MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:44 AM   #1
Brew-B-Q
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Keeping meat fresh

I've been burned with bad pork and ribs a few times, but fortunately I've been able to scrap together new meat in time to still compete. The logical thing to do is open the cryovac of pork the day before I leave (I often trim on-site) and if it looks and smells good, reseal. Does doing that compromise the freshness of the meat?

Assuming you have two equally fresh cuts of meat, would you expect one of these to be drastically different at cooking time? Both purchased on Wednesday and cooked Friday.

- Pork opened on Wednesday, trimmed, vac sealed....Friday cooked
- Pork opened on Friday, trimmed, cooked.

I tend to over think things, but I'm concerned about having some bad meat at the Jack. I may just end up buying two packs and keep one as a backup.
Brew-B-Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2011, 09:49 AM   #2
southernstyle
is one Smokin' Farker

if the butcher will let you see if you can dig thriugh the cryovacs and get the lasest sell by date that looks good enough to be competition meat
southernstyle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2011, 09:51 AM   #3
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

I trim at home on Wednesday evening for that reason. I had bad ribs once last year and had time to go get more.

As long as the meat is kept cold I don't think you would noticed a difference between meat trimmed on Wednesday vs. Friday.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2011, 09:56 AM   #4
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

I buy the big three on tuesday, packed tightly in a cooler filled to the top in ice. Kept cool at 32f. seems to hold a lot better for me than a fluctuating temp. refrigerator. (Yeti cooler too.)
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2011, 11:51 AM   #5
luckyduk
Full Fledged Farker

The big three do not concern me as much, the fresher the better. Chicken on the other hand worries me more. Pick up Tuesday, trim and vac pack. Lots of ice!!

Old 10-11-2011, 02:00 PM   #6
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

I know that I'm the unorthodox one...

I've had all of my meat ready to go for the last 4 weeks... Sitting in my deep freezer at -20*. Heck, my chicken was trimmed and cryo-sucked almost 3 months ago.

The meat well come out of the freezer tonight and go to the bottom of the fridge. Thursday night it moves into our meat cooler and is covered with ice. Friday it moves into our cambros and then gets seasoned.
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2011, 03:20 PM   #7
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

You're right. Dont over think things. K.I.S.S.

Are you boys coming to Libertyville?

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2011, 05:53 PM   #8
Brew-B-Q
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podge View Post
I buy the big three on tuesday, packed tightly in a cooler filled to the top in ice. Kept cool at 32f. seems to hold a lot better for me than a fluctuating temp. refrigerator. (Yeti cooler too.)
Thanks, keeping the meat in a cooler makes a lot of sense and I never really considered it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
You're right. Dont over think things. K.I.S.S.

Are you boys coming to Libertyville?
Yes, we will be at Libertyville. Not sure what time we're getting there as I have to work on Friday.
Brew-B-Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2011, 06:02 PM   #9
HarleyGirl14226
Full Fledged Farker

We were burned by both pork and ribs this year, and now we buy two packages "just in case"...we buy on Wednesday (Thursday if we're local) and keep on ice until trimming time.

[I]KCBS / NEBS / CBJ[/I]
[I][I]MAK 2 Star General / [/I][/I][I]Yoder YS640[/I]
[I]2 - WSM's 22 1/2 / [/I][I]3 - Weber kettle's[/I]
[I]Backwoods Fatboy[/I]
[I][COLOR=magenta]PINK[/COLOR] Thermapen[/I]
HarleyGirl14226 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2011, 06:27 PM   #10
Rub
is Blowin Smoke!

I've had it happen more than once. This isn't the initial story but it does discuss the news that came out a little while back. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the cause of some of these unexpected meats-gone-bad.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/29270634/detail.html
Nature's Own Hardwood Charcoal
Gator Nation
Rub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2011, 08:04 PM   #11
southernstyle
is one Smokin' Farker

thanks rub. that was eye opening
southernstyle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #12
jmill88
Knows what a fatty is.

How many of you keep your chicken frozen and thaw out a day or so before the comp. I am doing my first competition this week and my chicken is frozen. Would I be better off getting fresh chicken on Friday night?
jmill88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2011, 09:49 PM   #13
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

I've bought in bulk and had a trimming party (by myself :( ) and vacusucked and frozen chicken before. Chicken thaws fast. I put it in the cooler on Friday morning and it was thawed by Friday evening.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2011, 07:54 AM   #14
Pack-A-Smokes
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rub View Post
I've had it happen more than once. This isn't the initial story but it does discuss the news that came out a little while back. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the cause of some of these unexpected meats-gone-bad.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/29270634/detail.html
This is the reason I always check the meat as soon as I get it home. A few years ago I was catering an even and had purchased two cases of butts from a local Sam's. Placed them in the fridge overnight and pulled them out the next morn. Opened them and that is when the gagging started. Every pack in both cases was bad. I have never been so mad/sick in my life.
I called Sam's and they requested I bring them back. I took them back and they not only replaced the butts, but they also gave me my money back. That is what I call customer service. The meat guy told me they had several issues with truck drivers getting to there late nights and just turning their truck off and sleeping. This was in July.
'There are two pains in life. There is the pain of discipline and the pain of disappointment. If you can handle the pain of discipline, then you'll never have to deal with the pain of disappointment,'- Nick Saban
Pack-A-Smokes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2011, 10:00 AM   #15
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew-B-Q View Post
Yes, we will be at Libertyville. Not sure what time we're getting there as I have to work on Friday.
Then make sure you stop by and say hi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmill88 View Post
How many of you keep your chicken frozen and thaw out a day or so before the comp. I am doing my first competition this week and my chicken is frozen. Would I be better off getting fresh chicken on Friday night?
My chicken is the only thing that I don't thaw. It comes out of the freezer on Thursday night and is put in last into the cooler. By the time we get every thing set up it goes into a chilled cambro to thaw and is ready by mid afternoon for seasoning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
I've bought in bulk and had a trimming party (by myself :( ) and vacusucked and frozen chicken before.
I do this over the winter so it's not a pressing issue during the season.
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote