Direct fire mayo slathered chicken***feel the radiance

good lookin chicken,

now that is what I call chicken carnage,

homemade mayo is even better when used for cooking like that.

Great chicken.

Never tried mayo. Can't get my mouth to try it.

The "thump" tap that ninja had you don't need mayo anyway ... It's the eggs in there that really does it because i get it with my roti fried chicken especially although I get it with the panko only fried chicken also.

I know the family has the allergies anyway so it's a moot point, just keep using panko.

Great chicken.

Never tried mayo. Can't get my mouth to try it.

I feel it really makes a difference but no mayonnaise taste. C'mon give it a try.

Of all slather techniques i feel this one does the most good things

The "thump" tap that ninja had you don't need mayo anyway ... It's the eggs in there that really does it because i get it with my roti fried chicken especially although I get it with the panko only fried chicken also.

I know the family has the allergies anyway so it's a moot point, just keep using panko.

Oh yea opps :doh:

....but yes If anyone likes that hard shell on the bird then egg wash does a nice job, just have to have that high high direct heat. (let the radiance shine!)

We actually have a egg free mayo we use.
Which that wouldn't work anyway because it's the eggs in it that does the magic. Aint that much difference anyway from what you're doing anyway so it's all good.

So any tips for someone that wants to do raised direct with a kettle?

I've got a home made mini WSM, but I'm not sure I can get it to 400 too easily and can't fit many birds on there.

Is this an excuse to go buy the WSM I've had my eye on?

Hadn't tried the mayo slather yet so gave it a shot last night after seeing this.

Really gotten the hang of working direct with the Akorn now after a few months. I can dial it in to 350 or 400 without overthinking or overadjusting it now.

DPP_2805_zpspvxvgugf.jpg

Hadn't tried the mayo slather yet so gave it a shot last night after seeing this.

Really gotten the hang of working direct with the Akorn now after a few months. I can dial it in to 350 or 400 without overthinking or overadjusting it now.

DPP_2805_zpspvxvgugf.jpg

That looks great, glad i could help push you over the edge.

So did you notice a difference with the mayo? What did ya think?

That looks great, glad i could help push you over the edge.

So did you notice a difference with the mayo? What did ya think?

Well, I didn't have time for a brine so I injected with some cajun butter. Didn't have enough time to let it sit in the fridge to dry the skin. Didn't poke holes or jaccard or score it. And it was definitely the most crisp skin I have ever cooked! :thumb:

I have done tons of tenderloins, chops, and wings since I got the grill but hadn't tried skin-on chicken yet. Have had plenty of rubber skin off my smoker before I got the grill.

It was a little tricky when I first got the cooker I wasn't sure when to run direct or indirect so I would throw on a tenderloin at 450 with the stone in it but wouldn't get any sear like I thought might happen since the grates are CI. So I would take the stone out mid cook to sear. It was really a mess of ideas and experiments. This method here is pretty much foolproof. :loco:

The versatility you can pull off with the distance that the Akorn gives you between coals and the grate is pretty amazing.

I've had some good results with mayo slathered thighs, both direct and slow smoked. I figured if I started skin side down... especially direct... too much of the mayo would be lost to the grates. No?

So any tips for someone that wants to do raised direct with a kettle?

I've got a home made mini WSM, but I'm not sure I can get it to 400 too easily and can't fit many birds on there.

Is this an excuse to go buy the WSM I've had my eye on?

Not an excuse. A reason. A very good reason.

Looks great! I loves smoking chix on the UDS with no deflector, or any other way of getting direct over coals with a little distance. :thumb: Haven't done the mayo slather in a while - I used to do these great chipotle/mayo thigh thingees - need to get back on that train.

Nice done sir!

Someone asked how to get crispy skin smoking chicken. My answer; dont smoke it.

Direct fire bbq is a neglected form and the answer.

The hot fire with the distance is the key, else you'd just be grillin.

It settled in 350-400 dome temp, i find it to be pretty accurate at those temps.

The skin came out super crispy, gave a thud when you tapped it, but still was bite through tender.

What is the distance, if I may ask?

Back