MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:13 PM   #1
chuckswagonbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Chuck
Default Pig Roast Wedding

I am pretty good at pricing my services but this one has me stumped. Here’s the situation:

I got a call for someone who wants a pig roast for their wedding. It’s for 125 people and they also want bbq chicken. They would like 3 sides and up to 6 different appetizers, hot and cold. They also want china plates and silverware instead of paper and plastic ware.

This would be my first pig roast for a wedding.

They gave me a budget amount of $25 to 30 per person.

I normally get $20 per head, for a party over 100 people, for the pig and three sides, w/ paper and plastic wares. But with the plates, silverware, BBQ chicken and appetizers, I do not think that I can meet the $30 per person. I am going to need at least one or two other cooks and two to three servers. The cooks get $100 for the day and the servers get $75.

I would have to rent the plates, and silver ware. The plates are .30 each and the silverware is .35 for each fork, knife and spoon. I do not need to rent chafing dishes since I have bought them already.

What do others get for this kind of service?

Meadow Creek CD-108
2 WSM
Small Drum Smokers
chuckswagonbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2009, 04:01 PM   #2
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Sounds to me that what they want and what they're going to get are two different things. Let them know if they want to stay in the $25-$30 price range they are going to have to live without some of the things they are asking for.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2009, 04:08 PM   #3
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

THis is when established pricing really helps. Sounds more like $35 per, but...

So for the pig, chix and 3 sides I would be at around $18.50 per

Pork sliders $2 per
MOINKS $2 per
Sauage Platter $2
Crudites 1.50
Fruit Platter 2.00
Cheese Platter 2.00

So, $18.50 entrees + 11.50 appetizers + $2.80 (plate, salad fork, dinner fork, spoon, knife and linen napkin {guessed the pricing on the napkin} )= $32.80

You may need glassware too and hey it would be nice to have some room for a gratuity!

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2009, 05:38 PM   #4
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckswagonbbq View Post
I am pretty good at pricing my services but this one has me stumped. Here’s the situation:

I got a call for someone who wants a pig roast for their wedding. It’s for 125 people and they also want bbq chicken. They would like 3 sides and up to 6 different appetizers, hot and cold. They also want china plates and silverware instead of paper and plastic ware.

This would be my first pig roast for a wedding.

They gave me a budget amount of $25 to 30 per person.

I normally get $20 per head, for a party over 100 people, for the pig and three sides, w/ paper and plastic wares. But with the plates, silverware, BBQ chicken and appetizers, I do not think that I can meet the $30 per person. I am going to need at least one or two other cooks and two to three servers. The cooks get $100 for the day and the servers get $75.

I would have to rent the plates, and silver ware. The plates are .30 each and the silverware is .35 for each fork, knife and spoon. I do not need to rent chafing dishes since I have bought them already.

What do others get for this kind of service?
Do you have a local rental company who will do the service ware set up and take down and let them bid it separately. I am hooked up with one who does it all tents,Johns,dance floors ect I reefer and vice versa and if in the budget I can tack on a few percent. One less thing you have to do.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:12 AM   #5
chuckswagonbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big brother smoke View Post
THis is when established pricing really helps. Sounds more like $35 per, but...

So for the pig, chix and 3 sides I would be at around $18.50 per

Pork sliders $2 per
MOINKS $2 per
Sauage Platter $2
Crudites 1.50
Fruit Platter 2.00
Cheese Platter 2.00

So, $18.50 entrees + 11.50 appetizers + $2.80 (plate, salad fork, dinner fork, spoon, knife and linen napkin {guessed the pricing on the napkin} )= $32.80

You may need glassware too and hey it would be nice to have some room for a gratuity!
Big Brother,

I was coming up with numbers close to yours. I was definately at $35 per head. They did not ask for linen napkins but I was going to go for high quality paper napkins. They stated that they do not need glasware from me because their bartender will be providing it.

Would offer only 4 apps to too little?

Meadow Creek CD-108
2 WSM
Small Drum Smokers

Old 11-06-2009, 07:23 AM   #6
chuckswagonbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinit View Post
Do you have a local rental company who will do the service ware set up and take down and let them bid it separately. I am hooked up with one who does it all tents,Johns,dance floors ect I reefer and vice versa and if in the budget I can tack on a few percent. One less thing you have to do.

Smokinit<

I do use a rental company and it is the same as this guy uses. The groom works for the our local theater, which get in national plays and concerts. His title is Facility Manager/Artist Services. I am jazzed that he is looking at my company because when he tastes how good my food for his wedding is, I will have an in to do the catering for the artists at the theater. I really want to land this gig but I do not want to lose my shirt.

Meadow Creek CD-108
2 WSM
Small Drum Smokers

Old 11-06-2009, 08:22 AM   #7
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

I think four appetizers is plenty. Six is a little excessive, but hey as long as they are paying the bill.