Fire Bricks

jt

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
I'm getting fire bricks for the 'dera and was presented with 2 thicknesses. 2 5/8" or 1 1/4". Any suggestions?

jt said:
I'm getting fire bricks for the 'dera and was presented with 2 thicknesses. 2 5/8" or 1 1/4". Any suggestions?

I used 1 1/4 in both the firebox and smoke chamber. They work fine, you will loose another 1 inch of Ash room and the water pan will have to move up to next set of holders in the smoke chamber if you use the thicker ones.

I don't know what Home Depot charges but I called the local brick/masonry supply yard. 1 1/4" bricks are $1.20 each.

I bought my 1 1/4 " bricks at Austin Brick Co. a.k.a. MPI (Materials Products International) for 90 cents apiece here in Austin. My guess is any brick store or masonry supply would have them. I couldn't find them at any BBQ stores, or even stores that carry fireplaces around here.

A little tip on cutting them: Don't try unless you're a perfectionist. A skill saw with a metal cutting blade may work, but it would take forever, even if you just want to score the bricks before breaking them, or you could buy a diamond blade if you have money to burn.
The easiest way I found is to break the bricks instead of cutting them. Just smack it with a hammer. It's more fun that way, anyway. Now don't go crazy... the bricks are very brittle. Try to hold the brick between two solid surfaces with only the part you want gone hanging out. Give a quick tap, and the piece should break off easily. use a chisel or screwdriver to chip off any glaring jagged edges.
Be sure to get a couple of extra bricks in case you accidentally pulverize some..

I use the leftover broken pieces to set my digital thermometers on top of the dera to keep them cool.

Having laid 400 hundred pavers for a sidewalk I learned you can score the brick then pop it with a hammer for a clean cut or a masonary blade ~$5 I think ? Dad in-law a mason by trade I picked up a few tricks.

There is only one place to get fire bricks and that is at a brick yard that make them. Many brick yards are in Denver and only one makes them. Any brick yard you call will tell you which yard makes them(look in the yellow pages). They have a limited use because most homes are being built with metal gas fireplaces insted of Masonary. They cut real easy with a $4 to $5 masonary cutting blade on a radial arm or hand power circular saw. You want tight fits to keep heat in.

Try your local tool rental, for a wetsaw if you want a custom fit. 40 bucks for half day maybe cheaper by the hour.

If I can't do it with my trusty chisel or circular saw, my bro-in-law is a mason and I'll have him cut whatever is needed on his wetsaw.

jt said:
If I can't do it with my trusty chisel or circular saw, my bro-in-law is a mason and I'll have him cut whatever is needed on his wetsaw.

Believe me, these things are soft and easy to get a clean cut without a wet saw. Your circular saw with a composite mason disk will do it.

If you got guts and a steady hand just use an offset grinder with masonry disk :D

Heck you can get the grinder from Harbor Freight for $9.99 and the disk for a buck at Lowe's.

I've used one to cut Hardyplank and panels and since all you need to do is score the firebricks this would be a cheap way to go -- bet you or a neighbor has a 4 or 4.5 inch angle grinder. :mrgreen:

Just do a yellow pages search.

I found like 6 places in my area, I think.

Greg, if your interested, theres Pierces Fire Brick Co in Joliet just nort of 80

Back