Votes: 12 21.8%
  • Doesnt matter to me.

Votes: 20 36.4%

• Total voters

BBQchef33

Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Batch Image
Reaction score
No reason for this.. Just answer in the poll.

The TOY results were announced early and made public this year, instead of being done at the KCBS banquet as done in the past.

Should the Team of the year results be kept under wraps, and announced at the annual banquet.

While I think the element of surprise is fun, by working the numbers it's possible to figure out the winners prior to the awards since the finishes of each comp are posted. Although that would take some work.

Maybe in the future, the KCBS would only list (on the site) the non-top 10 finishers of each catagory and alphabetically list who finished in the top 10 and note that this will be unvailed at the Awards Banquet. Then those teams could decide if they wanted to attend the banquet or not. But something tells me that these teams are going to do the math to figure out where they finished prior to the banquet anyway - or the finishes will get listed on one sight or another.

They should be on-line and updated immediately after each contest. When results are psoted on the website they can be uploaded into the database. Should be no need for data entry. Everybody can see them.

There should be a fourth choice. The one that Ford described. I like immediate feedback. It also allows teams to audit their own results and report any errors before year end.

TOY pts

Lets dont confuse the KCBS any further. It took long enough to get the TOY pts posted. Any of the teams that were in the running knew that they were at the top. We as a team kept track of our pts and we knew where we stood befor the pts came out. Its like any sport Nascar, Baseball etc. they all know who is going to win before the end of the year banquet. We are all humen and do not like change!! I would like to see the KCBS award money to the top 20 in each catagory and top 20 overall, it is had work and the teams should be rewarded. 50k is not to much for the awards is it?

I'm all for having standings updated after each contest. It's easier to correct any errors in a timely fashion, and generates interest in the race. As far as it being public before the banquet -- well, imagine that your team maybe-maybenot made 10th place by a hair, wouldn't you want to know far enough in advance to make travel plans to the banquet if that was your desire?

I'm all for having standings updated after each contest. It's easier to correct any errors in a timely fashion, and generates interest in the race. As far as it being public before the banquet -- well, imagine that your team maybe-maybenot made 10th place by a hair, wouldn't you want to know far enough in advance to make travel plans to the banquet if that was your desire?

Yes. :cool: I'm still waiting.

Lets dont confuse the KCBS any further. It took long enough to get the TOY pts posted. Any of the teams that were in the running knew that they were at the top. We as a team kept track of our pts and we knew where we stood befor the pts came out. Its like any sport Nascar, Baseball etc. they all know who is going to win before the end of the year banquet. We are all humen and do not like change!! I would like to see the KCBS award money to the top 20 in each catagory and top 20 overall, it is had work and the teams should be rewarded. 50k is not to much for the awards is it?

You had me until the cash prizes. The playing field just isn't level enough to take membership dues and give them to the teams who are fortunate enough to cook 20+ contests. Now if the money could come from outside sponsorship, then probably a good idea. It gives incentive to those that want to push out a few more contests in a year.

The CBBQA moved its ToY to a public chase a couple of years ago
The "your best 5 contests count" event really helped the whole season
ALL qualified events grew in numbers
At the year ending contest everyone was adding totals as the results were annouced
Then there is a Feb "QFest" where awards are handed out
Yea It aint the oscars ..................................
What ya want one night or a season?

This year it should have been kept under wraps since it was done that way in years past... Announcing results with only a month to go in the first year of a new system with errors/ommissions very likely was probably not the best idea.

Moving forward, I think a continually updated leaderboard is ideal as it makes it more exciting for those who wish to track as the season progresses.

Last edited:
The IA BBQ Society tracked the results throughout the year and everyone knew about where they were. This coming year it will be posted on the web site throughout the season. The members seemed to appreciate that because they knew 1) what they needed to score to move up, 2) if they needed to attend contest they hadn't planned on so they could get points, and 3) what they had to score to retain position.

I think seeing the scores forces teams to stay at the top of their game.

The IA BBQ Society tracked the results throughout the year and everyone knew about where they were. This coming year it will be posted on the web site throughout the season. The members seemed to appreciate that because they knew 1) what they needed to score to move up, 2) if they needed to attend contest they hadn't planned on so they could get points, and 3) what they had to score to retain position.

I think seeing the scores forces teams to stay at the top of their game.

The CBBQA moved its ToY to a public chase a couple of years ago
The "your best 5 contests count" event really helped the whole season
ALL qualified events grew in numbers
At the year ending contest everyone was adding totals as the results were annouced
Then there is a Feb "QFest" where awards are handed out
Yea It aint the oscars ..................................
What ya want one night or a season?

Wow, we need our own BBQ Society/Association here in Kansas City. :cool: That sounds like fun.

Wow, we need our own BBQ Society/Association here in Kansas City. :cool: That sounds like fun.
It is. We have a banquet in January that consist of education class like food safety, then cocktail hour and then a dinner. Followed by awards which are a banner for the top team of each category. We had quite a good turn out last year and probbaly will this year. I think more than anything a lot of people haven't seen each other for a few months, so it's a good time to catch up.

We also have monthly meetings at bbq joints across the state. You should check out our site www.iabbq.org and see some of the community work we have done like food giveaways, senior q, etc.

It is. We have a banquet in January that consist of education class like food safety, then cocktail hour and then a dinner. Followed by awards which are a banner for the top team of each category. We had quite a good turn out last year and probbaly will this year. I think more than anything a lot of people haven't seen each other for a few months, so it's a good time to catch up.

We also have monthly meetings at bbq joints across the state. You should check out our site www.iabbq.org and see some of the community work we have done like food giveaways, senior q, etc.

We used to have something much like that. :cool:

I plan on being there, I let Anne know I wanted to join IBS last week.

Speaking of fun... the KookersKare winter fun fest is around the corner. The raffle will include both brethren baskets, and plowboys bbq gift boxes... etc... a louisana grills cooker... and many contest entries!!!

We used to have something much like that. :cool:
I think we will again :idea:

I plan on being there, I let Anne know I wanted to join IBS last week.
Come on out to the fun fest Bob!!! What else should BBQ folks inthe midwest do in the winter :wink:

That's mid/late feb right? Is Vesper Hall the old Elks lodge in BS?

Back