MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:35 PM   #16
moontz
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeg View Post
Thanks, all, for the posts. This is exactly what I'm looking for. Keep it up!

For me, it's to gauge how well the controller is doing. I nice steady chart means it's working.

Wow, awesome work CapnBry. No way my resulting instructions will be as good as yours. You've even provided a link for every component. I'll be digesting your site for the next few days.

Android development (as I understand it) uses Java instead of C so I won't be able to copy your code without changes but it should still be a big help. I think I remember your posts on the Virtual Weber board. Thanks for the link!

I will copy your example and try to put in an "open lid" timer, although that will come later.

I didn't like this idea at first but after thinking about I've come around. It also makes it easier to remove a rack when one of the thermometers is in the meat. Do you put anything around the notch to minimize escaping air?

Thanks for the brace of realism. I'd be skeptical myself except that I've already completed a controller that had more complicated hardware. This one seems easier except (possibly) for the code but I'm a software engineer so I'm confident on that part. Be sure to shoot down any hare-brained ideas I might try. :)

I have the guru wifi and have it integrated with an android app I built. Works perfect but I'd love to build my own controller though so will be watching closely. Might be cool to do some comparisons with the guru when all said and done. Theirs actually adjusts their fan speed algorithm based on the smokers efficiency. Might be a useful feature to consider as I'm sure it takes a more aggressive setting to keep an offset going than a ceramic.
moontz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2012, 11:22 PM   #17
Deeg
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliking View Post
Have you read some of the other threads on here re: Arduino based controllers? You may be the first to assemble an Android based one. Of course, the Heatermeter is a superb (and superbly documented) project.
I've already built an Arduino-based controller. It's not as elegant as I'd like because I really didn't know what I was doing. I have a better idea and I think using an Android phone will make it more flexible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliking View Post
[oh btw - how did you manage to quote multiple posts in your reply? I have been on here a couple of years and have not been able to figure it out!!]
Just to the right of the big "Quote" button is a smaller button with a mouse-over message of "Multi-Quote This Message". Press the Multi-Quote button for every message you want to quote (it won't do much right away except turn red.) Then when you press the Quote button it will put all the messages you flagged as Multi-Quote.
Deeg is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-04-2012, 03:14 AM   #18
Theboz1419
is one Smokin' Farker

I have built a Raspberry Pi controller for my UDS following Bryan Mayland's Step by Step.

The Raspberry Pi is a credit-card sized computer- a Broadcom BCM2835 SoC, which includes an ARM1176JZF-S 700 MHz processor, VideoCore IV GPU, and 256 Megabytes of RAM

The complete project is actually very easy, the soldering is the hardest part.

The cost is about 110 dollars for everything

A case is still in the works but the design is being 3d printed and the files will be available to order if they fit correctly.

The complete Pi-Hetermeter. You can see a spot on the board for a wireless receiver(below the "NO" on the display), when used you can add wireless probes

This pic shows the Hetermeter(top) and the Raspberry PI(bottom)

More info
http://tvwbb.com/forumdisplay.php?85...BBQ-Controller

Raspberry Pi Heatermeter
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?3567...yPi-Standalone

A list with links to all the needed components
https://github.com/CapnBry/HeaterMet...r-4.0-Hardware

A Step by Step
https://github.com/CapnBry/HeaterMet...r-4.0-Assembly

Anybody can build one without experience. The WRT54G/heatermeter was my my first project and I have learned alot doing it myself. Bryan Mayland over at www.tvwbb.com will answer every question and is very helpful. He also continuosly upgrades the software putting in around 30 hours a week on it.

Here is a link to my still in use linkmeter and it also has a link to my older thread

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ht=heatermeter

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-04-2012, 09:44 AM   #19
CapnBry
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Android development (as I understand it) uses Java instead of C so I won't be able to copy your code without changes but it should still be a big help. I think I remember your posts on the Virtual Weber board. Thanks for the link!
Oh now I see. I was thinking that the IOIO ran independently but you're right, all the code actually runs on the Android and it just sends commands and can read data from the IOIO microcontroller. Yeah I guess you'd be starting from scratch then, but the concepts appear to be identical.

If you have any questions about how my stuff works (in order to keep the size down, I've taken some shortcuts that may make the source more difficult to follow) I'd be happy to share ideas with you.

Can't wait to see what you come up with!
CapnBry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2012, 11:28 AM   #20
willbird
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theboz1419 View Post
I have built a Raspberry Pi controller for my UDS following Bryan Mayland's Step by Step.

The Raspberry Pi is a credit-card sized computer- a Broadcom BCM2835 SoC, which includes an ARM1176JZF-S 700 MHz processor, VideoCore IV GPU, and 256 Megabytes of RAM

The complete project is actually very easy, the soldering is the hardest part.

The cost is about 110 dollars for everything

A case is still in the works but the design is being 3d printed and the files will be available to order if they fit correctly.

The complete Pi-Hetermeter. You can see a spot on the board for a wireless receiver(below the "NO" on the display), when used you can add wireless probes

This pic shows the Hetermeter(top) and the Raspberry PI(bottom)

More info
http://tvwbb.com/forumdisplay.php?85...BBQ-Controller

Raspberry Pi Heatermeter
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?3567...yPi-Standalone

A list with links to all the needed components
https://github.com/CapnBry/HeaterMet...r-4.0-Hardware

A Step by Step
https://github.com/CapnBry/HeaterMet...r-4.0-Assembly

Anybody can build one without experience. The WRT54G/heatermeter was my my first project and I have learned alot doing it myself. Bryan Mayland over at www.tvwbb.com will answer every question and is very helpful. He also continuosly upgrades the software putting in around 30 hours a week on it.

Here is a link to my still in use linkmeter and it also has a link to my older thread

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ht=heatermeter
That's all really cool :-). I'm looking at ways to make a simple solenoid intake air valve instead of using a blower. I think I will work that out with a cheap PID controller (can actually use my Auber to start playing around) then think about the Rasberry Pi setup. I just snagged a 30 gallon drum to build a mini UDS that this temp control idea will be used on.

Bill
willbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2012, 10:19 AM   #21
Deeg
Knows what a fatty is.

Are there any Android UI developers out there? I could use a hand in making the screens look more professional. I don't have any problem with the logic and algorithm stuff but my UI skills suck.

Update: I'm still waiting for my IOIO to arrive so I'm focusing on the Android programming. I've written some of the UI code and a service to monitor the smoker. I couldn't find a PID algorithm written in Java so I'm converting the one written for the Arduino. I'm getting help from the author but it'll take a few more days.

Once I get all the basic screens finished I'll post some screen shots to get some feedback (assuming I can figure out how to get screen shots on Android).

The cost so far is $80 (including shipping--thanks Amazon!). I still need to get the probes which I figure will cost $30. Anybody know a cheap source for Maverick probes? The last major item that I haven't bought yet are the parts that will be needed to attach the fan to the smoker; I still have no idea how I'm going to do that. Not including the Android (which is perhaps not fair) the total cost should be $120-$130.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:06 AM   #22
moontz

Quote:
Are there any Android UI developers out there? I could use a hand in making the screens look more professional. I don't have any problem with the logic and algorithm stuff but my UI skills suck.

Update: I'm still waiting for my IOIO to arrive so I'm focusing on the Android programming. I've written some of the UI code and a service to monitor the smoker. I couldn't find a PID algorithm written in Java so I'm converting the one written for the Arduino. I'm getting help from the author but it'll take a few more days.

Once I get all the basic screens finished I'll post some screen shots to get some feedback (assuming I can figure out how to get screen shots on Android).

The cost so far is $80 (including shipping--thanks Amazon!). I still need to get the probes which I figure will cost $30. Anybody know a cheap source for Maverick probes? The last major item that I haven't bought yet are the parts that will be needed to attach the fan to the smoker; I still have no idea how I'm going to do that. Not including the Android (which is perhaps not fair) the total cost should be $120-$130.
I might have time to help you out if you have some idea of layout and what screen functions you need. Do you have a wireframe or something you can send me to give an idea of complexity of the screen and number of screens?

Old 10-10-2012, 12:02 PM   #23
Deeg
Knows what a fatty is.

Hey moontz, thanks for the offer! My current plan is to create all the screens with the required controls, then I can pass that part to you for improvement. You can do as little as just making sure everything lines up or you can go crazy with sliders and icons or whatever else you think improves the interface. Then we can post screen shots here to get some feedback.

Once I get the PID stuff working I'll put the code up on github or SourceForge. Do you have a preference? If you don't care I'm leaning towards SourceForge since that's where most of my projects are. I'm hoping to have it up by the end of this weekend.

Edit: Forgot to answer your complexity question. Right now there are 3 screens:
1) Initial screen with multiple settings (i.e. text boxes) and a button to initiate the Android smoker service.
2) Status screen for displaying current temps, fan speed, and input to change thermostat setting.
3) "Settings" screen for shutting down server. In the future it will have other little-used settings like PID values.

