R

Ryan_289

Ive got a grill built out of half of a small propane tank. I know on traditional smokers the smoke comes from the bottom. My idea is this. I thought about making a plate that will basically fit in the tank and cut off about 1/3 of the grill. Basically like taking a drum lid and putting it in the grill and cutting a hole in the top side for smoke to go through. I would make a basket for the coals and wood chips on the small side and put the meat on the other side of the divider.Would I get enough smoke on my meat with it having to go up and over the divider? I have partially smoked lots of things on this grill just by keeping my fire on one side and putting the meat on the other side. Im just thiniking of some way to block some of the direct heat from the coals.

Basically your firebox will be built into the meat chamber. That design will work. You will still need proper vents and air intake as well as accounting for ash build up and removal. Many people set up their Weber kettles this way and use em smokers. The concept will work just as well in a larger pit too. I've seen a 250 gallon tank set up this way and the builder put a grate over the fire end so he could also grill and smoke at the same time.
I think the only issue you may have is that you will have hotter temps at that end of the pit since the fire is within the inside of the meat chamber.

Yea I know I will need to relocate a thermometer for smoking purposes. My current temp gauge is in the middle of the door. I know the temps have to be hotter there than at the cooking surface. The vents wont be a problem, they are already on that side.

The pit that I saw had a thick, (1/2") steel plate that ran up about halfway up the inside of the tank. He had welded some bars to hold the plate in place. He could remove it by simple pulling it up and out of the pit. I recommend a thicker plate. The thicker plate will deflect more heat and allow less radiant heat to go through it like a thin drum lid.

I think I found what I need in the scrap pile. Ive got an old stump jumper off of a bush hog. Ill cut the bar out of it and make it out of that. Its about 1/4-3/8 thick.

Back