MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:05 PM   #1
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel
Default Newbie Competition Scoring question

So last weekend I took part in my first competition, at the Royal (I know, nothing like facing Justin Verlander when all you've done is hit in the batting cage, huh?). Having no illusions of Grandeur, I focused on having a good time (had more fun than I imagined), and cooking my two items as well as I could. My wife's work thing, so I was only responsible for brisket and chicken, but some of my friends and I are considering doing a few comps a year now, and I had a couple basic questions.

1) What would be a decent first time score? I know the weighting system and everything, but I'm trying to wrap my head around what's "Good" (other than 180).

2) How can I get my individual scores (taste, tenderness, appearance)? Obvioiusly we got the total scores in the booklet they passed out after the awards ceremony, but can I see how I did in these areas? Thanks!

Also, I plan on posting some pics here in a bit to my boxes to have them roundly laughed at, but for now, thanks for the feedback on this.
midwest_kc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2012, 01:40 PM   #2
Big_AL
Full Fledged Farker

I'll leave the first question for a more experienced team to answer.

To answer your 2nd question, it's my understanding the full judges scoring breakdown will be sent to the team captain via US mail.

Post your boxes and use the feedback, negative and/or positive, to your advantage.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

I thought I posted this in the competition forum. My apologies, for the error.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:15 PM   #4
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

Big Al, thanks for the answer, I suspected this was the case, but wasn't certain.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
SOB
Full Fledged Farker

Anything in the Mid 160's is a pretty decent score. My team concentrated on getting all four categories into the mid 160's and now we are tweaking things here and there and trying to get scores into the 170s. But Id say scores in the 160s for a first time out is pretty good.
If you dont mind what did you get on your chicken and brisket scores? Looked pretty good in the pics.
SOB is offline   Reply With Quote