• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Weber kettle second cooking grate

chriscw81

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I know I've seen some pics of how folks managed to temporarily add a second cooking grate in the kettle but can't seem to find them searching. I've got lots of wings to cook tonight. Any ideas out there? I'm about to be going to Lowe's and Wal-Mart so I can pick just about anything up. The easier the better though.

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

get a 18in or 14in grate. buy some 1-2in stainless steal bolts/washers and afix them to the extra grate and then just put the grate on your 22in grate. extra grate space!

Lay a couple bricks on the outer perimeter of main rack.....lay a smaller grid on the bricks.

I've done this with a 22 inch rack on my kettle.
extrarack.jpg

Last edited:
Buy a second grate the same size and flip it over the original grate, the 2nd grate will sit perfectly on the original grates handles, perfect for wings and ribs. Good luck!

Just a quick shot of my rig. Iuseit when I want to cook several full untrimmed slabs of ribs. The carrage bolt heads just set on the lower grate.
rack_zps0c27acde.jpg

The people who make the smokenator also make a product called the hover grill that supposedly works well.

Big Green Egg makes a "Grill Extender", it's about $25, the sides fold up. I have one that I've never used.
I have my 22 1/2" OTG set up for a sirloin steak cook, I'm waiting for the wifey to get home!
I threw the grill extender in and took a couple of pics.
bgegrillextender.jpg

bgegrillextender02.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the great ideas, I knew the brethren would come through! I ended up using the foil trick tonight but I now have lots of tricks up my sleeves.

Big Green Egg makes a "Grill Extender", it's about $25, the sides fold up. I have one that I've never used.
I have my 22 1/2" OTG set up for a sirloin steak cook, I'm waiting for the wifey to get home!
I threw the grill extender in and took a couple of pics.
bgegrillextender.jpg

bgegrillextender02.jpg

Thanks for snapping the pics for me, I appreciate at it. I think I'll pick one of those up for a more permanent solution for this kind of situation.

Last edited:
Not a problem, that is what The Brethren is all about!
I'm just sitting here getting farked up waiting for the wifey to get home anyway!

Nice, I'm doing exactly the same thing :mrgreen:

je9e2emu.jpg

Great ideas all around, gonna use a few of those myself. By the way, what is all of that white stuff in those pics?

Back