• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Zeroing UDS temperature

scottjess

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hi Brethren; was wondering once you have got your UDS to your set temp; how often do you need to make adjustments to make it stay at the set temp.

Thanks.

They are pretty steady. You will get a bit more temp fluctuation with lump than with briquettes. One of the great things about the uds is how well they maintain their temps.

I was testing out a new UDS tonight with just a load of lump (no wood, no food) temps were fluctuating quite a bit, I am guessing it is the Lump; I have never used lump in a UDS before.

How often did you adjust the air inlet? If too frequently, you can start chasing temps. Otherwise, you may have an air leak. Also, how did you light your lump?

I always thought that Lump burned hotter, and Briquettes seemed to clog themselves with ashes after a 5 hours or so(hence the uds bang/wiggle rod mod). I would have thought that the ash factor was the main contiributor, and that Lump would be more constant.

However, I have seen some folks who hand assemble the lump pieces so the burn it ultra consistent . . .

Will watch for more responses.

I was testing out a new UDS tonight with just a load of lump (no wood, no food) temps were fluctuating quite a bit, I am guessing it is the Lump; I have never used lump in a UDS before.

I only use lump and I can usually cook 5 or 6 hours without adjustments,... I wiggle first and often that brings me back to temp, but if that does not work in 10 minutes or so, I'll open a vent.

I've never run just a load of lump, but I would guess the cooker would operate differently without meat.

I literally set the temp to 250, put meat on, wait 1/2 hour, make sure I am running at 250, go to work at 8:30 am, come home at 12, it's still at 250, flip meat, let temps stabilize, go back to work, come home at 5 and check temp and meat.

Usually have to wiggle the basket when I get home but temp is at or near 250.

BTW, I only use K in my UDS and whatever wood.

Jeff

I have run my UDS upwards of 16 hours without touching the charcoal using Kingsford Blue. I have done this with and without the Guru temp controller.

I have run my UDS upwards of 16 hours without touching the charcoal using Kingsford Blue. I have done this with and without the Guru temp controller.

Would you mind posting or PM'ing me a photo and details of your Guru set-up? I have the old Competitor model, but I'm guessing the mounting hardware is the same.

How often did you adjust the air inlet? If too frequently, you can start chasing temps. Otherwise, you may have an air leak. Also, how did you light your lump?

What do you mean by chasing temps? I was adjusting the ball valve a fair bit as this was the first time cooking with the adjustable valve, my last UDS I just had 3 magnets.

Would you mind posting or PM'ing me a photo and details of your Guru set-up? I have the old Competitor model, but I'm guessing the mounting hardware is the same.

I used the WSM Adapter on the drum. I drilled a 1" hole about 1.5" above the bottom of the drum and mounted the WSM adatper in that hole with the vent blowing down. The fan I have is the Pit Viper 10cfm and I had been using the DigiQ II DX controller. I can probably snap a photo of that setup if you want to see it....

I've used lump and Kingsford. Usually Kingsford. Doesn't seem to matter either way. Once temp is set it's pretty much good to go. I do use a Ique 110 for long smokes.

I used the WSM Adapter on the drum. I drilled a 1" hole about 1.5" above the bottom of the drum and mounted the WSM adatper in that hole with the vent blowing down. The fan I have is the Pit Viper 10cfm and I had been using the DigiQ II DX controller. I can probably snap a photo of that setup if you want to see it....

Yes, when it's convenient. I process information better with a picture. I have the Pit Viper 10 also, and I was concerned about the fan being so close to the ground (like when it snows). I had considered a Z piping arrangement to pick the fan up 4 or 5 inches, just not sure if that is possible.

Can I use JB weld around the air intakes to seal them up real good just incase of air leaks?

You may want to throw a fatty or something on there to get some seasoning. New drums are more sporadic then ones who have been run through a few times.

I use only use lump and can usually set the temp. and forget it for atleast 12 hours. Just light half or less of a chimney and let the temp slowly close to the set temp and close the ball valve until you see the temp start to settle down. It should remain steady for a very long time.

The only time I have problems holding temp if I start to much lump at the beginning or when I had my webber lid out of round and it leaked air really bad.

Back