Pork belly burnt ends

Blowin' Smoke

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Seeking guidance here. I’m planning on cubing up a pork belly, seasoning and smoking until they get a good bark, then saucing in a pan. The last time I did them, I smoked the whole belly then cubed and I wasn’t happy with them, so I’m going this route. My question is: if I cube them from the start, how long should I plan to smoke on the WSM?

Also will they be ok if I cook them Friday night, refrigerate, then reheat for a party Saturday afternoon? I will have to travel a few hours to the party, otherwise I would cook them Saturday.

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depending on cook temp, 1.5" cubed pork belly takes me about 3 hours to render the fat properly. While fatty pork usually reheats pretty well, I find that saucy things do less well for my liking. It would probably still be good reheated in an oven. Maybe you could even wait to sauce until the reheat occurs.

Last edited:
I apologize for stating the obvious, but it depends on the temp. Whatever temp you go with, go by sight instead of time. You’re really rendering the fat vs looking for bark. I do them cubed in a 3 step process. Smoked & rendered first, then I put them in a cast iron pot. I put a bunch of butter and brown sugar on them at that point & give it another hour or so. In the meantime, I make a home made ginger bourbon bbq sauce (typical home made red bbq sauce with a bunch of fresh ginger & one of the darker bourbons). The sauce goes in the pot & let it go long enough for everything to blend together. At that point, I like to put the burnt ends on warm tortillas with quick pickled red onions. The sweet flavor of the pork belly contrasts with the sour of the pickled onions. To give it an extra kick, top it with queso fresco & cojita cheese.

Thanks for the input, guys. I will post pics on Friday when I get everything started. Planning to cube and smoke, then fridge overnight. I will throw them on some heat in the pan and sauce once they’re warm at the party.

I'm doing one on Friday. I've tried this both ways - smoked whole then cubed, and cubed from the start.

JMHO -cubing from the start will get you there faster, but I like the smoke exposure with a whole belly cooked to about a 175 IT. It renders a good bit of fat before you cube it, and it's easier to deal with as a whole piece.

Once I cube / rub / sauce it, it becomes a game of patience with the panned cubes back in the smoke. They will pick up more smoke. I let them ride until tender. It takes some time and can't be rushed.

I plan an entire day for pork belly burnt ends.

4a9e7437664ccbd38d40e04ac634ca37.jpg
c331028a23f556fb6f715a36dbe1aff7.jpg
a9edf0d05f512f750ad3067371983a52.jpg

Here’s some beginning pics. I cubed up the belly, rubbed with my bbq rub, and threw on the smoker over pecan wood.

Cooked around 300 for about 2 hours (3 YO had a bounce house and friends over, so wasn’t paying close attention), then pulled off. They ended up kinda crispy on the outside, Smokey, but melt in your mouth. Put them in a pan and into the fridge. I plan to heat and sauce them tomorrow when I get to the party, but so far I’m very happy with them. Pics aren’t the best, sorry. My iPhone 6 ain’t what it used to be.
f34a9e97444b572c8914b4798b5263e4.jpg
12f4db32e0f9ddd77702968a20192e18.jpg

Back