MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:43 AM   #3376
Beerwolf
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayDown View Post
Beerwolf, I agree that first time builds should be simple but some can't help but to tinker. I am one of those.

I kept nmy first build simple and am looking to make a second one but with some design changes I am still working on just to see the difference.

There is nothing wrong with building a better mousetrap... my point is to make sure you understand the mousetrap first before you start changing it... you will probably find that it will do all you want and your mods might be reserved to a bottle opener, shelf or a set of wheels or a trick paint job

Old 06-16-2009, 09:34 AM   #3377
Cecil
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubbie View Post
I read all the way through #3367, so I feel I've earned a few questions...

I got a free drum last week, got all the liner off and it just need to make a coal basket and a handle for the lid. Today found out I have a freebee stainless drum available in a couple weeks, so I'll use the steel one as a test build.

I understand the 'KISS' and this is a proven design, but I can't help but tinker:

$4 mod to see what it changes - I poured 2" of concrete in the bottom of the drum to act as an additional heat sink. Do you think I just created a longer get-up-to-cooking-temp time with little benefit ? (and just added 60 lbs of dead weight?) I was just trying to improve on the set-it and forget-it of the drum, and temp swings when opening the lid.

I only thought of this because I'm in the construction trade. Concrete/sand is often used to add thermal mass - "thermal enertia" for radiant floors, concrete filled cinder blocks for a greenhouse - or more closely related to this, a thermal mass wood stove, which is a 30 gal drum inside a 55 gal, with the space in between filled with mason's sand.

I'll let it cure until the weekend and give it a burn to see what happens. Whacha think?
With the extra 2 inches on the bottom that would mean your cooking grate will have to be 2 more inches higher. That would give you less space between the grate and the lid. Are you planning on using a grill lid instead of the flat lid?
=============================

NB Bandera
UDS
Cecil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2009, 09:44 AM   #3378
Cecil
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmcedar View Post
Cecil,

I have the same setup with the original lid and I just use these when shutting down the UDS, so my answer is, yes you also need to close off the exhaust ports.
Thanks for letting me know I'll need to block the exhaust holes. I think I'll just use frig. magnets to block the holes.
=============================

NB Bandera
UDS
Cecil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2009, 10:11 AM   #3379
StayDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerwolf View Post
There is nothing wrong with building a better mousetrap... my point is to make sure you understand the mousetrap first before you start changing it... you will probably find that it will do all you want and your mods might be reserved to a bottle opener, shelf or a set of wheels or a trick paint job

you very well might be right. I am looking into adding wheels and a shelf.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:52 PM   #3380
jtwisted13
Full Fledged Farker

always KISS... why screw up/with a proven thing?...lol

simple mods..

wire rack and a handle off of an old grill...modded 2 days ago. bottle opener next
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0305.JPG (151.5 KB, 1310 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0306.JPG (158.6 KB, 1300 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0311.JPG (161.2 KB, 1303 views)

Old 06-16-2009, 07:40 PM   #3381
Wyley
On the road to being a farker

Hey all, I made me a mini UDS over the weekend with a 30 gal drum that was given to me. I did an 8 pound Boston butt today and it turned out awesome. Temps stayed between 230-250 all day with just minor adjustments. I'm going tomorrow to pick up a couple of 55 gal drums to start on a regular sized UDS.
Wyley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2009, 08:02 PM   #3382
cardiac_cadet002
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyley View Post
Hey all, I made me a mini UDS over the weekend with a 30 gal drum that was given to me. I did an 8 pound Boston butt today and it turned out awesome. Temps stayed between 230-250 all day with just minor adjustments. I'm going tomorrow to pick up a couple of 55 gal drums to start on a regular sized UDS.
Hey Wyley, fellow TNFO here just down the road from ya! If you haven't already stop by cattle call and introduce yourself. glad to hear your mini UDS worked out great! How much height do you have between the bottom of your charcoal basket and cooking grate? Curious minds want to know!
Old Country BBQ Pits Smokehouse
36" Blackstone Griddle

1 U.T. Orange Thermapen
cardiac_cadet002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2009, 08:10 PM   #3383
Kubbie
Knows what a fatty is.

As I have a stainless 55 gal coming, and pretty much all the steel ones I want at $10 for a local yard – no real loss about this free concrete-bottomed drum. It’s not powder coated and tricked out…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidder View Post
I have a pizza pan bolted to the bottom of my charcoal basket and there was a piece of paper in the bottom of the drum and it never burned so I'm not to sure about your concrete idea. Also I've seen concrete explode from to much heat. One piece was thrown over twenty feet.
I’m not word about too much heat and exploding then, if the paper didn’t even burn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil View Post
With the extra 2 inches on the bottom that would mean your cooking grate will have to be 2 more inches higher. That would give you less space between the grate and the lid. Are you planning on using a grill lid instead of the flat lid?
I have 27” down from the grate to the bottom, when I make the rack it should put me at the 24”. I have about 6” above with the flat lid. With this one, it was an open barrel, and with the lip it’s 23 ½”, so the Weber lid doesn’t fit w/o modifying.

