Uds questions

Ham14

Take a breath!
Reaction score
What are the differences between a uds and a wsm? Is temp control hard? Can you add wood or coal during a cook? How much meat can you put on one? Is there a water pan or what catches the grease. Main reason I ask about one is my new cooker has to stay at my sisters house since we live in apartments and there's no room for it. It does get old from time to time having to carry all my cooking stuff across town to cook. Was thinking maybe to have something here that I could use when I don't want to load up everything. Thanks for any info on these. Since I don't have anyway to build one do people sell these. Thanks

Odds are good that if you can't have a WSM at your place, you can't have a UDS.

I don't have either. Watching YouTube videos there about the right size to have here. The cooker I have at my sisters is an assassin 48 inch grill/smoker. Not enough space for that

Your best bet at an apartment is either a electric to keep on a balcony or floor patio.....BEST thing is to have a mini (a real cooker) that you can easily carry out to a common area where real grilling is allowed. Also a mini will let you easily travel with you to where ever. I made the "Jimmy" which is a jumbo sized mini 18.5"...a hell of a cooker also. Sure nothing wrong with the 14.5 regular mini though!

Here is the Jimmy (younger days), since has been broken in, no longer as new and shiny. lol

Those look nice. Wish I could build one. Sad thing is I don't even have a drill. Apartment living is so wonderful.

What are the differences between a uds and a wsm? Is temp control hard? Can you add wood or coal during a cook? How much meat can you put on one? Is there a water pan or what catches the grease. Main reason I ask about one is my new cooker has to stay at my sisters house since we live in apartments and there's no room for it. It does get old from time to time having to carry all my cooking stuff across town to cook. Was thinking maybe to have something here that I could use when I don't want to load up everything. Thanks for any info on these. Since I don't have anyway to build one do people sell these. Thanks

I just built a UDS from an old drum laying around at work- I'm very glad I did, we've been using it most weekends- awesome food comes out of it every time. Quick answers for ya:

1) I don't have experience with a WSM, so I can't answer that one- the following is all about the UDS.
2) Adding fuel: No, you can't add wood or charcoal during a cook, at least not easily, but it doesn't matter if you build your charcoal basket big enough. I used a 17" diameter Weber grate and fenced it in with 7" tall expanded steel. I just did a 15 hour pork butt no problem, I had unburned charcoal to spare.
3) Temp control: no problem. I went high tech and got a BBQ Guru Party-Q. It automatically adds air to keep the temp you set. It's rock solid. Others say that isn't necessary; once you get your intakes set, it maintains temp.
4) Meat qty: I put in two Weber racks, so I assume I could pretty much load up both racks with meat. I haven't tried that yet.
5) Grease catcher: I built a heat diffuser which seems to catch it, then it drips into the coals. I wipe up anything that's at the bottom of the drum with a paper towel at the beginning of the next cook. I haven't tried the water pan, but I might give it a shot at some point- I'll put it on the second rack.

Photos of the build and the bounty: http://s347.photobucket.com/user/zp_34/library/UDS - Ugly Drum Smoker

-Dan

Apartment? You only indicated that you did not have room - not that owning a charcoal smoker was prohibited. If you can own and operate one AND space is at a premium, then a 14.5 or 18.5 WSM might fit the bill. Very small footprints, easy to learn and turn out great product. The 14.5 might be considered to be "too small" but depending on the number of folk you routinely cook for, might be the ticket. Not sure if they have all been snapped up - but Walmart was closing out their 14.5's for $99.00 in our area- that's half off.

I can have truly any size. I have the space for more of a vertical style smoker. Just when I cook it has to be 10 ft from building. Really going to look into finding someone selling the uds. Looks like they cook good from everything I see.

The UDS is a fine choice for sure.

I've seen them for sale on CL from time to time. If you can't score a nice drum and/or have some basic tools, that might be the way to go. Thing is - some folk making them *want* to charge you what you could BUY a new WSM for.

Keep your eyes peeled and be as patient as you can.

You might also want to checkout the Pit Barrel Cooker which is $299. There are some nice Drums out there Hunsaker and Gateway come to mind but they are twice the price of a WSM 22.5 though.

The UDS is a fine choice for sure.

I've seen them for sale on CL from time to time. If you can't score a nice drum and/or have some basic tools, that might be the way to go. Thing is - some folk making them *want* to charge you what you could BUY a new WSM for.

Keep your eyes peeled and be as patient as you can.

I will keep my eyes open for a price that's fair or I'll see if I can find someone who might have the tools. Thanks for your help and I will check out Walmart for any reduced prices for wsm. Maybe someone will live close by off the the site that I can get one but I'm not in big hurry.

I will keep my eyes open for a price that's fair or I'll see if I can find someone who might have the tools. Thanks for your help and I will check out Walmart for any reduced prices for wsm. Maybe someone will live close by off the the site that I can get one but I'm not in big hurry.

It sure could not be easier or less complicated to make a UDS or especially a mini. I'd be glad you give you some help in any way I can.

Found a guy in Texas that sells them but the shipping cost more than the drum. Can't do that.

If anyone near Augusta has a uds let me know. Shipping of $250 bucks is crazy.

Back