Anyone ever try Lotta Bull Red Dust rub

Im a Walrus

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
on ribs? It looks like it has a lot of salt which makes me a bit nervous, but how does it turn out on ribs? I'm thinking of using it and finishing with the Lotta Bull sauce (which is downright delicious).

on ribs? It looks like it has a lot of salt which makes me a bit nervous, but how does it turn out on ribs? I'm thinking of using it and finishing with the Lotta Bull sauce (which is downright delicious).

Makes me a little nervous this has no replies. Has nobody tried it before? I have guests coming and am nervous about trying a new rub, but it has great reviews on lots of pork dishes- I just haven't seen reviews on ribs.

Thanks!

From the name, I think it is more suited for beef. I would think too much salt in a rib rub will draw out too much moisture and leave you with dry ribs. There is not too much meat on ribs so IMO I would stay away from hi salt rubs.

From the name, I think it is more suited for beef. I would think too much salt in a rib rub will draw out too much moisture and leave you with dry ribs. There is not too much meat on ribs so IMO I would stay away from hi salt rubs.

That was my thought, but it is advertised as being for all meats including ribs. I just got concerned when I saw salt as the primary ingredient. Sounds like I should stay away.

If it is really that salty then just sprinkle it on like a seasoned salt such as Lawry's or Tony Chacheres.

I have heard people say that Tony's is way too salty to be used. These people have most likely used it very heavily like a rub when it is not. Its a seasoned salt and should be applied like salt.

I haven't tried it on spares. I received a sample from Mike at a class he gave here in May. I honestly wasn't crazy about it and I wouldn't use it on ribs, but that is just my personal preference. I much prefer his All-Purpose seasoning and use it often.

I haven't tried it on spares. I received a sample from Mike at a class he gave here in May. I honestly wasn't crazy about it and I wouldn't use it on ribs, but that is just my personal preference. I much prefer his All-Purpose seasoning and use it often.

Thanks. In that case, any rub recipes anyone recommends which would go well with Lotta Bull BBQ sauce (which I love)?

Back