MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-20-2019, 11:58 AM   #61
jdtTX
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjax View Post
I don't think we are. We simply don't have the level of drama in how animals destined for our tables are treated. Sure, I'd like it to be massages and beer and harps playing, but that's not realistic, and I am ok with that.

Maybe I'm a cynic, but I think the OP has an agenda and is simply trying to convey it in a way to make his or her point without the picketing and pig's blood.

Starving children is an entirely different topic IMHO.
Its still an important topic even if he is trolling. We have some seriously poor practices regarding how most of the best in this country is produced. But we made the mess with a demand for cheap, massive cuts.

I oversee operations for a fairly large hunger alleviation agency in Dallas. I hope I understand the starving children angle better than most. We don't have a food problem. We have a logistics and political problem. There's no reason for anyone to go to bed hungry in the wealthiest country the world has ever seen. It's insane.

Thanks from: --->

Old 04-20-2019, 12:16 PM   #62
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

What about them spraying wheat with roundup and wheat allergies n cancer. ?

Old 04-20-2019, 12:19 PM   #63
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdtTX View Post
Its still an important topic even if he is trolling. ....

In your opinion. I actually disagree that it is all that important of a topic or else there would be more public discourse. It's getting some air-time here for a multitude of reasons.

Just like sausage - we like to eat it, but most people don't care to know what goes into making it. Doesn't stop them from eating it.

I get your sensitivity on the availability of food topic, but that is an entirely different issue as previously mentioned with many many socioeconomic, political, even ethnic and racial variables, certainly not germane to Q-Talk.
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-20-2019, 12:47 PM   #64
ruger35
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Nope

I don't believe a lot of what I read/hear, but most of these practices are promoted in some form or fashion by the government. It's why I am moving towards a more local approach or at least knowing where my food comes from instead of just at the store. If pork is like beef, it can be raised in a place like China (owns Smithfield) and as long as it is processed here they can slap a "USA product" sticker on it and sell it at the store. A quick search shows how serious their African swine flu has become.

Old 04-20-2019, 12:48 PM   #65
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

"certainly not germane to Q-Talk."

Line from Archie Bunker "what's the GD Germans got to do with it?"

sorry-had to.

play on.

Old 04-20-2019, 02:57 PM   #66
4ever3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuco59 View Post
"certainly not germane to Q-Talk."

Line from Archie Bunker "what's the GD Germans got to do with it?"

sorry-had to.

play on.
Sorry, that wasn’t Archie Bunker, it was Sheriff Buford T. Justice...

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
GMG TREK (Greta Thunberg)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

2x “Unfortunately nothing wrong with that” Bob C Que…
I must be living right (somehow…)
4ever3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2019, 03:50 PM   #67
arianimal
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjax View Post
Maybe I'm a cynic, but I think the OP has an agenda and is simply trying to convey it in a way to make his or her point without the picketing and pig's blood.
I promise I'm not trolling. Regardless my line of questioning, I love eating (and preparing) meat, and would like to continue doing so.

Great suggestions here for how to do so more ethically. Some of them I've thought a lot about. Others are newer. Excited to learn more.

I felt lots of tension around posting this in the first place because a part of me wishes I could be naive to the broader effects of my dietary choices. And despite how it may come across to some of you more sensitive types, I'm not particularly keen on turning anyone else onto this pity party. You can think for yourselves. I also knew there'd inevitably be folks who confuse my line of questioning for that of some kind of enemy ("burn the peta witch!"). The latter definitely ain't my problem.

Probably my last reply on this thread, but I'll keep reading your responses. I've learned so much from this community over the years. Thanks, brethren.
arianimal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2019, 03:55 PM   #68
4ever3

No reason to stop responding to yer own thread...

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
GMG TREK (Greta Thunberg)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

2x “Unfortunately nothing wrong with that” Bob C Que…
I must be living right (somehow…)
4ever3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2019, 04:44 PM   #69
davidparker
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

I guess there is always Soylent Green (Let's see how many know what that is!)

Old 04-20-2019, 04:54 PM   #70
Shadowdog500
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidparker View Post
I guess there is always Soylent Green (Let's see how many know what that is!)
It’s what humanitarians eat in the future. (2022 to be exact)It’s said to contain high-energy plankton, but we know better. Chris

Last edited by Shadowdog500; 04-20-2019 at 05:01 PM..
Shadowdog500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2019, 06:13 PM   #71
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by arianimal View Post
I promise I'm not trolling. Regardless my line of questioning, I love eating (and preparing) meat, and would like to continue doing so.
I hope that's the case, but like I said, I'm a cynic. If indeed you thought you would find some enlightenment in this great forum to your heretical thinking I hope you did. You provided me some amusement either way so thanks.

P.S. Those Costco prime NY strips I just had for dinner were awesome!
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2019, 11:05 PM   #72
Titch

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

Quote:

Great suggestions here for how to do so more ethically. Some of them I've thought a lot about. Others are newer. Excited to learn more.

I felt lots of tension around posting this in the first place because a part of me wishes I could be naive to the broader effects of my dietary choices. And despite how it may come across to some of you more sensitive types, I'm not particularly keen on turning anyone else onto this pity party. You can think for yourselves. I also knew there'd inevitably be folks who confuse my line of questioning for that of some kind of enemy ("burn the peta witch!"). The latter definitely ain't my problem.

Probably my last reply on this thread, but I'll keep reading your responses. I've learned so much from this community over the years. Thanks, brethren.
If I read you right, and I am relating what I could do down here, I am sure you still have Butchers that paddock dress animals
Find yourself such a Butcher and you would be getting Meat that is treated well, leading a contented life.
meat tastes better, is,should be treated Better, maybe as good as Cowgirl would.
I get meat as such when doing Bulk Buys, yes its pricey,
just my take. Good luck with your Quest

Old 04-21-2019, 08:33 AM   #73
Prodrvr
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Big Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by cullenbranson View Post
Get laid. Get drunk.
Best advice in this whole thread!
Prodrvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2019, 09:05 AM   #74
smoke ninja

as I was pondering your question I was suddenly interrupted by the screams of a baby rabbit as my beloved cat Oscar choked the life out of it

it's easy to be ethical when your this far on top of the food chain.

Old 04-21-2019, 09:11 AM   #75
Mikhail
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mik

Quote:

It is very simple. Buy meat that you know is ethically raised, at least by your own standards.I suspect they vary by person. With the two decades or so of the local food movement that should be easy to do, just more expensive.