Custom Drum Smoker on CL

blackdog043

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
"I have been through numerous designs and finally have a prefect smoker".
http://charlotte.craigslist.org/for/1983261697.html

Looks like somebody has been reading up on making a UDS. Wounder if this is anybody here, I would be curious to know how many they sell. Price seems a little high to me. Looks like they did a nice job though.

Last edited:
"I have been through numerous designs and finally have a prefect smoker".

Looks like somebody has been reading up on making a UDS. Wounder if this is anybody here, I would be curious to know how many they sell. Price seems a little high to me. Looks like they did a nice job though.

Howdy... seems the Cl post is missing

Ohhhh! That is either the new HARRY POTTER or WICCAN model. :p

$400 seems alittle high but he is using new drums and they aren't cheap

You would think for the premium price of the smoker, they would learn how to properly orientate the photo's so you wouldn't have to jack your neck all up trying to get a better look.....:mad2::mad2:

Looks like the bottem rack is pretty close to the fire basket. Flare ups?

These are not cheaply made grills, they require a good bit of steel fabrication and welding....

Really? Where exactly is that? I guess he could be doing something different in his "production" models but the only place I see a need for welding would be the intakes and I guess you could call cutting some holes "fabrication".

Also, its hard to tell but how do you control airflow? It looks like they are pipe nipples but I do not see a ball valve or caps.

Edit: Not trying to be a hater, just calling it like I see it. I am all for someone gettting paid for their time and effort. To me, $200 is a fair asking price for a standard UDS (really should include a dome lid IMHO for that price too).

WHY would you buy a UDS when you can get the 22.5" WSM for less than that?!?

Isnt the whole point of the UDS is to be on the CHEAP...?

Really? Where exactly is that? I guess he could be doing something different in his "production" models but the only place I see a need for welding would be the intakes and I guess you could call cutting some holes "fabrication".

Also, its hard to tell but how do you control airflow? It looks like they are pipe nipples but I do not see a ball valve or caps.

Edit: Not trying to be a hater, just calling it like I see it. I am all for someone gettting paid for their time and effort. To me, $200 is a fair asking price for a standard UDS (really should include a dome lid IMHO for that price too).

I also wondered about the "welding and fabrication" because I only see a few nipples that most people just drill and screw in...

I guess that's business, Market your product and upsell its value even though he has less than 1/4 of the asking price in each build :)

They look nice but that price blows my mind :shocked:

I think if you say big words like "Fabrication and Production" on your CL listing then you are authorized to charge big money for it!:rolleyes:

New open head unlined drums in charlotte are 65 dollars, not to bad.

I might of missed it but where does it say new drums??? Based on the fact there a no ribs and the drum is smooth, he might be rolling them from scratch.

BDS cookers do the same and that might be the high amount of fabrication.

BWDIK:wink:

Wow... This guy's AWFUL proud of that UDS. :shocked:

There's someone in St. Louis who sells 'em for $250-$275 on Craigslist. I thought that was a little too high for a UDS. :wink:

WHY would you buy a UDS when you can get the 22.5" WSM for less than that?!?

Isnt the whole point of the UDS is to be on the CHEAP...?

Yep. And I doubt a UDS will last as long as a WSM.

I was woundering about the fabrication also, it must be the basket :doh: along with drilling some holes.

Back