MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:37 AM   #16
Nature Boy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ique View Post
Wow! A real live thread on competition cooking, imagine that.

I'm not a big fan of beef broth or stock as a finishing sauce (maybe as an injection though). You should already have plenty of beef flavor going on, so I find it to be flat addition. I'm looking for contrast. Also like the sauce to be thin and hot (temperature wise). Try a standard BBQ sauce like head country thinned with water and then perked up with fresh ground black pepper, MSG, and maybe a couple whacks of hot sauce.

Hey Chris!
Cool. I like that explanation. We too have been using a thin sauce, and not very much of it. Goal being to provide some tang a teeny bit of sweet and some heat, and perhaps slow the flavors down on the judges' tongues. I hadn't thought that beef broth might not be adding anything since the flavor of beef is already there (and prominent).

That really helps. Thanks dude!
Chris
Nature Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2008, 10:41 AM   #17
Nature Boy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podge View Post
i pretty much rely on the smoke, rub and injection for the brisket, and VERY thin coat of head country on there just so it's "sauced"
Hey Podge. Howzit goin?
That's very much my way of thinking. The brisket already tastes good. The sauce should only compliment and help bring out the flavors you already have....not introduce new flavors (assuming that the meat tastes good to begin with). That's a couple votes for Head Country. I remember it being strong on the liquid smoke though. Guess I'll have to put some on some beef!

Thanks man!
Chris

Old 11-14-2008, 11:18 AM   #18
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

For home use... I really love brisket with Slabs Sauce... I've also been playing a lot with Tabasco Garlic Sauce... Very tasty....

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2008, 11:32 AM   #19
Nature Boy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
For home use... I really love brisket with Slabs Sauce... I've also been playing a lot with Tabasco Garlic Sauce... Very tasty....

This is not a post about home cooking ;-)

Slabs was one of the sauces we used for a while. We did fairly well with it, but I decided it has too much tang for our brisket.

Tabasco garlic. Dang that sounds purty good.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:32 AM   #20
DMDon
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:

Ok Scottie, what about for competition use.
KCBS CBJ #23234
DMDon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2008, 11:43 AM   #21
Scottie

My sponsors banner says Blues Hog... So that is all I need... Now if you saw my storage room... I've got cases and cases of sauces that I have purchased... For off-season experiments!

I will say Chris. I am playing with the Garlic Tabasco for my comp cooking. But to be honest. I like it so much, I now just pour it all over my slices of brisket. It's the only leftover BBQ I can eat. Either the sliced flat or the point... So what I am working on is how much of it is a good thing for the judges.... But flavor wise.. I think it's outstanding. My girls really like the Tabasco Sweet flavored (sorta like a Tiger Sauce) on their brisket.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle

Old 11-14-2008, 11:52 AM   #22
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

I wonder how a red eye sauce would work. I just got this recipe in an e-mail from Weber.

1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 teaspoons minced shallot
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup brewed dark-roast coffee or espresso
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground ancho chile powder

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2008, 12:06 PM   #23
Nature Boy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioDaddio View Post
I wonder how a red eye sauce would work. I just got this recipe in an e-mail from Weber.

1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 teaspoons minced shallot
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup brewed dark-roast coffee or espresso
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground ancho chile powder

John
In my mind those flavors would all work nicely with beef. Slight tang from the balsamic and ketchup, but everyhing else offering round and earthy flavors. Betchya it needs a little more sweet though. Hmm. Interestin. Thanks for that.
Chris

Old 11-14-2008, 12:09 PM   #24
Nature Boy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
My sponsors banner says Blues Hog... So that is all I need... Now if you saw my storage room... I've got cases and cases of sauces that I have purchased... For off-season experiments!

I will say Chris. I am playing with the Garlic Tabasco for my comp cooking. But to be honest. I like it so much, I now just pour it all over my slices of brisket. It's the only leftover BBQ I can eat. Either the sliced flat or the point... So what I am working on is how much of it is a good thing for the judges.... But flavor wise.. I think it's outstanding. My girls really like the Tabasco Sweet flavored (sorta like a Tiger Sauce) on their brisket.
Yo Scottie. I really liked that sweet tabasco too. In fact it's gone and I can't find it at the grocery. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the garlic.
Beers!
CHris

Old 11-14-2008, 12:14 PM   #25
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

I used a white balsamic glaze with some brown sugar, pepper, salt, and garlic. It tasted awesome. I think it placed 17th out of around fifty teams. Could have been a little more tender.
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2008, 12:23 PM   #26
NelsonC
On the road to being a farker

Although my brisket didn't score well last time, I think that was a function of tenderness and not taste. My theory across the board is to stay with consistent flavors between my rub and sauce, so my sauces have always been flavored primarily with the rub that I used on the meat. At the moment my favorite brisket rub has been the Dizzy Pig Cowlick rub, so thats what I've been using in my sauce. My competition sauce recipie was as follows:

1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup turbinado sugar
1 tablespoon Molasses
1 tablespoon worchestershire sauce
1 tablespoon Hard Times Cafe XXX hot sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons Dizzy Pig Cowlick Rub
1/4 c of drippings from the brisket (preferably seperated of fat).

Combine all ingredients, simmer on low for approx 75% until it has reduced by 25%
NelsonC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2008, 12:27 PM   #27
Scottie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Boy View Post
Yo Scottie. I really liked that sweet tabasco too. In fact it's gone and I can't find it at the grocery. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the garlic.
Beers!
CHris
when I was down for Hammond in the Spring, we went over to Avery Island and the tour of the Tabasco grounds. I got this table top rack that had maybe 8 different Tabasco products in the rack. I liked the garlic so much, I bought a gallon bottle of it from them. yep, a whole gallon... So if you can't find it, I know their store carries all of their products.

The Sweet Tabasco is awesome on eggs!!!

http://countrystore.tabasco.com/prod...p?number=00052

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle

Old 11-14-2008, 12:41 PM   #28
arlieque
Full Fledged Farker

Scottie, great to see you supporting a KCBS sponsor. That is great.
arlieque is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2008, 12:46 PM   #29
Scottie

I did not have the 50¢ off coupon though. As they weren't a KCBS sponsor back when I was at their plant on Avery Island... Damn, I guess I missed the boat on that sponsorship...

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle

Old 11-14-2008, 12:55 PM   #30
roastntoast
On the road to being a farker

Has anybody tried the "Smoked Chipoltly Tobasco". It works really good on Beef too.

Jules
roastntoast is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Tags
brisket, flavor profile