MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-30-2014, 11:48 AM   #1
mrjoe
On the road to being a farker

Default Smoked Short Ribs

Finally took the plunge and bought chuck short ribs at RD $4.29lb. 17 pounds worth. Cooked all of them on a WSM. It was a cold windy day, I was aiming for a 6 hour cook @250. Wound up being about 8 hour cook struggling to get to 250 in 20-30 degree windy weather. I've since built a wind screen to block the wind and keep temps up.

I rubbed those guys in a hill country rub (salt,pepper, cayenne pepper). Half way through the cook I sprayed them with a mixture 1/3 mango nectar, 1/3 wrcstr. sauce, 1/3 water and wrapped them in brown butcher paper. I had done a frankling style brisket 1x before and I wanted. The butcher paper really kept the juices in. I'm thinking of using it from now on as my go to over foil. Might as well... got a mammoth role at RD.

The result was fall off the bone tender ribs, with a nice bark. Not bad for a first try. I think if I do it again I would just cook 1/2 of the ribs and freeze the rest. With less meat I'd really like to push it up to an internal temp of 190 to 195, to really nail em.

P.S. made some coca cola hill country sauce on the side, was spot on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.JPG (74.8 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.jpg (55.2 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg photo 3.jpg (57.1 KB, 133 views)
mrjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2014, 01:20 PM   #2
VoodoChild
is one Smokin' Farker

Nice Work ! Look great
1- WEBER RANCH KETTLE
VoodoChild is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2014, 01:28 PM   #3
Stingerhook
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Marty

Fine mess of ribs you have there.

UDS now gone, WSM 18", WSM 22" and pellet pooper in the garage for 18 months now.
Stingerhook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2014, 02:10 PM   #4
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Mmmmmm Yummy.

Tags
beef ribs, short ribs, Weber Smokey Mountain, WSM