Some day I'd like to add more functionality like graphing the temperatures, setting alarms, and automatically changing the temperature after a certain time. Or maybe something that turns down the heat after the meat hits a certain temperature. If/when I add wireless functionality there will no doubt be more screens. There's all sorts of crazy things we could add in the future.

Last edited by Deeg; 10-10-2012 at 12:12 PM.. Reason: Forgot to answer moontz' question on complexity.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:19 PM   #24
moontz

Quote:
Hey moontz, thanks for the offer! My current plan is to create all the screens with the required controls, then I can pass that part to you for improvement. You can do as little as just making sure everything lines up or you can go crazy with sliders and icons or whatever else you think improves the interface. Then we can post screen shots here to get some feedback.

Once I get the PID stuff working I'll put the code up on github or SourceForge. Do you have a preference? If you don't care I'm leaning towards SourceForge since that's where most of my projects are. I'm hoping to have it up by the end of this weekend.

Edit: Forgot to answer your complexity question. Right now there are 3 screens:
1) Initial screen with multiple settings (i.e. text boxes) and a button to initiate the Android smoker service.
2) Status screen for displaying current temps, fan speed, and input to change thermostat setting.
3) "Settings" screen for shutting down server. In the future it will have other little-used settings like PID values.

Some day I'd like to add more functionality like graphing the temperatures, setting alarms, and automatically changing the temperature after a certain time. Or maybe something that turns down the heat after the meat hits a certain temperature. If/when I add wireless functionality there will no doubt be more screens. There's all sorts of crazy things we could add in the future.
Sounds good. Just let me know when you get things uploaded and I can take a look as needed.

Brian

Old 10-12-2012, 12:08 PM   #25
Deeg
Knows what a fatty is.

Update: Still moving forward and working on the PID and the screen communication. Moontz, I should have something by tomorrow night. Do you have have suggestions on what to use to plot graphs on Android? I've been looking at http://androidplot.com and it appears to be simple but maybe you have experience with something else.

CapnBry, how steady have your temperatures been using the HeaterMeter? I'm just curious as to what my ceiling will be.

Version 1 of the UDS controller will expect the phone to be tethered to the controller. The IOIO can use a bluetooth dongle for communication so theoretically someone can use an Android phone to connect wirelessly but that will not be my initial focus. Right now the lowest OS version that will be supported is 2.2. I don't see a need for that to change.

For version 2 I have an old Motorola Droid that will spend the rest of its life connected to the UDS. At some point the Droid will act as a web server so I can monitor the UDS when I'm away from home (and also taunt my friends with "look what I'm cooking!").

This road map may change on a whim as I get new cool ideas or lose interest. :)

Old 10-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #26
jcm2m9
Knows what a fatty is.

I have been looking at doing something very similar. I will be watching this closely as I have 0 experiece with these things!
jcm2m9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #27
Daggs
is one Smokin' Farker

I applaud you guys for this, time, money and knowledge. It's awesome but it kinda takes something away from what BBQ is in my opinion. After all it is BBQ not BBIQ. Maybe I'm a little jealous which I can admit. I'm an electrician by trade so yes I have put some thought into it. I guess I like the Nostalgia of the lack of technology.
Keep up the good work, can't wait to see you guys get it figured out.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:13 PM   #28
Just BS
is one Smokin' Farker

This thread is WAY over my head. I'm able to figure out what you're trying to accomplish, but that's about it. Regardless, seems pretty cool. Good luck!
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2012, 09:28 PM   #29
jeffjenkins1
Babbling Farker

Watching this one since I have an arduino coming just for this.

Jeff
18" Weber OTS
Primo Oval XL
NB American Gourmet offset smoker
UDS
Big Chief Smoker
Turkey Fryer
jeffjenkins1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2012, 12:09 AM   #30
Deeg
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daggs View Post
I applaud you guys for this, time, money and knowledge. It's awesome but it kinda takes something away from what BBQ is in my opinion. After all it is BBQ not BBIQ. Maybe I'm a little jealous which I can admit. I'm an electrician by trade so yes I have put some thought into it. I guess I like the Nostalgia of the lack of technology.
I understand what you're saying. The next step is just to buy it pre-cooked at the grocery store. :) It takes all kinds. For me, I kinda' like the challenge of making the controller and seeing if I can get it to work. Besides, it impresses the chicks. Well, the nerdy ones, anyway, which is fine by me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjenkins1 View Post
Watching this one since I have an arduino coming just for this.
Just so you know, I don't plan on using an Arduino. This build is using an Android device and a couple of break-out boards. See CapnBry's excellent HeaterMeter if you want to use Arduino.