How to start a local competition

M

m2244

Hello,

I have been talking to a few people about doing a local BBQ challenge. It would be pretty small, very small town stuff. But we have a very nice park to do it in. Anyway, I am wondering how we should structure it, entry fee with prizes, or to benefit a cause. Should we ask for local sponsors?

Then there's charging for admission and food. What are the liabilities? If people drink, would the organizers be liable?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi,

Do you have any more details? Were you planning on having a vendor there to sell food? If so, they should have their own paperwork for the county/state as well as their own liability insurance.

Do you have a group of people that would be working on this with you?

Send an email to s a b e r i n c AT o p t o n l i n e DOT n e t and I'll respond with an outline of expected expenses and possible revenue generators.

Some general things that you need to look into are:

Garbage removal
Hot ash management
Security
Bathrooms
Lighting for overnight
Sanction or not
Volunteers
Categories
Electrical
Water
Event permit

Once you decide on the categories and your venue, it will be easier to zone in on specific questions/recommendations for your proposed event.

Good luck and definitely post any questions.

Eric

PS I didn't sleep last night and I'm a bit punchy, so apologies in advance if some of that didn't make sense.

Anyway, I am wondering how we should structure it, entry fee with prizes, or to benefit a cause. Should we ask for local sponsors?

Both. Teams will want an entry fee with prizes. Plan to return most of the entry fees to the teams as price money, and using income from vendors and the gate to cover costs and donate the balance to charity.

You will need show permits and liability insurance for sure. Insurance costs are higher if you are serving alcohol, but you are more likely to make money on the contest. I would suggest contacting the organizers of other local contests, and visiting them during a contest to see what they do.

Back