MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:03 AM   #1
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default 60 gallon air compressor tank build

Well my son and I are working on this build together. It will be a RF smoker.
We are trying to get this done yesterday as he loves my Q and I need more space for my cooks. We've got things figured out but this thing called work/school is inhibiting our progress

So here we go, here's a pic of the door marked to be cut out

And here is the result, we're using the plasma cutter.

We've got a little grinder clean up work to do, and we'll do the burn out tonight.

Thanks for lookiin in

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2013, 07:06 AM   #2
dwfisk

Name/Nickname : Dave

Nice, I'm asking (Mrs.) Santa for a plasma this year!

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-11-2013, 07:40 AM   #3
Diesel Dave

The one I have will do jagged cut on 5/8 steel. It's a Thermal Dynamics and I didn't find the price too bad at $1300 I believe it was

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe

Old 09-11-2013, 08:06 AM   #4
Garrett
Babbling Farker

That's a good start! Something about cooking on something you built yourself makes everything taste that much better.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
Diesel Dave

Thanks Garrett

Well I'm waiting on parts and screwing around on the computer today, so I figured.........lets just do the burn now lol

That,s the start of it, got all the paint gone now and threw in the door for just a few, 20 minutes, so it would get the burn but not warp on me.
Ordered the steel for the rest of the project too. Going to pick that up in a couple hours when, hopefully, my parts will be in. I don't go for to many trips to town, 20 miles each way, just for one thing. But for the steel I'll make an exception

Old 09-11-2013, 01:19 PM   #6
BMCSRET
On the road to being a farker

Nice project, good luck and enjoy the fun.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:20 PM   #7
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Looks good thus far. Whereabouts in reading are you? My brother lives there in the outskirts of town on Gilmore Rd.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:22 PM   #8
Diesel Dave

On Quackenbush, the dirt side. Small world huh

Old 09-11-2013, 01:33 PM   #9
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : DHQ

Nice..

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148660[/URL]

250 Gallon Offset Build (2012)

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211078[/URL]

600 Gallon Offset Build (2016)
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2013, 01:34 PM   #10
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dave View Post
On Quackenbush, the dirt side. Small world huh
You wouldn't also be known as "Trucker Dave" would you? Either way yeah small world. Keep us posted on the build-looks like it's gonna be a nice smoker when it's done.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:26 PM   #11
pitbossJB
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : el jefe

I've got a tank just like that that I have stripped down to make a smoker out of, so I'll be watching to see how you do it.

UDS with 007 mods and pizza top
Highly modified Bandera w/ griddle on firebox
Mini SJ/UDS
micro mini UDS
Smokey Joe's
1983 22.5" Weber kettle
pitbossJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2013, 04:49 PM   #12
Diesel Dave

J-Rod no that's not me. But next time you're out this way let me know. We'll have to get together. And thanks I think it will be a nice one.

Thank you DownHomeQue

Stay tuned pitbossJB I'll be going at it this week and hope to have it done by next weekend. And thanks

Old 09-11-2013, 05:05 PM   #13
Diesel Dave

Well I picked up the steel, 1/4" and precut to size for me. The guys at the local fab shop are great!
The total for the firebox and plate for the RF as well as a 6 5/8 od pipe was just under $200. I've got some old gas pipe I'm using for the legs so that was free I know we all like that

Here's a pic of the front of the firebox. The wider side will be the hinge side and at the back of the smoker. The plate is just set on top for now and still need to weld in the last piece for the front

Here's a side view. As you can see I've made the top of the firebox long enough to reach the far side of the smoker as the plate. Figured this would be the best way to do it.

All the welds will be inside for a better look, except the back plate. I might, if I can reach weld it from the inside. But I want to be able to slide it up in place and mark my hole then cut it out.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:09 PM   #14
BASSER
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : ROB

Looks fun but my favorite part is.....it's a father/son project! Creating memories and Que. You cant beat that!

WSM 18.5", Weber Kettle, Thermapen, Maverick ET-732
BASSER is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-11-2013, 05:10 PM   #15
Diesel Dave

You are so right there my friend. Moments to remember for sure