MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-04-2017, 03:54 AM   #1
ColdFusion71
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Exclamation Running low on fuel

Morning all, coming up on 5am here on the east coast and I'm about 6 hours into a cook of 2 beautiful pork butts totaling around 18lb. Temps are great, smoke is great, basically everything is running right except that I'm running low on charcoal.

I'm smoking on the tried and true weber kettle and set up a snake a little over halfway around the grill. Lit it with about 4 briqs from the chimney got the temp right, got the boiling water in and laid the big suckers down. My most recent check showed great grill Temps and an internal temp of around 115. However I'm more than 3/4 through the snake. I'm using the kingsford long burning stuff.

I wanted to know the best way to restart this thing when it burns through the fuel and starts to bleed heat.
ColdFusion71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2017, 04:01 AM   #2
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Well, don't use that method, but just offering some possibles here. Maybe start another snake starting where the fresh coals are at so it continues through. Normally I bank coals on one end and add as needed via the flip grate. Also, I put the lid vents over the meat or opposite the coals to make for some convection but exhaust as well.

Also, that boiling water may be acting as a heat sink. Honesltly, no need for water pan in a kettle. Removing it will increase temps and make for a quicker cook. Butts have enough fat to make for a moist end product. Water is not needed. A pic of your set up will help us help u.

Bob
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP

Last edited by BobBrisket; 07-04-2017 at 04:08 AM..
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-04-2017, 04:13 AM   #3
ColdFusion71

The coals started all the way to the left and you can see the end of the snake on the right near the 2nd shoulder.

Last edited by ColdFusion71; 07-04-2017 at 04:21 AM.. Reason: show picture

Old 07-04-2017, 04:15 AM   #4
BobBrisket

Pic isn't showing up for me.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.

Old 07-04-2017, 04:20 AM   #5
Titch
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

Scrape the coals away and add to the snake mate, just shut the lid as fast as you can

Old 07-04-2017, 04:22 AM   #6
ColdFusion71

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
Pic isn't showing up for me.
Yeah it didn't seem to want to work here either. should be showing up now.

Old 07-04-2017, 04:24 AM   #7
BobBrisket

There we go.

Old 07-04-2017, 04:24 AM   #8
MisplacedTexan
Full Fledged Farker

Only way to extend your cook time on a kettle using the ring of fire or snake method, is to extend the ring or snake.

You don't have a hinged grate so adding coals will be risky. I've successfully done it before. There are two options - remove meat, remove grill, add coals, replace grill, replace meat OR remove grill with meat in place add coals and replace grill with meat in place.

Option two is faster and doesn't disturb the meat, if you have two people (with heat resistant gloves) to lift the grill but you run the risk of dropping the meat.

If you're on your own - go with the first option, take your time, and don't drop the meat.

Remove the water pan while you have the grill off and replace with a drip pan to catch the delicious drippings.

I can see the pic if I right click and open in a new tab...

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-04-2017, 04:26 AM   #9
ColdFusion71

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisplacedTexan View Post
Only way to extend your cook time on a kettle using the ring of fire or snake method, is to extend the ring or snake.

You don't have a hinged grate so adding coals will be risky. I've successfully done it before. There are two options - remove meat, remove grill, add coals, replace grill, replace meat OR remove grill with meat in place add coals and replace grill with meat in place.

Option two is faster and doesn't disturb the meat, if you have two people (with heat resistant gloves) to lift the grill but you run the risk of dropping the meat.

If you're on your own - go with the first option, take your time, and don't drop the meat.

Remove the water pan while you have the grill off and replace with a drip pan to catch the delicious drippings.

I can see the pic if I right click and open in a new tab...
Actually that grate does have hinges. Not very big ones but they are there. Though I think I will have my brother help me when he gets here to lift the grates off and rebuild the snake, also replace water pan with drip pan. Thanks for the advice.

Old 07-04-2017, 04:27 AM   #10
BobBrisket

Yeah, just tap the ash down and remove if possible. And add to the end of the snake. Personally, I'd just add some coal on one end or bank them and put the butts on opposite end. If the pan is just catching drippings, then good. If full of water, it is acting as a heat sink and zapping lots of the heat. Plus, it is keeping heat from hitting the meat from underside for a faster cook.

Bob

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:29 AM   #11
BobBrisket

For that amount of time and coal, they should have more color on em. Maybe pic is off, but they look plenty raw still. How are you running intakes and exhaust?

Old 07-04-2017, 04:30 AM   #12
BobBrisket

Looks like. You do have the hinged grate, yes!

Old 07-04-2017, 04:32 AM   #13
ColdFusion71

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
For that amount of time and coal, they should have move color on em. Maybe pic is off, but they look plenty raw still. How are you running intakes and exhaust?
Yeah that picture isn't a great representation. Old porch lights+old camera phone=bad picture.

I'm reading an internal temp of 115 on the left and 119 on the right.

Old 07-04-2017, 04:34 AM   #14
BobBrisket

How long have they been on? You said those are 6 hours in, right! They shouldn't be reading that temp. They should be done already.

Old 07-04-2017, 04:35 AM   #15
ColdFusion71

I've been cooking them since about midnight, so almost 6 hours.

Tags
charcoal, fuel, restart, Smoking