Generator for comps

Brew-B-Q

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I'd like to add a generator in the near future, and was hoping to get some recommendations.

I hear that the Honda's are nice, but they are pretty expensive. I see Sam's carries a Gentron and ETQ, both in the 3,500 watt range, for $400-500, about half of the Honda. Anyone used these? Are they that much louder?

Thanks

Anything but a Honda will be too loud to use around neighbors unless you want very angry neighbors. You could look up the brand and check the decibels, but if it's anything like a standard Home Depot generator it'll be monster loud.

The Honda 2000 is rated at 53-59, the others are 65+. I like the inverter built in so I can run a computer, etc. safely.

Is $899 a decent price for an EU2000i?`

As far as I know they run between $1000.00 and $1200.00 so $900.00 seems better. I saw one on E-Bay for a few hundred. If you can afford a Honda go for it. Ours has never let us down. 50+ cooks over 4 years, it lives on the pit and gets the minimum of maintenance and it still starts right up.

Go for the Honda, 899's a good price as long as it includes free shipping and no sales tax.
I have 2, I parallel them to run my trailer a/c. Works great, reliable, and very quiet.

Honda, Yamaha and Kipor are all very quiet and portable.

Kipor isn't well known in the US, but if you can find a local servicing dealer they are a lower-priced alternative to the bigger brands.

We run with Kipor. The only problem is with getting them serviced. I had one large service team not be able to help me. I found local dealer and he helped me out. He said we were lucky he had the parts, because the parts have to come out of Canada and from there over seas. So if he didn't have it it could take 3 to 4 months. So if I had to do it over I would save my money till i could afford a Honda.

The Honda 2000 is rated at 53-59, the others are 65+. I like the inverter built in so I can run a computer, etc. safely.

Is $899 a decent price for an EU2000i?`

Where did you find this deal on the Honda. I need to upgrade from my ETQ

Where did you find this deal on the Honda. I need to upgrade from my ETQ

One is hayesequipment.com in Oklahoma
That's where we have bought 2 in the past. I called them today to check their price, it was $899, but said it was a May special, so the price is good for a few days I suppose. They are a good reputable dealer.

We run with Kipor. The only problem is with getting them serviced. I had one large service team not be able to help me. I found local dealer and he helped me out. He said we were lucky he had the parts, because the parts have to come out of Canada and from there over seas. So if he didn't have it it could take 3 to 4 months. So if I had to do it over I would save my money till i could afford a Honda.
A couple members at our trail riders club got Kipor's a while back and had problems with them, and the dealer did not have parts in stock. They're all running Honda's now. We have about 300 campsites at the club and just about everyone uses Honda's or Yamaha's.

Last edited:

Yep, that's why I suggested the brand only if you can find a local servicing dealer. All generators require periodic service, so having somebody you can trust to do the work nearby is essential.

My Briggs is a noisy lightening maker. :(

Back