MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:14 PM   #16
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Efficiency of fuel consumption may be another consideration.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2013, 08:26 PM   #17
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate749 View Post
Pit Barrel Cooker.. Hot? mine runs around 280-290 witch is fine for me.. I'm over the low and sloooow

And honestly.. yes flat out amazing
Yup, same here. Mine rocks about 290* at the rods. I've used my UDS exactly once since getting my PBC last March, and that was for a catering gig.

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2013, 08:41 PM   #18
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle
is one Smokin' Farker

Wsm.

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2013, 08:45 PM   #19
mbshop
Babbling Farker

http://pitbarrelcooker.com/about-us/

Old 01-16-2013, 08:46 PM   #20
mbshop
Babbling Farker

using rods with barrels is how its done around here.
i can't do a 55 barrel but i sure hope i can do a 30 .

Old 01-16-2013, 09:05 PM   #21
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Here's another way to look at it, that I hope is helpful. There's nothing that you can do in a WSM that you can't do in a PBC, but there are definitely things that you can do on a PBC that you can't in a (18.5") WSM.

- Cook eight slabs of ribs at once
- Cook at higher temps
- Grill
- Cook pizza (killer)
- Cook 12 Cornish game hen halves (requires extra hooks)
- Not clean a water pan
- Not clean grates (unless you use it - the hooks go in the dishwasher)

John

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-16-2013, 09:38 PM   #22
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision View Post
I think you'd be nuts to get a pbc over a wsm.
Two months ago, I couldn't have agreed w/ you more... than I bought and tried a PBC. That's all it took to make a believer out of me :)
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2013, 09:39 PM   #23
ToddM
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioDaddio View Post
Here's another way to look at it, that I hope is helpful. There's nothing that you can do in a WSM that you can't do in a PBC, but there are definitely things that you can do on a PBC that you can't in a (18.5") WSM.

- Cook eight slabs of ribs at once
- Cook at higher temps
- Grill
- Cook pizza (killer)
- Cook 12 Cornish game hen halves (requires extra hooks)
- Not clean a water pan
- Not clean grates (unless you use it - the hooks go in the dishwasher)

John
Didn't know we were limited to a 18.5 WSM. With my 22.5 I can do all of the things you list. I choose not to cook pizza because I don't feel the WSM (or the PBC) are the best tools for the job. I DO choose to clean my grates which consists of putting them over the lower section of the WSM and letting the old stuff burn off - no big deal.

I'm not downing the PBC by any stretch, but I can't see it matching the versatility of a WSM. Just my opinion.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:51 PM   #24
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Honestly, I think if you are the kind of guy that like to sit outside all day on a saturday, cooking up a butt and some ribs at a solid 225-250, then the WSM is for you.

Now if you are like me and like to cook during the week, get the PBC. The thing runs hotter and cuts down on cook times a LOT! I did a 5lb shoulder in about 4 hours on mine. Might be a later dinner than usual but its worth it. Or you can do a full rack of spare ribs in about 3 hours. Or fantastic chicken in about 1.5 to 2 hours. Or throw the grate in and do brats and burgers with a half basket of charcoal.

That's another thing! The WSM has a massive charcoal basket. The PBC's is pretty small. One load of charcoal in the basket of mine burns hot enough to be usable for a solid 10 hours, which is longer than you will need to cook most cuts of meat at 290*. And it did the 10 hour thing when it was near 35* outside.

Either are good choices though! And unlike others have said, I still use my UDS. For me it boils down to using the PBC on the weeknights and the UDS on the weekends when I have a whole saturday to spend outside. The PBC is great but I still love my low and slow.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:57 PM   #25
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddM View Post
Didn't know we were limited to a 18.5 WSM.
Just trying to maintain an apples-to-apples comparison, as it relates to size and price.

Right now a guy can get two PBCs to their door for very little (maybe $25) more than a 22" WSM delivered.

