Berkshire Pigs

MCT

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Hi all. My parents have a little farm down in Tasmania, and on this farm they some pigs.
E I E I O.
Now they are visiting this weekend and bringing me a some ribs and hopefully a shoulder, from Berkshires that were slaughtered today.

Just wondering if anyone has cooked with Berkshire pigs, especially ribs and shoulders? Just wondering what I can expect. Apparently they are quite fatty (in general, not particularly the ones I am getting meat from), and they have a quite destinct flavour.

I just hope the guys at the abbatoir cut those ribs properly, it's not something that people would really ask for down in Tassie. Apparently he looked at my father like he was an alian when he asked "American Ribs".

Anyway, should be interesting, I'll have pics come this weekend.

Berkshire pork cooks up great on BBQ. It has a clean taste to the fat and excellent texture to the meat. I look for Berkshire heritage pork whenever I want the best quality pork for a cook. It is the same as Kurobuta pork in Japan.

We did a couple of berkshire shoulders a couple of weekends ago. They are definitely a little fattier than the standard Cash & Carry butts that we usually use. We cooked them the same way we cooked the cheaper ones and they turned out great.

Attachments

• Picture 748.jpg
    Picture 748.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 153
  • Picture 775.jpg
    Picture 775.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 153
  • Picture 778.jpg
    Picture 778.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 154
And yes in the top photo that is a brisket on the left.

Not that I will ever see Berkshire pork in this part of the world, how much more expensive is it?

Out here, per pound, about $1 or so for spares and sirloin, more like $2 for BB and tenderloins. I am a little surprised that Berkshire hogs would not be available in Ontario.

MCT, I bet you have a hard time getting brisket too. My brother lived in Australia about 10 years ago installing a Coca-cola bottling plant. He had to special request briskets from the butcher.

Of course that is true in the US as well.

Most of the hertiage breed of hog have a better taste if they are pasture raise

Berkshires are the breed that is used for organic pork here in Iowa.

Out here, per pound, about $1 or so for spares and sirloin, more like $2 for BB and tenderloins. I am a little surprised that Berkshire hogs would not be available in Ontario.

No problem finding Berkshire in Ontario. Healthy Butcher in Toronto Carries it as does Black Bow & a few others.

Back