MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:54 PM   #16
1911Ron
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motley Q View Post
The kettle is actually somewhat primative.
If you can cook on a kettle you can cook on anything!

Old 01-30-2013, 03:25 PM   #17
BBQdisciple
Full Fledged Farker

What are your experiences with smoking on the Akorn?? I like a lot of smoke flavor in my meat. With my ECB I throw split logs on top of charcoal as I cook. As efficiently as the Akorn burns fuel, I just wonder if the wood will burns enough. placement of wood is probably more vital.

I don't know. Thoughts from Akorn users?
BBQdisciple is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 05:08 PM   #18
Big dawg
Knows what a fatty is.

Get the akorn you won't regret it.

Jrow
Big dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 05:41 PM   #19
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

Akorn, wsm, or weber performer w/gas assist.

If it were me, I'd throw the gasser on craigslist and get a performer. It matches the gassers quickness and convenience if you use lump (rockin and rollin in 10-15 minutes). Seriously, I don't understand the gas grill concept. Its just an outdoor grill that costs 3 or 4 times as much.

I wish the akorn would have a propane ignition model.

And in regards to the long term durability of the akorn, its probably not as good as a kettle, but I'm sure it will last.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:55 PM   #20
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQdisciple View Post
......My only reservation is switching to all charcoal as I have been spoiled by propane for my grilling. Mainly because I have found propane lasts longer than coal so it is cheaper, less messy, and quicker to fire up anytime.. .
Brother, I've said ALL of this. I have a $900 weber genesis that has worked flawlessly over the past 9 years and you won't to hear something STUPID???

I recently bought a $35.00 weber smokey joe gold and I kid you not when I tell you that it blows the genesis out of the water when it comes to grilling! I was a non-believer, but can honestly tell you that, now that I'm confident and proficient with charcoal, I can't see myself firing up the genesis anytime in the near future.

Get the acorn, switch to all charcoal, and enjoy every single minute of it!
Freddy j is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 05:57 PM   #21
Zin
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineMaster View Post
I would say 26.75 Weber Kettle. Smoke, Grill. It will do it all!
+1 on the 26.75 Weber Kettle Grill simply awesome.. This grill does it all and the warranty plus great customer support and its a no brainer.
Zin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 06:00 PM   #22
BBQdisciple
Full Fledged Farker

I see those performers on sale right now at best buy too.

I loved my gasser. Get off work and fire it up with the press of a button, in less than 10 minutes it is ready to sear. Of course, I've never used a quality charcoal either.

I have both a propane and coal vertical smoker, the propane smoker never gets used.

The closest thing I ever had to a kamado was when I first started smoking I built one out of a terra cotta pot. I saw the design on good eats. I made mine a little better.

That thing held heat and cooked so well, I've been looking for that experience ever since. I cracked during a move otherwise it would still be burning.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:06 PM   #23
smokeyokie
is one Smokin' Farker

Buy a Weber Kettle then use the extra $ to buy accessories i.e. rotisserie, stoker or whatever you like. I use my kettles to do it all, I also have a UDS which gets a heavy workout also. IMO Weber gets the nod for most versatile for the $...
[SIZE=3]maverick ET 732[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]1 really, I mean really UGLY Drum Smoker[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]super fast RED and BLACK thermapens[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]_____________________[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Billy:flame:"Smoke on Brothers and Sisters"[/SIZE]
smokeyokie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 06:06 PM   #24
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy j View Post
I recently bought a $35.00 weber smokey joe gold and I kid you not when I tell you that it blows the genesis out of the water when it comes to grilling! I was a non-believer, but can honestly tell you that, now that I'm confident and proficient with charcoal, I can't see myself firing up the genesis anytime in the near future.
I completely agree. I'd rather have the cheapest of charcoal grills than use a gasser. I use mine maybe once or twice a year at that, and the food is just better off the wood/coal flames.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:10 PM   #25
fmm1
Knows what a fatty is.

I absolutely love my Akorn! Mine sealed VERY well straight out of the box but a lot of people do mod them a little bit to make them better. Once I put mine in the new table it tweaked just a littly bit but using the latch made the seal for me. For the price range it's hard to argue with. I switched from propane to charcoal and haven't looked back. Sure I miss the convenience a little bit of instant hot and right to temp but the taste just can't be beat.

GO TO THE USPS. Get a change of address packet and there is a 10% off coupon in there. It's good for use on the Akorn.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #26
fmm1
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQdisciple View Post
What are your experiences with smoking on the Akorn?? I like a lot of smoke flavor in my meat. With my ECB I throw split logs on top of charcoal as I cook. As efficiently as the Akorn burns fuel, I just wonder if the wood will burns enough. placement of wood is probably more vital.

I don't know. Thoughts from Akorn users?
I love smoke on mine too and have a pretty good stock pile of Oak. At 250-275 it will smoke non stop. At 220-230 it will smoke and slowly die after 2-3 hours out which actually works out real with ribs and what not. At 250+ I can really piss off my next door neighbor!

Old 01-30-2013, 06:23 PM   #27
BBQdisciple
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmm1 View Post
At 250+ I can really piss off my next door neighbor!
Love it

Old 01-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #28
Motley Q
On the road to being a farker

@trumpstyle.........you wish the akorn had a propane starter?? You drop a starter cube in and light it.

Now, that's difficult.

The home depots and lowes in my area stopped selling the performer with the gas start

It only takes 10-15 minutes to get the performer fire to GRILLING temp? Is it the David Blaine model?

Last edited by Motley Q; 01-30-2013 at 07:54 PM..
Motley Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 07:45 PM   #29
AugustusRooster
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Love my Akorn. Best bang for the buck out there, IMO.
AugustusRooster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 07:48 PM   #30
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motley Q View Post

It only takes 10-15 minutes to get the performer fire hot enough to grill? Is it the David Blaine model?
Yes, you can be cooking in very little time when using lump and a propane start.

And its the David Copperfield model.