John

Old 01-16-2013, 10:43 PM   #26
Nate749
Knows what a fatty is.

i get this is a tuff decision.. I cant tell you how long i've lurked on here to get amazing tips and tricks about cooking (lurked before the server change).. Heck I have amazon prime and again can't tell you how many times I've had an 18 and 22.5 wsm in the cart about to check out.. i have read that wsm's run hot until seasoned and sometimes the door doesn't quite fit.. I didn't want a cooker that i had to add to for it to cook better ( and I understand that not all wsm's are this way) I like to experiment and try different things so I did and I am impressed and amazed.. I get that the wsm guys will say wsm is the way to go and won't even think about a PBC. But do think about options, I remember when Apple wasn't cool to own.. Or even heaven forbid I own a luxury Hyundai
Nate749 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2013, 12:18 AM   #27
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Build a UDS or build your version of a PBS. That's where the fun is. I have a 18.5 WSM. Love it. But to be honest, I rarely use it now. I use my drums all the time. They are set it and forget it too. I could add rods and hooks and have my own PBS. Both are set and forget. Just comes down to which marketing strategy your prefer. Weber warranty is nice. I can vouche for the customer service! How much will you truly cook at once or on a regular basis. If you can't build your own, I'd give the edge to the PBS since it's basically a UDS with hooks and rods. Just my .02. Also, I like the fact that you can get those higher temps faster with the drum type smoker. My opinion is based more on what I've learned and achieved from making my own Drums. There is a good bit of personal science there too which I enjoy figuring out. WSM are rock solid. For me, the first time I cooked over the coals in the Drum was a great experience.

Bob
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP

Last edited by BobBrisket; 01-17-2013 at 01:03 AM..
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2013, 12:24 AM   #28
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
... If you can't build your own, I'd give the edge to the [PBC] since it's basically a UDS with hooks and rods.
And high-temp powder coat, and a pre-measured coal basket cut from 14" steel pipe,
and a custom stand, and greater portability, and the company owner's cell number on
the cooker.

John

Old 01-17-2013, 12:38 AM   #29
BobBrisket

Quote:
And high-temp powder coat, and a pre-measured coal basket cut from 14" steel pipe, and a custom stand, and greater portability.

John
I can't powder coat, but that is a nice advantage on drum type steel especially for the exterior. As for the interior, I like making my own coating over the course of many cooks. Having a solid made coal basket is a plus too. Course, anyone with welding skills can make one as good and even more stout. I will admit that I really like the horseshoe stands and handles. That is a nice touch. As for portability. Edge goes to the PBC too. Maybe bigger in diameter and possibly heavier, but the three separate sections of the WSM can make for issues when transporting. I know that for a fact. The thinner steel on the WSM makes for trickier transport issues too. It simply bends out of shape easier if you are not careful. Been there too. When transporting my UDS to a tailgate, I put the tie down on it and rachet away. I don't worry about bending issues. Then again, portability is a big factor for me. I do travel with my drum quite a bit when we take out 5th wheel out camping. If I don't want to take the Q Can, we take my son's MUDS. I'm getting a bit off topic, but I've gained a love and fascination for DRUM Type pits.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:49 AM   #30
BobBrisket

Quote:
And high-temp powder coat, and a pre-measured coal basket cut from 14" steel pipe,
and a custom stand, and greater portability, and the company owner's cell number on
the cooker.

John
One recommendation I'd make, and this is the welder and fabricator in me talking. For a ring that stout, I'd expect the expando to cover the entire circumference of the ring and welded at every single point. This is where that attention to detail, etc type edge would go to Weber and the WSM. You'd expect fully welded joints on every point of a Weber grate. That kind of detail adds labor and cost, but for those that like to make their own, it's an attention to detail thing. Unwelded edges like that will warp over time. Again, I really get into this type of stuff. Hate to say it, but I look at something and think of how I could make it better. Just how my mind works.
While the Weber/WSM coal ring may not be as thick, it is porcelain coated. The air holes in the WSM ring are a bit of an advantage as well. Keep in mind, a WSM can be used WITHOUT the water pan. You can easily convert a WSM into a UDS type cooker.

Powder coat on exterior vs porcelain in and out is a factor too. I don't worry about my WSM rusting from the inside or outside. Even with a powder coat on the exterior of the PBC, there is no coating on the interior from what I can see. Like I said, some good greasy cooks will season it, but there will still be raw steel in there and rust can get at it if you do not care for it. Even with the gorgeous "patina" that I have have built in my drums, I know that if that patina gets burned off, scraped off etc, the bare metal is exposed to rust, so I need to keep an eye on that with my drums.

Last edited by BobBrisket; 01-17-2013 at 01:15 AM..