• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Lighting my first UDS with fluid?

Fatalis

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I don't have a chimney starter, I planned on just taking a full basket of charcoal, putting fluid on it and quickly putting it in the UDS and lighting a match or dropping a piece of paper in it.

Is this a bad idea or a good one?:roll:

bad idea, no fluid. light the top of the basket with a propane torch, or get some fire stater cubes.

is there a link to ban someone?

JK. lighter fluid is a big NO-NO. go buy a chimney starter or a weed burner from harbor freight. thank me later.

Light an oil soaked paper towel under the basket. When enough coals become lit underneath lift the basket into the UDS.
It is ideal, however, to have the lit coals on top of the basket.

One thing i use at home in my charcoal grill is I stick the tip of my benzomatic propane torch up inside the intake vent holes...only takes about 2 minutes and you are up and running. Could also just crumble up paper in the bottom and then split some wood very thin (hardwood) into kindling, lay that on top of the paper and then put some charcoal on the top and the paper usually ignites the kindling which in turn lights the charcoal....just add more charcoal before you finish off to cook your meat.

BernzoMatic JT800 High Output Outdoor Torch (JT850)

This makes a world of difference, eliminates the "jackin around" of lighting the fire!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 274
Dump the amount of charcoal you want in the UDS basket, make a little hole in the center and take a fist size amount of frito's and put them in the little trench you made and lite them, enjoy and always keep Frito's around:cool:

In my UDS I fill the basket nearly to desired level, then light it with a chimney of lit lump. I light the newspapers in the bottom of the chimney and let it burn till it's got white on the coals then I put on a welders glove and pour the coals on top of the basket. After that I wait for the temps to climb, and the smoke to go to a very light blue, kinda wispy... All before I add meat to the UDS. (Works for me)

Don't use stinky chemicals in your drum.

Got a call one day saying do you sell lids for your smokers? I said yes but tell me more. He said at a big family gathering, he was ready to fire it up and forgot my chimney instructions. So he put some lighter fluid in the box and went to look for a light. His uncle came around wanting dinner so he poured some fluid on the coals and he too went for a match. Well along came the uncle's friend. which you guessed it poured more fluid in, lit the coals and put the lid on fast. Well a few seconds later KABOOOM and off to the roof went the lid. Back to the caller, he keeps saying do you sell lids only? By now I'm laughing pretty hard and said if you promise never to tell me a story like that, I'll give you a replacement lid. Moral of story, lighter fluid is good for stories, not cooking. Buy a chimney at HD(not galvanized) and use often. Steve.

Dump the amount of charcoal you want in the UDS basket, make a little hole in the center and take a fist size amount of frito's and put them in the little trench you made and lite them, enjoy and always keep Frito's around:cool:

I normally use a chimney, but I just may do this next time just for fun and to see how well it works. :mrgreen:

Back