Competition Pork Butt Sauce Help

FlavorSavor

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Having a really hard time in pork butt. I've got tender meat with nice pork flavor, but I think I'm getting killed in judging over the sauce.

There are a lot of over-the-counter sauces I've tried and like. BH, PPM, BBG, etc...they're all good to me and if I'm eating at home these are sauces I like to use. But I understand that competition is a different ball game.

I'm looking for a sauce that's thin, but provides a nice natural pork color or sheen and keeps the pork flavor. I want my pork to taste like pork, while at the same time keeping the meat moist. I'm not a chef and it's hard for me to pull these ingredients together without some help. I know the basic flavor I want, but I need someone to point me in the right direction to get started.

Try thinning out some of the sauces you like at home with either apple juice,or the juice from your foiled pork butt. I would
heat the sauce before adding it to the meat. Also, be willing to consider the flavors you want, are maybe not the flavors the judges want. The two are not always the same.

ML

Last edited:
There are a lot of over-the-counter sauces I've tried and like. BH, PPM, BBG, etc...they're all good to me and if I'm eating at home these are sauces I like to use. But I understand that competition is a different ball game.

BH will do the trick, just thin it with drippings or water first.

How do you know it's the sauce that's the problem?

I suggest that you have a sauce party. Literally. Last time we did this I made 2 versions of my pork (might as well test 2 different injections, right) and made 16 base sauces. There were 12 of us. We each sampled a little pork with each of the 16 sauces and I had us score them. Come to find out, none of the sauces we thought would or should work with our BBQ worked worth a darn. We ended up with 11 of the 12 of us preferring one particular injection with one particular sauce, and the 12th person it was her 2nd favorite. We knew we were on to something, but most everyone said it was a little overpowering and lacked something. We all talked, and I did a little of this and a little of that, combined 3 sauces in a 50%, 40%, 10% mixture and *voila* we had a winner that all 12 of agreed was not only the best and went wonderful with one particular injection on my Q, in small quantities it didn't hide the BBQ flavor but enhanced it.

It sounds to me like you need a BBQ Sauce tasting party.

Last edited:
Also, infernooo did a sauce competition a while back where people submitted their recipes. You might hunt that up for recipes and recipe ideas.

Using the juice from the pan is great ideal but I would for sure use a grease separator. Then strain that juice before adding it to your sauce. I like to heat mine to almost Lava in temp heat not flavor heat. Wisk. Dip. Let us know and good luck.\

Husky Hog BBQ

Back