MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:59 PM   #1
mranum
Full Fledged Farker

Default Question about calibrating a thermo

This might seem like a stupid question but, water boils at 210* but is that boiling point considered just the start of bubbles? I mean a rolling boil is way hotter than 210 correct?
mranum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2009, 09:05 PM   #2
MilitantSquatter

you want a rolling, aggressive boil with steam.. the small bubbles earlier at the bottom are just air pockets but it's not at full temp yet.

at sea level it's 212 deg. and approx a 2 degree drop in temp for every 1K feet in altitude above sea level.

hope that helps !!
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2009, 09:07 PM   #3
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Most important is to make sure you compensate for your elevation, as the higher you go, the lower the temperature that water boils. This website has a little calculator for determining the boiling temp of water at your elevation:
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm#calibrate

Don't worry about barometric pressure, it has a very small affect and not worth even plugging in. As far as when to measure, just wait till a full rolling boil, I mean you are talking about a couple of minutes, so no biggy.

Edit: A quick search, and according to wikipedia, your elevation is 1027 feet, which means that water boils at 209.6 (rounded to 210) at your elevation.
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2009, 09:24 PM   #4
mranum
Full Fledged Farker

Ok thanks guys, I guess I'll have to check it again. Seems when I checked it before it was just bubbling good but not rolling at all and read about 212*. But I better check it again just to be sure where I'm at.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:29 PM   #5
ABQ
On the road to being a farker

An alternative would be to use extreme cold to calibrate a thermometer. Fill a container with ice, add water, stir, add thermometer count to 30 and calibrate to 32*.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:07 PM   #6
voodooblu
Knows what a fatty is.

ABQ is right... the best and most accurate way is ice water!!
voodooblu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2009, 11:56 PM   #7
Crazy Harry
is Blowin Smoke!

calibrate it at both ends to make sure it is tracking properly. for cooking, the upper end is more important; for food storage, the low end.
Crazy Harry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2009, 01:05 AM   #8
Kettledog
Knows what a fatty is.

Two point calibration is more desirable but if you're using it for cooking temps mostly, the calibration point closest to your actual measurement (boiling point) is more important.
Kettledog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2009, 06:07 AM   #9
mranum
Full Fledged Farker

The thermo in question is a turkey fryer thermo that sits under the grate on my uds and the lowest temp on it is 100*.

I never heard of the cold water calibration, I will have to remember that.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:32 PM   #10
baldbill
Full Fledged Farker

Go with the icewater bath method. More accurate and safer!
baldbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2009, 06:18 PM   #11
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Sorry, have to disagree about the icewater method. When doing a one point cal (which is by far the most common), you want to calibrate at the temperature nearest to the temperature that you will be measuring, which is anywhere from 140 degrees to 210 degrees. Water boils at around 210, so it is perfect.

The problem with a one point cal is you can have drift, and while you may be rock solid accurate at 32 degrees, by the time you get up to 200 degrees you may have drifted quite far off target. Not all temperature gauges support a two point cal (I don't even know of one that does, but I'm sure they are out there). So if you're stuck with a one point cal, the higher temp makes much more sense to me. I could be wrong, maybe someone with a physics background can chime in here.
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote