Grass fed beef...

keale

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
So a friend gave me a couple of Porterhouse steaks, and 7 blade steaks, it came from their cow, that was ONLY Grass Fed... My experience with these are that they are "gamey"

Any ideas how to get rid of the "gamey" taste? NO! I will not ship 'um to you either!:p
Thanks

I have not had the 'gamey' taste profile in grass finished beef that folks talk about, or it does not bother me. That being said, a 4 to 6 hour soak in a milk brine will draw some of the gamey flavor out, it makes it milder. Soaking in wine or beer can also do this. Hehe, a friends dad swore by soaking his steaks in Primo beer and then a real heavy coating of alae salt. He said it made the steaks taste better. I was never sure how adding Primo to anything made it taste better, I think it was the Hawaiian salt.

I've never experienced a gamey taste in grass fed beef, it is generally drier, a lot less marbling of the fat that is found in grain fed beef.

It's kind of like Deer, everyone says it's gamey. I cook mine hot and fast, works every time.

No idea how to get rid of that gamey taste. I purchased some flap meat from Australia and it had that same gamey taste. I had to use a load of steak sauce but still could taste it. Good luck.

Most beef sold in Australia is purely grass fed. I really do not know what you mean by "Gamey". Gamey, to me is a goat that's been hung for a week in a tree in India in Summer!

I do buy grain fed beef when I go to Costco, because that's all they have, and I do find it has a different flavour profile, but I would not call it better than grass fed, just different.

Just cook it up as you normally would and treat the taste as "different" but not "gamey".

Most beef sold in Australia is purely grass fed. I really do not know what you mean by "Gamey". Gamey, to me is a goat that's been hung for a week in a tree in India in Summer!

I do buy grain fed beef when I go to Costco, because that's all they have, and I do find it has a different flavour profile, but I would not call it better than grass fed, just different.

Just cook it up as you normally would and treat the taste as "different" but not "gamey".

I think it is because of what people have gotten used to in the US. Somebody did taste testing of corn fed vs. grass fed beef, and in most other countries, people preferred grass fed beef. But, in the US, corn fed was more preferred.

I guess folks here like the flavor of chemicals, hormones and atnibiotics over the flavor of, well, beef. :rolleyes:

CD

Grass fed beef needs to be finished off in a feed lot eating corn for weeks and weeks to get great taste. You can marinate range beef. Try pineapple juice with soy sauce and garlic and onion powder. Marinate 24 hours minimum. That really helps.

Also, just like Deer meat, Use as little of the fat that comes with the animal. I trim all the fat off my venison as that is where the game taste resides. Try to trim up the beef and if need be, use a bacon wrap to keep it moist.

So a friend gave me a couple of Porterhouse steaks, and 7 blade steaks, it came from their cow, that was ONLY Grass Fed... My experience with these are that they are "gamey"

Any ideas how to get rid of the "gamey" taste? NO! I will not ship 'um to you either!:p
Thanks

The "gamey" taste is usally from hormones, with deer, bear, and elk a male has a strong flavor because of the hormones. Yet a female of the same species is great flavor and has the fat to keep the meat moist.

Was it from a bull or a steer (castrated bull) or is it possible they could not cold dry age the beef before cutting. Non aged beef has a stronger flavor as the enzymes have not broken down the inner cell tissue.

I buy grass fed beef "on the hoof", four weeks on corn before slaughter, and it tastes great.

Thanks

I'm with you brother, az "grass"fed us some nasty chit...well not nasty but not beefy....and when I want want beef...not deer or elk, beef....i like deer and elk...but only when I want deer and elk..

That being said grampa raises cattle (a few each year) and they are in a grass pasture IN MINNESOTA that is rotated throughout the year (4 total pastures)at the end if their first year he picks one and sends it off in its last few months to get finished...(on oats I think) and that fellas (and ladies) is the way to do beef

Posted from my fancy android fone!!

I think it is because of what people have gotten used to in the US. Somebody did taste testing of corn fed vs. grass fed beef, and in most other countries, people preferred grass fed beef. But, in the US, corn fed was more preferred.

I guess folks here like the flavor of chemicals, hormones and atnibiotics over the flavor of, well, beef. :rolleyes:

CD

100% completely agree. Unfortunately the common feeling in the US is:

I'm with you brother, az "grass"fed us some nasty chit...well not nasty but not beefy....and when I want want beef...not deer or elk, beef....i like deer and elk...but only when I want deer and elk..

Oat/Corn fed is not a natural diet for a cow and in changes the biochemical mix in the muscles giving a larger, fattier, and far less healthy cut of meat. I eat grass fed exclusively and I've never found it to be gamey like wild game, but follow Landarc's advice on soaking it.

And some good info on the health benefits on grass fed:
http://www.eatwild.com/healthbenefits.htm

I like grass fed beef. I like the meaty flavor, and you can get good marbling with grass feeding, but it takes longer. Agribusiness wants cattle to go to market in a year, not two years. If they could raise in in six months using nuclear waste as feed, they would tell us that nuclear waste is good for us.

I eat corn-fed, feedlot beef, because there aren't a lot of options at the local Kroger. But, I consider it a treat when I get to eat a high-quality grass fed ribeye. I cook it hot-and-fast, to medium rare, and sometimes, don't even make a side dish. Just steak.

CD

I have eaten a lot of whitetail deer that we hunt around here and a lot of grass fed beef that my Dad used to raise for many years and I still don't know what "gamey" means. If you are cooking steak just cook it as hot and fast as you can and get a good caramelized crust on it.

I eat a lot of grass fed beef, it is my preference when I can afford it, it can get pricey around here. But, in Humboldt, I have access to local sweet grass beef and pork, it tastes great. I have cooked up a few briskets and found them to be excellent in both taste and texture. The steaks take a little more care and simply cannot be cooked past medium. I am pretty much alone in this, to my knowledge, all of my friends prefer formula or grain finished beef. Well, except for Smokejumpers, but, then again, that guy eats offal.

I gave those recommendations to Roy, but, I normally don't soak grass-fed beef as I prefer the flavor. I really am not a fan of deer, elk or bear. Or rattlesnake, pheasant, antelope, odd rodents and bugs.

I bet Roy actually got one of them wild cattle that Hawaii is famous for.

I eat a lot of grass fed beef, it is my preference when I can afford it, it can get pricey around here. But, in Humboldt, I have access to local sweet grass beef and pork, it tastes great. I have cooked up a few briskets and found them to be excellent in both taste and texture. The steaks take a little more care and simply cannot be cooked past medium. I am pretty much alone in this, to my knowledge, all of my friends prefer formula or grain finished beef. Well, except for Smokejumpers, but, then again, that guy eats offal.

I gave those recommendations to Roy, but, I normally don't soak grass-fed beef as I prefer the flavor. I really am not a fan of deer, elk or bear. Or rattlesnake, pheasant, antelope, odd rodents and bugs.

I bet Roy actually got one of them wild cattle that Hawaii is famous for.

I'll eat grass fed beef with you. Are you buying?

CD :-D

You would be ruined and scarred, when I cook Eel River Beef brisket, it is an experience. On the other hand, if you ever end up in San Francisco, we can go eat the world's best Islamic Chinese lamb ribs.

I think the correct word might be a beefy taste. Lot of us older people grew up on that type of taste. But for me I rather have grain feed beef

Back