Advice for a good electric smoker

Mbalmer

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Since I got my WSM a friend of mine has been over a couple of times to have a few beers and sit around the smoker. He has become interested in buying a smoker, but doesn't want to have charcoal. I told him to get a WSM, but he doesn't want (what he described) a headache as far as messing with charcoal. He is more set it and forget it..

Anyway, anyone on here use an electric smoker? If so, please give me some direction on what you have.

He is looking to spend $300 or so.

Thanks.

I have a Cookshack Smokette 008 and paid $300 for it used, so its not in his budget.

Check out Masterbuilt or Bradley Smokers, but I get the feeling he'd get a headache and end up at your place for his Q!

CookShack Smokette if you can find one used. Been through the MES thing also.

I have a Cookshack Smokette 008 and paid $300 for it used, so its not in his budget.

Check out Masterbuilt or Bradley Smokers, but I get the feeling he'd get a headache and end up at your place for his Q!

I am new to smoking and felt that keeping the temp steady would be difficult for me. I started out with a Smoke Hollow electric. Bought at Gander Mountain for about $200. Works real well, keeps the temp right on spot. Has a water pan and a wood chip pan. Once I get used to smoking I hope to graduate to something else. I know the purists here will laugh at me but I am very pleased with it.

If his mind isn't totally set on electric I would actually suggest a gas smoker. I started with a Masterbuilt electric and while it was super easy to use the little wood chip tray didn't allow for good smoke flavor. My next smoker was a Great Outdoors Smokey Mountain I got at basspro. Not sure if they still have the exact model, but the link below is for a Masterbuilt gasser that is similar in size and less than $200. I was able to put smaller chunks in the cast iron wood box and it really put out the smoke that electrics can lack. And it runs steady as well.

http://www.basspro.com/Masterbuilt-Extra-Wide-Propane-Smoker/product/10219561/80511

I too have a Cookshack electric smoker, love that little thing.

I am new to smoking and felt that keeping the temp steady would be difficult for me. I started out with a Smoke Hollow electric. Bought at Gander Mountain for about $200. Works real well, keeps the temp right on spot. Has a water pan and a wood chip pan. Once I get used to smoking I hope to graduate to something else. I know the purists here will laugh at me but I am very pleased with it.

If you and the folks you're feeding are happy with your cooks, that's all that matters Good food is good food no matter how you get there. :thumb:

I have a MasterBuilt 40 inch electric I got at SAMS for just under $300. The company sent me a larger wood chip pan at no charge to replace the small pan that comes with it. Haven't had it long but it seems to be doing fine with the larger wood chip pan. Very easy to use and holds temp ~constant. It is on wheels so easy to roll it in/out of storage area when I get ready to use it. So for I am pleased with it. Let you know more in a few months.

did both - side-by-side wood and now a gasser..

had the Braunsfels side-by-side for years - takes a lot of attention controling the woodburner/temp/smoke

HPIM1210_640x480.JPG

and when it rusted out I went for the Master Forge propane smoker.. from Lowes for $149.= .... can't beat that price..

872076017783xl.jpg

should have gone that way a long time before that - love it - easy to control heat and like the 2 doors - bottom access to the woodpan and waterpan.... without having to open the smoke compartment if you have to refill...

HPIM3049r.JPG

HPIM3499r.JPG

HPIM3031r.JPG

had the Braunsfels side-by-side for years - takes a lot of attention controling the woodburner/temp/smoke

and when it rusted out I went for the Master Forge propane smoker.. from Lowes for $149.= .... can't beat that price..

872076017783xl.jpg

should have gone that way a long time before that - love it - easy to control heat and like the 2 doors - bottom access to the woodpan and waterpan.... without having to open the smoke compartment if you have to refill...

I started smoking on this master forge unit and had great success as well. For $150 it's hard to beat. The only problem I had with it was having to stay up all night adding chips to the box. I've since learned that you don't need smoke through the entire cook so it's not that high maintenance and the temps hold very steady provided it's not too windy. Last time I was at lowes they didn't have it in store. I'm assuming because it's going out of season around here for grills and smokers. If he were to consider this unit he may have to look online this time of year. Good luck to him with whatever he chooses.

You might want to try and convince him again about the WSM, as far as charcoal cooking goes beyond an egg there isn't much more of a set it and forget it cooker out there. You and I both know once he falls in love with smoking he's going to want charcoal eventually! Have his wife buy him an IQ110 for Christmas and be done with it and tell him to spend some time here before he makes up his mind!

Since I got my WSM a friend of mine has been over a couple of times to have a few beers and sit around the smoker. He has become interested in buying a smoker, but doesn't want to have charcoal. I told him to get a WSM, but he doesn't want (what he described) a headache as far as messing with charcoal. He is more set it and forget it..

Anyway, anyone on here use an electric smoker? If so, please give me some direction on what you have.

He is looking to spend $300 or so.

Thanks.

I have a Bradley digital 6 rack i might be interested in parting with now that i have my Yoder.

Just over a year old, plenty of pucks of good variety, extra element.

Wow, lots of good information on here people. I am going to tell my friend to check out the website. I still think he should get a WSM, but it's not my call.

Thanks for all the advice.

Back