MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:20 AM   #16
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

And I respect your opinion as well, I can appreciate mods and tweaking, I've done a few myself, but sometimes I believe it's just splitting hairs.
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2012, 11:51 AM   #17
enasnidx
Full Fledged Farker

Resurrecting an older thread here to report how this has been working for me over the past year. I can say after smoking many different types and quantities of meat that I absolutely love the results. This was probably the easiest part of my UDS build and it works without flaw. The heat in my UDS is dispersed pretty evenly and I am able to cook large meats without having to worry about the middle being done faster or hotter than the outside. I can throw 3 racks of ribs on and they come out cooked evenly every time (and finished at the same time) and I don't have to worry about rotating them on the grate. The cooks are more efficient because I don't have to open lid. I usually spin the lid periodically without lifting it to put the exhaust vent on a different side so that the coals burn evenly around the basket.

I only bring this up again to give others an update and show how easy it is. Plus I can simply leave it out when I fill my basket if I want to have a hotter center (for maybe doing one butt in the middle). It uses such a small amount of fuel with the ring in the middle that I can fill my basket with maybe 1/4 of a bag of coals and I always have left over after a 9 hour smoke. I was amused at my last (amatuer) comp when no one knew what the heck I was using for smoking and they were refueling their huge smokers for a 6 hour rib cook (and using a full bag of coals in the process).

Hope others try this and get good results as well!

Old 06-02-2013, 10:50 AM   #18
angrybird
Found some matches.

Just came across this thread during a search.

Can you tell me the measurements of your final basket? Is it 18" diameter x 8" high with a 5" dia center ring? Or did you modify it at some point?

I'd like to try this as I like the idea of a more even dispersion of heat.

Do you think it is worth having several exhaust vents around the perimeter of the lid as opposed to one bigger single exhaust? Or does it not matter as much in your opinion? (I do prefer the appearance of a single pipe exhaust as opposed to several holes drilled in the lid).

Thanks
angrybird is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2013, 12:09 PM   #19
Daggs
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatpig View Post
C'mon, it's barbecue... a UDS, it's the simplicity that makes it great. Do we really need to over analyze every aspect of it?
I didm3'racks of baby backs the other day one rack finished in 5.5 hours and the others took another 2 hours once they were moved to the center!

Old 06-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #20
ajstrider
is One Chatty Farker

I took a slightly different route to try and even out temperatures, and I think it has worked well. I know because some people use the Weber lids and such, this may not work well. My drum lid did not have any bungs in it. I drilled eight 1/2" holes evenly spread across the top to even out airflow through the drum, rather than one exhaust drawing the heat to it.

Old 06-02-2013, 04:28 PM   #21
CambuiAl
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrybird View Post

Can you tell me the measurements of your final basket? Is it 18" diameter x 8" high with a 5" dia center ring? Or did you modify it at some point?

Do you think it is worth having several exhaust vents around the perimeter of the lid as opposed to one bigger single exhaust? Or does it not matter as much in your opinion? (I do prefer the appearance of a single pipe exhaust as opposed to several holes drilled in the lid).

R
Thanks
mine is 18" and I think it's too wide, so the idea of a central ring seems quite good, but with three air inlets, and mostly having 2 closed, my worry would be one side of the 'ring' nearest the open inlet, burning out completely, and not spreading the burn around the ring.

I have a flat lid with the two exhausts - one 2" and one 3/4". I have an additional two 3/4" holes. So far, i have kept all 3 of the 3/4" holes capped and just used the big exhaust (but I am still learning about how the exhausts impact airflow and temps). Certainly rotating the lid without opening it seems a good idea if using just the 2" exhaust.

For my next build, I will make a more standard 14" basket I think. 18" seems too wide.
CambuiAl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2013, 04:16 PM   #22
enasnidx
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrybird View Post

Thanks
Sorry missed this a couple weeks ago. My original dimensions have not changed. It still cooks every bit as good as the first day and I can say I don't remember ever needing to take out the ring in the middle for a cook. Just to empty the basket or clean out the ashes. Your cooks would likely be more even with several small exhaust holes. However I have a Weber lid on mine so it has one exhaust and works just fine. Like I said, I just spin the lid to put the exhaust over a different side when I check my temp every hour or two.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:23 PM   #23
enasnidx
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CambuiAl View Post
mine is 18" and I think it's too wide, so the idea of a central ring seems quite good, but with three air inlets, and mostly having 2 closed, my worry would be one side of the 'ring' nearest the open inlet, burning out completely, and not spreading the burn around the ring.

I have a flat lid with the two exhausts - one 2" and one 3/4". I have an additional two 3/4" holes. So far, i have kept all 3 of the 3/4" holes capped and just used the big exhaust (but I am still learning about how the exhausts impact airflow and temps). Certainly rotating the lid without opening it seems a good idea if using just the 2" exhaust.

For my next build, I will make a more standard 14" basket I think. 18" seems too wide.
I did experience a little uneven burning if I didn't switch off which inlet I left open during the burn. I attribute this to the design of the UDS itself, regardless of the basket design you would experience uneven burning if you only use one intake the whole time. To combat this I've since put a ball valve on all three of my intakes and keep each partially open for even air flow. Worth the extra $18 in parts for me.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:31 PM   #24
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

I have only 1 large intake (sliding draft door) and I get a good burn pattern all around with my 18" basket.

Tags
charcoal basket, diffuser, uds diffuser