Wild Turkey

kwas68

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
My farmer/hunter friends gave me a wild turkey. It is defrosting now. How should I cook it?

Smoke the white meat and make soup from the rest.unless it is a real young bird the dark meat is like an old boot

Dont know. Damn, I thought we was drinkin......:noidea:

Get a 2 gallon ziplock and some Morton's Tenderquick. Take the breast meat and create boneless, skinless halves. Weigh how much meat you have. This dry cure works for up to 5 lbs. of meat.

5 tbs Tenderquick
2 1/2 tbs. brown sugar
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. fresh cracked pepper

Combine the cure ingredients well. Put meat into ziplock and pour cure over meat. "Work" the bag thouroughly to coat the meat well on all sides. Refridgerate and "work" the the rub into to meat evenly once a day for five days. Before smoking, soak the meat in cold water for one hour and then pull out and pat dry. This takes the salt "burn" off the outside of the meat. Smoke until 165 internal and baste with garlic butter during the cook. Refrigerate one more day after the cook. Slice thin across the grain and you will have some sandwich meat to die for.

Last edited:
I smoked the legs one time off one my uncle gave to me and shredded it. Don't know if I'd do it again but it was okay. Just not anything to write home about so the guys might be right on with the ole boot thinking.

Back