Us newbies get through this read in a few days to a week, so all is design and mods happen in a short time, even though the evolution took 2 ½ years to this point. I’m sure the long-timers don’t have the anticipation of getting a build going. But I bet a good majority of the people just joining read though, all the while in the back of their head are thinking up what spin of their own they can put on it…

Wasn’t trying to be the young hot-shot cowboy walking into the saloon of regulars. Just a brainstorm. I have learned my lesson. KISS…
Kubbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2009, 09:19 PM   #3384
mranum
Full Fledged Farker

It took me about 2 weeks to read this thread first time through and the anticipation really gets to ya. I just wish my work would slow down enough to let me finish it.

Everybody has to do something to make it their own, I know before I got my donor grill for parts I had planned on an antique tractor mod for the exhaust. Just because I'm a redneck with tractors to play with. Sorta thought that old tractor muffler exhaust flapper would look pretty cool on one along with maybe some John Deere green. A small magnet on the side of the stack should hold the flapper open when in use. But that will have to wait for the Kingsford UDS to get done before I get to the Johnny Popper UDS.
mranum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2009, 09:42 PM   #3385
Stiltz6ft9in
Full Fledged Farker

Ok, so I FINALLY finsihed the UDS about 3 weeks ago. I love it. I've cooked on it multiple times, turned out great Q and noticed somethings I need to change.

1. I don't have a cover where I store mine, so how do you guys cover the holes in the flat lid to keep water out?

2. I cannot seem to get the temp above 240-250. When the neighbor was welding my intakes in, he said the drum was a thin metal. He actually blew through it a couple of times. He fixed those, but what can I do?

3. The other thing that throws me off is when I open the lid forsomething (Which is rare) I get temp drops not spikes. Why is that?
Stiltz6ft9in is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2009, 10:00 PM   #3386
cardiac_cadet002
is one Smokin' Farker

how many intakes and what size are they Stiltz??
Old Country BBQ Pits Smokehouse
36" Blackstone Griddle

1 U.T. Orange Thermapen
cardiac_cadet002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2009, 10:39 PM   #3387
StayDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiltz6ft9in View Post
Ok, so I FINALLY finsihed the UDS about 3 weeks ago. I love it. I've cooked on it multiple times, turned out great Q and noticed somethings I need to change.

1. I don't have a cover where I store mine, so how do you guys cover the holes in the flat lid to keep water out?

2. I cannot seem to get the temp above 240-250. When the neighbor was welding my intakes in, he said the drum was a thin metal. He actually blew through it a couple of times. He fixed those, but what can I do?

3. The other thing that throws me off is when I open the lid forsomething (Which is rare) I get temp drops not spikes. Why is that?
1. I can't help because I have a pipe coming out of my bung and I just put a plastic cup over it.

2. All I have to do in order to get my temps up is to make sure one of the in takes (usually the ball valve) is facing the wind and open up the other two and off to the races she goes.

3. When opening the lid, you should get a temp drop. You are letting the heat escape. Now if you are in and out, then the temps should come right back in a bit. Be patient. If you dilly dally with the lid off then you will see a huge temp increase due to the amount of oxygen you are allowing into the drum

Old 06-16-2009, 10:52 PM   #3388
Kubbie
Knows what a fatty is.

Default HF Handle

I recall seeing this one, thanks for the tip.

Stopped at Harbor Freight today, had these hammers on sale for $3.99.

Cut it off, propane torch for a minute or so, and I could bend it right over.
Now I'll either get someone to weld it to the flat lid (no welding equip for me), or take a die and thread the end so I can attach it with some nuts and washers.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:59 PM   #3389
StayDown

what is everyone using to hang the flat lid off the side of the drum?

I need to go back through this again because I am looking to add a table for my maverick thermo and other items..plus I still do not have handles on the lid or thew sides of the drum....and nothing to raise the charcoal basket out with other than my hands...I also need to fab an ash shaker.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:36 PM   #3390
Kubbie
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Rookies - Read the thread

Read the entire thread.

Before I read the thread, I made this out of a metal 5 gal pail I had. Didn't have nearly the airflow for a complete even burn.

Also (before I read the thread) was going to try cutting this old compressor - 16" diameter tank for a coal basket with stable feet. Now might just cut it in 1/2, put a grate on it to have a place to set a hot chimney starter.
Go with an expanded metal surround.

And again, (BIRTT) - Got this free barrel that had corn sweetener / red lining.Thought it was a great score. Full day of burn. Bunch of grinding, sanding. Still too much liner left.

Wiped with denatured alcohol, gave another burn, then some more wire wheel.
Finally looked good.

As repeated often, get used one without a lining, or a new unlined one. Save yourself some of dirty work. Get to cooking faster.

Got some Kingsford for the test, and I have a few places by me that stock the Wicked Good lump and briqs, will get some for the first cook soon. Can't wait.

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker